Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

We're comparing the cost of stuff here versus there, regardless of which currency you want to use as the baseline. If you want to talk about spending US dollars in the US, you compare that to spending US dollars here - where they go a lot further.
    What does that have to do with what I said?

We're talking about the cost of living in the GTA but spending in US dollars (for all athletes) vs living in the greater LA area but spending in US dollars. Someone mentioned travelling in the US and spending CDN dollars.; athletes don't do that.

Comment

• is it odd that Kawhi hasn't opted out yet? most other free agents who have PO have already made there decision on opting in or out. or just another weird kawhi thing where he is waiting till the last possible day?
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
        is it odd that Kawhi hasn't opted out yet? most other free agents who have PO have already made there decision on opting in or out. or just another weird kawhi thing where he is waiting till the last possible day?
        Sounds like prefers to just come out with one single announcement (opting out, then signing back in as a FA or just opting out and leaving) rather than doing it in stages and give the clickbait media something they can fabricate upon and spin.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

What does that have to do with what I said?

We're talking about the cost of living in the GTA but spending in US dollars (for all athletes) vs living in the greater LA area but spending in US dollars. Someone mentioned travelling in the US and spending CDN dollars.; athletes don't do that.
          So you spend fewer US dollars to buy something in Canada. So your money goes further and buys you a better lifestyle. Except for booze, gas and cigarettes...and I'm guessing Kawhi doesn't buy many cigarettes. But if he stayed he would get free dining out for as long as he was here. Free hairstyling. Free condo. Free legal advice. I bet he could get free tax advice.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
            is it odd that Kawhi hasn't opted out yet? most other free agents who have PO have already made there decision on opting in or out. or just another weird kawhi thing where he is waiting till the last possible day?
            It is just on the very edge of what is possible, given what we know/think we know, that Kawhi *does not* opt out. (I'm not enough of a capologist to be sure that he can opt in and then sign a five year max over the summer, but I would assume that that would have to be part of the plan if he opts in.)

Opting in would do two *very* interesting things:
            * It would drive large swaths of the basketball press bananas (I'm looking at you, ESPN and Fox Sports), and
            * If my math is correct, it would allow the Raptors to bring the entire main rotation back (Danny Green included) with a payroll plus luxury tax of less than the dreaded two hundred million threshhold.

Again: it's not an impossibility that Kawhi, but it's just on the very edge of what's possible. The conventional view is that either a max contract now (for security), or a 1+1 (for flexibility and an even higher max contract in two years) is what's best, and both options certainly have a lot going for them in their own ways. Opting in is so far out in left field that it's almost over the outfield fence.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

So you spend fewer US dollars to buy something in Canada. So your money goes further and buys you a better lifestyle. Except for booze, gas and cigarettes...and I'm guessing Kawhi doesn't buy many cigarettes. But if he stayed he would get free dining out for as long as he was here. Free hairstyling. Free condo. Free legal advice. I bet he could get free tax advice.
              Athletes at his level get all the tax adivce and weath planning thye could ever want. But it sure ain't free lol

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post

It is just on the very edge of what is possible, given what we know/think we know, that Kawhi *does not* opt out. (I'm not enough of a capologist to be sure that he can opt in and then sign a five year max over the summer, but I would assume that that would have to be part of the plan if he opts in.)

Opting in would do two *very* interesting things:
                * It would drive large swaths of the basketball press bananas (I'm looking at you, ESPN and Fox Sports), and
                * If my math is correct, it would allow the Raptors to bring the entire main rotation back (Danny Green included) with a payroll plus luxury tax of less than the dreaded two hundred million threshhold.

Again: it's not an impossibility that Kawhi, but it's just on the very edge of what's possible. The conventional view is that either a max contract now (for security), or a 1+1 (for flexibility and an even higher max contract in two years) is what's best, and both options certainly have a lot going for them in their own ways. Opting in is so far out in left field that it's almost over the outfield fence.

Comment

Athletes at his level get all the tax adivce and weath planning thye could ever want. But it sure ain't free lol
                  I think the NBAPA actually does assist with that stuff. At least with the younger players I believe.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

I think the NBAPA actually does assist with that stuff. At least with the younger players I believe.
                    It appears Kawhi's Uncle Dennis looks after this for him. From what I've read Mr. Uncle Dennis has 20 plus years in the banking industry. His role was termed 'Banking Executive'.

Comment

• Clips getting desperate
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• To be fair Tory and Nav are fucking embarrassing too
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Yeah the teams offer whatever is needed, including classes/training. It sounds like a lot of guys just appoint someone to handle their finances though, it's a full time job when it's millions of dollars and you have to focus on professional basketball (and you've got a family).

The really sad stories are where some guys are taken for a total ride by their financial guy. Those bankruptcy stories are depressing, one thing if it's self inflicted but very different if you had somebody you trust turn on you.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

At least one legal firm has offered Kawhi free legal advice under the "Kawhine and Dine" program. I was suggesting that a financial/tax advisory firm might do the same.

Comment

• kawhi is gonna be the first guy to announce his decision via t-shirt when new balance drops the "He Stay" model.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                                kawhi is gonna be the first guy to announce his decision via t-shirt when new balance drops the "He Stay" model.
                                That's actually not a bad marketing idea

Comment

Working...
                                X