Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post

The interesting counter point that players are starting to voice is that they shouldn't be penalized millions and millions of dollars for deciding to go somewhere else in free agency. I mean a team like say Milwaukee effectively lucks into a high lotto pick, drafts some guy, and now if that guy wants to play somewhere else 7-10 years down the line it's going to cost him personally $50-80 million dollars or something. From the player perspective that's kind of nuts, especially for guys who find themselves in mediocre organizations. I expect to see increasing pushback from the union on this, the league is going to have to figure out how to protect competitive balance and small market team without penalizing players.
    I can see why the players would want that, but I also see that as a bit of "wanting to have the cake and eat it too". Part of the success of the NBA as league is its penetration into smaller markets/cities, the viability of these teams, as well as league parity. The draft is designed to try to protect all that, so teams that struggled one year get the higher picks, allowing themselves to remain viable.

Free agency is important, but there's gotta be incentives in the system to protect homegrown/drafted talent, otherwise teams in smaller markets would be just farms for the bigger markets, with them spending all the time and effort scouting, drafting, developing and grooming young talent, just to see them all bolt in free agency to LA & NY in their primes.

I know it's not the same, but if I have a relatively high paying job in the Yukon, and that position doesn't pay as much further south, I shouldn't see as being "penalized" for wanting to move south. I have a free choice to stay north and make more money, or take a pay-cut to go live where I want (most choices will come with some pros and some cons). The very existence of the Yukon job and the support it brings to the community depends on this differential in incentives (meaning it paying more).

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

The interesting counter point that players are starting to voice is that they shouldn't be penalized millions and millions of dollars for deciding to go somewhere else in free agency. I mean a team like say Milwaukee effectively lucks into a high lotto pick, drafts some guy, and now if that guy wants to play somewhere else 7-10 years down the line it's going to cost him personally $50-80 million dollars or something. From the player perspective that's kind of nuts, especially for guys who find themselves in mediocre organizations. I expect to see increasing pushback from the union on this, the league is going to have to figure out how to protect competitive balance and small market team without penalizing players.
      A decent compromise is a reduced cap hit for max level guys who have played X amount of years with the same team (say 10). The supermax hasnt worked once, this seems like a balance of protecting small markets without hurting stars.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

In some ways, the CBA really doesn't do a good enough job giving the incumbent team a clear advantage. Not sure if I'm reading this correct, but if Kawhi is intent on retiring in L.A. AND also to getting a 5 year vet max, he's probably better off signing a 3-year deal with the Clippers asap to get the clock started, and then doing the 5-year veteran max right after the 3-year contract expires.
        Yes, if he wants to retire in LA (assuming retirement happens right after his payday contract) he is better off signing a three year term with them this summer. I imagine he could get his supermax here and then play for cheap for a couple near-retirement years in LA...

Ultimately the tradeoff is whether it is worth the risk to wait the extra year to lock in the big pay day.

Then again, as a star, he can always force his way there with a trade demand anyway.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Which is kind of impossible in this contaxt imo.

Call me crazy but I kind of want to see small markets even better protected, making it harder to create super teams in the largest markets. I think athletes should make all they can but won't shed a tear if it means playing in X market for $25M a year instead of another more preferable one (to them) for $35M a year .....

Why should a small market team almost never get even a sniff of the chip unleess they "effectively luck into a high lotto pick? It's those small makrket teams that contribute to the insane TV/cable leage sponsorship deals that allow for the $30M deals in the first place.

MLB is the best (worst?) example where the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Dodgers spend $200+M and 10 teams spend 100 or less to try and remain solvent? I'd like to see more teams succeed by how well they draft/develop and trade rahter than by how limitless their cheque book is .....
          It's an easy solution. Hard cap, no individual max salary. Competitive balance achieved. The players will never agree to it, though.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Ok ... I think I almost get that. Mostly. ha...

So, my confusion lies in ... if he's eligible for 35% of the cap, is that just for the first year and then the raises can take him above 35% in subsequent years?

If it's 35% no matter what, how can it be raised by different percentages according to those different scenarios.

(Thanks Dan for continually striving to make this stuff clear to us. )
            Maximum salaries (and salaries defined for exceptions like the MLE, etc) always only apply to the first season of a contract. The salaries in the rest of the contract are determined by the year to year raises (or decreases) a player negotiates into their contract (limited to +/- 5% for FA contracts, +/- 8% for Bird Rights contracts).
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Opting out was going to happen.. But Haynes was the guy that said he'd never play for Toronto.. now he's saying that Kawhi's is strongly consider resigning.

He's definitely staying

Comment

• Remeber when this dude said kawhi wasnt even going to report to toronto? Him saying "seriously consider re-signing" basically mean he's moving into his new toronto home as we speak
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• jinx

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    jinx
                    lol great minds think alike
                    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Opting out was going to happen.. But Haynes was the guy that said he'd never play for Toronto.. now he's saying that Kawhi's is strongly consider resigning.

He's definitely staying
                      Chris Haynes, Cris Carter, Ryan Russillo, Shannon Sharpe, the mighty Woj and a cast of thousands of so-called media know-it-alls are are going to take a huge L, when Kawhi signs for....

Comment

• While I have a positive feeling about Kawhi resigning what do these reporters based their posts on ie; "seriously considering resigning with Raptors " . They dont seem to know anymore then us ie; signing a 1 + 1 makes more sense, can make more money as a Raptors.
                        I just get tired reading these so called experts knowing something.

Comment

• Really interested to see how Kawhi's decision affects the Raptors' plans - obviously if he leaves anything can happen, but if he stays, his desired term could have a big impact too. A 1+1 means probably seeing what they can do for the final year of the vets' contracts. And having trouble re-signing Danny, as they'd presumably want to offer him 1 year. While a 2+1 could mean trying to move that salary drop off date a year later, locking up Siakam early to try to get a bit of a discount, and possibly offering one year extensions to Gasol and Lowry and even Serge (all at somewhat lower prices) and offering Danny two years to keep the band together.

So hard to predict without knowing what the discussions with Kawhi will be like.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• After much deliberation on the topic, reading all the latest reports and consulting with my well-connected sources, I have come to the following conclusion: He Maybe Stay
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                              After much deliberation on the topic, reading all the latest reports and consulting with my well-connected sources, I have come to the following conclusion: He Maybe Stay
                              I disagree - my sources say: He Possibly Stay

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

I disagree - my sources say: He Possibly Stay

Comment

Working...
                                X