Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Just watched a bit of a post-practice interview with Kawhi, and the man is stoic. Reporter asked how he felt about being able to shut down Simmons like he did this year, and he said: "That's just the regular season. Playoffs are played a little different. I wanna focus and win this game coming. The past doesn't help me at all". The man never gets too high or too low, just a mean laser-focus on the task at hand. Probably will come out with the same high-end mental disposition and quiet confidence on game 2, whether tonight is an L or a W.

I always cringe when players get too cocky or complacent after wins, and when they have mental hissy-fits after the odd L like some fans do. Kawhi is the opposite of that, and that's another quality he brings, that even-keelless you need to weather the ebbs and flows of a series. That's something that even Lowry (who's a 10+ year vet) alluded to (paraphrasing) : "Kawhi in the locker room helps us not to get too high or too low after games". May sound boring, but you need that kind of mental stability on deep playoff run, and it looks like this year we have it.
    Yeah I like that type of confidence. And it's the perfect star for this team. The Raptors in the past always seemed to be held back because of their mental fortitude. Was that because of DeMar/Lowry/Casey? Maybe the insecurity of the fans crept in? Not sure what it was.. but this team is different. Even that loss to Orlando didn't faze them at all. They were all so confident in their capabilities and it showed through games 2-5.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah I like that type of confidence. And it's the perfect star for this team. The Raptors in the past always seemed to be held back because of their mental fortitude. Was that because of DeMar/Lowry/Casey? Maybe the insecurity of the fans crept in? Not sure what it was.. but this team is different. Even that loss to Orlando didn't faze them at all. They were all so confident in their capabilities and it showed through games 2-5.
      Yeah I think it helps that he doesn't really use social media. I mean, I know fans are the very reason the whole thing exists and they can be a real source of motivation, but the truth is, certain fans can be real drama queens after losses. This subset of fans will often cobble together some old/new numbers to paint player/team X in a shitty way in order to rationalize their doubt/fear (or out of simple desire to troll a particular team/player they have a bias against), right at the time they need motivation to bounce back. Players don't need to see that shit. These are often young adults, I don't care how much money they're making, they're not gonna be immune to the cesspool that often flows around social media (unless they choose to stay away from it during playoffs). Looks like they're learning to insulate themselves from that though, Lots of savvy vets on our team, that helps with the playoff grind.

Comment

• https://theundefeated.com/features/k...e-here-for-it/

Comment

• Good article.

Leonard is old school, dude has cornrows like A.I did 15-20 years ago and he pretty much lives like he is still in that time. We are far more distracted & anxious using all those social media hand held devices than we were back than.

Good for Leonard in finding...new balance (heh) in his life & focusing on what's important. Which ever decision he makes whether to stay in Toronto or leave, it would be much more calculated decision with less ego involved than the one made by Vince or Bosh.

Comment

• Thanks for posting this, this is an excellent article. Really hits the nail on the head on what's been happening in the league

Comment

• Comment

• just fanning out here but when kawhi had the ball in his hand scoring felt so inevitable it reminded me of prime kobe. obviously their games are different but that confidence in kawhi felt unmatched.
                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• The Sixers just have absolutely no one who can guard him. No one. Throw in Embiid being a little hobbled and not able to be aggressive on screens, leaving Kawhi’s jumper open off screens, and this round is looking like it will be real easy for Kawhi.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    The Sixers just have absolutely no one who can guard him. No one. Throw in Embiid being a little hobbled and not able to be aggressive on screens, leaving Kawhi’s jumper open off screens, and this round is looking like it will be real easy for Kawhi.
                    He was making Butler look like a child.

Keep it up Kawhi.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      Some of your finest work right here. Lol

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                        ...Players don't need to see that shit. These are often young adults, I don't care how much money they're making, they're not gonna be immune to the cesspool that often flows around social media (unless they choose to stay away from it during playoffs). Looks like they're learning to insulate themselves from that though, Lots of savvy vets on our team, that helps with the playoff grind.
                        I am sure there is truth to what you say. You can certainly see players on twitter, and getting caught in the middle of twitter storms. You would have to be very strong not to be affected by it I would guess. Good point about the age thing. Top fraction of 1% athletically, but still young men in their 20's navigating a life they probably weren't prepared for emotionally.

Comment

• OMG...that was just sick last night, nasty, just absolutely dirty...kawhi is a bad bad man. Butler, supposed top perimeter defender, could not do a thing to slow leonard. What a performance to witness!

Comment

• That was an amazing game for Kawhi. He takes this team to another level and makes anything seem possible. Siakim developing into his sidekick gives the Raptors a look no one knew possible even earlier in the season. This might be the year.

Comment

• Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                The Sixers just have absolutely no one who can guard him. No one. Throw in Embiid being a little hobbled and not able to be aggressive on screens, leaving Kawhi’s jumper open off screens, and this round is looking like it will be real easy for Kawhi.
                                I think they should be banging embiid off everything they can. Also, I'd play extra physical on both Simmons and Reddick, they are super easy to get off their game.... hot heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X