Clear All

• 007 wrote: View Post
    The Clippers are real thirsty...what the fuck is this logo story lol
    Their GM knows a thing or 2 about branded logos
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
      The Clippers are real thirsty...what the fuck is this logo story lol
      Anytime I hear about the Clippers or Lakers, I picture that (cuz that's what they sound like right now):

Comment

• Who will he spend the majority of his time guarding tonight?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          Who will he spend the majority of his time guarding tonight?
          Klay.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Anytime I hear about the Clippers or Lakers, I picture that (cuz that's what they sound like right now):

The resemblance is uncanny. Ballmer is creepy....

Last edited by G__Deane; Thu May 30, 2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• If Kawhi guards Draymond. That should bust up that Pick n' Roll with Steph, which is the engine of their offense.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                That could create a fascinating situation.

The Clippers aren't just the basketball team. The parent company, Los Angeles Clippers, Inc., owns the team, as one division, but it also has a marketing and retailing division, and there's some other stuff, including I believe a Clippers Foundation. The marketing and retailing division is what sells official Clippers gear. If Los Angeles Clippers, Inc. bought the Klaw, it would be assigned to the marketing division. They would be under the same obligation to market Klaw gear as Nike is, with payment of royalties to Kawhi.

Say the Clippers bought the rights to the Klaw before signing Kawhi. Then, say that Kawhi re-signs with the Raps. The Clippers would still be legally obligated to market Klaw gear vigorously and in good faith while he's playing for a different team.

It would be hilarious! If the Clippers didn't follow through and market Klaw gear energetically, and in good faith, Kawhi could sue the crap out of them, while he's playing for the Raps!

But I suppose the Clippers idea is that they would tell Kawhi, in negotiations while trying to sign him, that they'll acquire the Klaw from Nike, and market it better than Nike does, so Kawhi would get higher royalty income.

Which is a crock. There is no chance the Clippers could do a better marketing job than Nike does.

So really, the whole idea is screwy.

But I do have to say, I really would like to see Kawhi suing the Clippers for big money, for not marketing his gear properly, while Kawhi is playing for the Raps. It would be a hoot.

Comment

• TacoBreath wrote: View Post

That could create a fascinating situation.

The Clippers aren't just the basketball team. The parent company, Los Angeles Clippers, Inc., owns the team, as one division, but it also has a marketing and retailing division, and there's some other stuff, including I believe a Clippers Foundation. The marketing and retailing division is what sells official Clippers gear. If Los Angeles Clippers, Inc. bought the Klaw, it would be assigned to the marketing division. They would be under the same obligation to market Klaw gear as Nike is, with payment of royalties to Kawhi.

Say the Clippers bought the rights to the Klaw before signing Kawhi. Then, say that Kawhi re-signs with the Raps. The Clippers would still be legally obligated to market Klaw gear vigorously and in good faith while he's playing for a different team.

It would be hilarious! If the Clippers didn't follow through and market Klaw gear energetically, and in good faith, Kawhi could sue the crap out of them, while he's playing for the Raps!

But I suppose the Clippers idea is that they would tell Kawhi, in negotiations while trying to sign him, that they'll acquire the Klaw from Nike, and market it better than Nike does, so Kawhi would get higher royalty income.

Which is a crock. There is no chance the Clippers could do a better marketing job than Nike does.

So really, the whole idea is screwy.

But I do have to say, I really would like to see Kawhi suing the Clippers for big money, for not marketing his gear properly, while Kawhi is playing for the Raps. It would be a hoot.
                  Or offer something like paying his "wife" a massive salary like 1M/yr for help marketing his brand....there's a million ways to skin a cat in corporate America.

Or Tanenbaum can offer his family personal serivces contracts for 1M or .... all legal I'm sure

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Or offer something like paying his "wife" a massive salary like 1M/yr for help marketing his brand....there's a million ways to skin a cat in corporate America.

Or Tanenbaum can offer his family personal serivces contracts for 1M or .... all legal I'm sure
                    Circumvention is not as easy as you think. Read below.... the last bullet is especially damning.

106. Can teams find loopholes in the CBA and do things the league never intended to allow? What is circumvention?

The CBA also has a general prohibition on circumvention which states that the rules exist to preserve the benefit derived by the teams and players, and that nobody shall do anything to defeat or circumvent the intent of the agreement. The league can use this prohibition to disallow a signing or trade that they feel circumvents the CBA, even though it is not specifically prohibited by the agreement.

Examples of conduct considered to be circumvention include:
                    • A team owner allowing a player to invest in a business or investment fund controlled by the owner or a friend of the owner.
                    • A team executive assisting a player in obtaining a product endorsement.
                    • Any "under the table" promises for a future contract (see question number 30).
                    • A team's arena renting retail space to a player on the team.
                    • A team selling a sponsorship to a business in which a player has an interest.
                    • A team hiring a player's relative or business partner as an employee.
                    • A team owner allowing a player the use of his private plane.
                    • A company affiliated with a team's owner making a home available to one of the team's players.
                    Whenever a contract is signed, extended, renegotiated or otherwise amended, the team, player, and player's agent must certify, under penalty of perjury, that there are no side agreements or understandings of any kind relating to:
                    • Any future contract, or future extension, renegotiation or amendment of the player's current contract.
                    • Any outside compensation, investment, business opportunity or anything else of value furnished to the player or any other person or entity controlled by, related to, or acting on behalf of the player.
                    The intent of these rules is to ensure that the only agreement from which either the player or the team can benefit is the current, signed player contract. The rules extend to sponsors, business partners and other team affiliates, and to player agents, representatives and family members.
                    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q106
                    Last edited by golden; Thu May 30, 2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      Who will he spend the majority of his time guarding tonight?
                      Draymond
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Circumvention is not as easy as you think. Read below.... the last bullet is especially damning.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q106
                        Two words: Offshore Account

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

I don't think he's a guy that you can build around to win a championship.

Bosh in his prime was 10x better player than Siakam and they couldn't win anything with him as "the guy".
                          Bosh came 5 years too early and got blood clots, he would've dominated this era. Bosh was in an era where he had to guard post players when he was young.

Comment

• "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                              New Balance is killing it right now for Kawhi. Love it.

Comment

• If NB is using that slogan.. he has to stay right? Imagine in July he leaves.. he can't use the "King of the North" moniker anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X