No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been beating the 2+1 drum for Kawhi basically since he was traded - it makes a pile of sense for both sides.

3 years of guaranteed money means he has locked down 100M if his injury ends up being a long term concern. That's a nice feel good number.

Meanwhile if he has no injury woes going forward, the opt out after two years means he is eligible for the 35% max.

The two years also means the Raptors have a short schedule to impress him to get him to stay long term. They've passed with flying colours as far as I can tell on the one year, but he'd probably like to see what Masai can do longer term as this core is quickly running out of runway.

Speaking of which, the Raptors would also love the 2 years guaranteed, because they get another run with this core, then a chance to try to lure a third star to match Kawhi and Pascal while retaining some of their key supporting talent. Then depending on how that goes they get the big re-sign long term pitch in 2021.

It is often thought that the Raptors need to sign Kawhi long term for their home town Bird Rights to factor into his decision - couldn't any team offer him 2+1, after all, then sign him to the 35% max deal after?

Well, yes and no. Any team can offer him the 2+1 (slightly smaller salary in years 2+3 because of smaller raises). But after he opts out of his PO, the Raptors (if he signed the 2+1 here) would still have his full Bird Rights. So could offer him the 5 years and max raises allowed starting at 35% of the cap.
    ​​​​​​
    Any other team signing him to a 2+1 this summer would be able to offer him the 35% max after he opts out, but he would only be an Early Bird free agent for them, meaning they could offer the max raises but only a 4 year deal. And the odds of him recouping that extra year at 40+ M are low at the age of 34/35. Especially for a player who may be cautious on the injury front.

Now if he's especially worried about the injury maybe he signs a longer term deal. Or if he's particularly mistrustful of his time here and wants another trial year he could sign a 1+1, then another one the year after (this would further decrease the 35% max offer he could get anywhere else if he chooses to leave at some point). But to me the 2+1 option makes too much sense not to consider it by far the most likely path to a re-sign.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
      watching a show with that big yap stephen A on it there seemed to be a consensus Kawhi was not moving well. I thought he was drawing a lot of attention from good defenders. Your thoughts?
      It’s almost like they didn’t watch the Bucks series. Stephen A was asking how does he get more inured with 5 days off (from ECF to finals). If anything he seems the same at worst. He grimaces the odd time but he runs well enough and digs in for offensive rebounds. Had plenty of lift on his late game three. I think there’s just more eyes watching the game and seeing him close up.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Just imagine how well they could do in New Brunswick.
        LOL.

To be fair I think anyone outside of the Bay Area loves that ad... it is great advertising.

Comment

• The tweet about sources saying Kwahi could stay on a shorter deal was by Henry Abbott of True Hoop and he tags David Thorpe in the tweet.

Who is that? Here’s an article by them in 2010 before Masai started in Denver. Masai stayed with Thorpe at times while in Florida getting introduced to Orlando Magic staff where he became a scout.

They know him well.

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/po...d-thorpes-eyes

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
            The tweet about sources saying Kwahi could stay on a shorter deal was by Henry Abbott of True Hoop and he tags David Thorpe in the tweet.

Who is that? Here’s an article by them in 2010 before Masai started in Denver. Masai stayed with Thorpe at times while in Florida getting introduced to Orlando Magic staff where he became a scout.

They know him well.

This is pretty big. These guys wouldn't spread false info.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
              The tweet about sources saying Kwahi could stay on a shorter deal was by Henry Abbott of True Hoop and he tags David Thorpe in the tweet.

They know him well.

In terms of Kawhi beyond this year I'd be perfectly fine if he played it year by year or every couple years plus a player option. Key thing is he's here next season for the title defense!

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

In terms of Kawhi beyond this year I'd be perfectly fine if he played it year by year or every couple years plus a player option. Key thing is he's here next season for the title defense!
                And then the three-peat

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  I've been beating the 2+1 drum for Kawhi basically since he was traded - it makes a pile of sense for both sides.

3 years of guaranteed money means he has locked down 100M if his injury ends up being a long term concern. That's a nice feel good number.

Meanwhile if he has no injury woes going forward, the opt out after two years means he is eligible for the 35% max.

The two years also means the Raptors have a short schedule to impress him to get him to stay long term. They've passed with flying colours as far as I can tell on the one year, but he'd probably like to see what Masai can do longer term as this core is quickly running out of runway.

Speaking of which, the Raptors would also love the 2 years guaranteed, because they get another run with this core, then a chance to try to lure a third star to match Kawhi and Pascal while retaining some of their key supporting talent. Then depending on how that goes they get the big re-sign long term pitch in 2021.

It is often thought that the Raptors need to sign Kawhi long term for their home town Bird Rights to factor into his decision - couldn't any team offer him 2+1, after all, then sign him to the 35% max deal after?

Well, yes and no. Any team can offer him the 2+1 (slightly smaller salary in years 2+3 because of smaller raises). But after he opts out of his PO, the Raptors (if he signed the 2+1 here) would still have his full Bird Rights. So could offer him the 5 years and max raises allowed starting at 35% of the cap.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Any other team signing him to a 2+1 this summer would be able to offer him the 35% max after he opts out, but he would only be an Early Bird free agent for them, meaning they could offer the max raises but only a 4 year deal. And the odds of him recouping that extra year at 40+ M are low at the age of 34/35. Especially for a player who may be cautious on the injury front.

Now if he's especially worried about the injury maybe he signs a longer term deal. Or if he's particularly mistrustful of his time here and wants another trial year he could sign a 1+1, then another one the year after (this would further decrease the 35% max offer he could get anywhere else if he chooses to leave at some point). But to me the 2+1 option makes too much sense not to consider it by far the most likely path to a re-sign.
                  This analysis and scenario is sound, logical and meets the needs of Kawhi and the team. Thanks DanH, the Raptor future is looking good from this fans perspective.

Comment

• https://www.tsn.ca/nba/video/kawhi-c...oronto~1697331

Comment

• In all the interviews I have seen with Kawhi, he remains verbally non committed. Either he already knows he will leave or he is still undecided but there is no way that today he is closer to re-signing than he was at the beginning of the playoffs.

The dominos will eventually fall after the playoffs is concluded.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                        In all the interviews I have seen with Kawhi, he remains verbally non committed. Either he already knows he will leave or he is still undecided but there is no way that today he is closer to re-signing than he was at the beginning of the playoffs.

The dominos will eventually fall after the playoffs is concluded.
                        he knows that is likely their best shot to win it ....I think that's on his mind

Comment

• Hey Stay?
                          https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...of-free-agency

"We have heard he's purchased a property in Toronto," Michael Landsbergof Toronto 1050 said (h/t Andrew Holleran of The Spun). "We've heard this now from two different sources, indicating there's something there."

Comment

• I had this scoop first and I tol you guys. He bought the house next to me and he's coming up to the cottage 3 days after we win the chip. He's gonna sign back on with the Raptors from my fishing boat....he like frozen margueritas ..... lime .....

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                                Both Kawhi and his lawyers should know better than to initiate this during the playoffs. Understanding that his lawyers are handling all this, it won't stop reporters from asking him about it over and over. If the Clippers were succesful in aquiring it recently, he could have added them to the lawsuit

Comment

Working...
                                X