No announcement yet.

Everything Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I only recently saw the interview he did where he said that this past season was the most fun he had ever had playing basketball.

Most money: Check
    Trust and respect: Check
    Good health: Check
    Great teammates and good management: Check
    Good time for a Fun Guy: Super Check

I am sooooo relaxed now.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      I only recently saw the interview he did where he said that this past season was the most fun he had ever had playing basketball.

I am sooooo relaxed now.
      Kawhi on his first season in Toronto: "It was amazing, probably the most fun i've ever had in a basketball season... able to grow as a player, be a part of a new team, new teammates, and obviously a new country. They just embraced me and i thank them all for allowing me to be the player i can be."

https://streamable.com/47juz

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Kawhi on his first season in Toronto: "It was amazing, probably the most fun i've ever had in a basketball season... able to grow as a player, be a part of a new team, new teammates, and obviously a new country. They just embraced me and i thank them all for allowing me to be the player i can be."

https://streamable.com/47juz

That's the interview. Thanks for linking to it Golden.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

You and me fly out to TO, we grab Joey and Goldblum and golden and we trap Kawhi and make him miss all his meetings. Once everyone else has used up their cap space we let him go.

Five more chips. Six for the Six.
          I feel snubbed

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I feel snubbed
            You pick up the pizza from Serge's house

Comment

You pick up the pizza from Serge's house
              You want the peppered penis pizza again?

Comment

• One underrated factor, I think, in where Kawhi signs, is that he wants to be respected. (In fact, this is what I thought of when I heard his HA HA HA HA at the end of his parade day speech: Kawhi knew he was being disrespected when the one thing which everyone took away from his initial presser was that four-second clip of him laughing, and this was him getting the last laugh on the people who disrespected him.)

If that's the case - that it's important that to Kawhi that there be mutual respect - then I think the approach the Clippers have taken has been a potentially critical miscalculation, in that it's been "look how much we love you" and the one thing it *hasn't* been has been "look how much we respect you". Having an executive from the team show up at most of your games? That's not respect; respect is letting Kawhi play the games and making your pitch based on the team and the atmosphere. Attempting to buy your logo out from Nike? That's not respect either - that's an attempt to gain leverage.

For that matter, let's go back to the recruitment of Blake Griffin and that T-shirt with his face among the faces of people like MLK and Gandhi; that was some really creative flattery, but that was not respect either. And for all that flattery, Blake was traded, what, a year later? In the end, what the Clippers wanted out of Blake is what they got: an asset for the team, rather than an intrinsic part of it.

And it feels to me like this was the problem beneath the problem in San Antonio: in the end, in their minds, Kawhi was the team's asset, and when the team failed to respect him and his proactive management of his health, because they wanted to maximize their asset, that's when everything went south for them. And conversely, this is why I'm confident in Toronto's ability to resign Kawhi, and completely comfortable with what they've done with and for Kawhi if for whatever reason they do not: the Raptors organization has both respected Kawhi and earned his respect, and I'm proud of them for that.

Comment

You and me fly out to TO, we grab Joey and Goldblum and golden and we trap Kawhi and make him miss all his meetings. Once everyone else has used up their cap space we let him go.

Reporting for duty....

Comment

• Its easy to see now in hindsight where the Spurs went wrong. They took Kawhi for granted. They had just got off a 25 year run of having either David Robinson or Tim Duncan. This quiet kid from the midsize school drafted in the mid first round? He's certainly not a 7 foot hall of famer!

Kawhi came in to an institution. It's like Notre Dame. No man is bigger than the team in San Antonio, but Pop himself may even have some regrets in hindsight about the disregard he treated him with. Then this "3rd generation" star ho hum big deal, he comes to Toronto...and we feel like we've literally got Michael Freaking Jordan. He is a superstar. Best player in the world? Arguably, maybe, likely. And we treat with him adoration. Respect. But we also treat him like a teammate, a player, a citizen of Canada.

It's easy to see the difference and why he enjoys it. He didn't want to be the next Tim Duncan, the next "Admiral". He wanted to be the first Klaw, first Fun Guy, first Board Man Gettin Paid. And he found it.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Its easy to see now in hindsight where the Spurs went wrong. They took Kawhi for granted. They had just got off a 25 year run of having either David Robinson or Tim Duncan. This quiet kid from the midsize school drafted in the mid first round? He's certainly not a 7 foot hall of famer!

Kawhi came in to an institution. It's like Notre Dame. No man is bigger than the team in San Antonio, but Pop himself may even have some regrets in hindsight about the disregard he treated him with. Then this "3rd generation" star ho hum big deal, he comes to Toronto...and we feel like we've literally got Michael Freaking Jordan. He is a superstar. Best player in the world? Arguably, maybe, likely. And we treat with him adoration. Respect. But we also treat him like a teammate, a player, a citizen of Canada.

It's easy to see the difference and why he enjoys it. He didn't want to be the next Tim Duncan, the next "Admiral". He wanted to be the first Klaw, first Fun Guy, first Board Man Gettin Paid. And he found it.
                      Yo Masai, get this guy right here in your pitch team yo.

Comment

Its easy to see now in hindsight where the Spurs went wrong. They took Kawhi for granted. They had just got off a 25 year run of having either David Robinson or Tim Duncan. This quiet kid from the midsize school drafted in the mid first round? He's certainly not a 7 foot hall of famer!

Uncle Dennis, is that you?

Comment

Have always been a big Pops fan ...on multiple levels. But he did not adapt here at all. He did have a consensus approach on many matters within the team (not on the floor) and he went with the team in this case. The two antagonists, team leaders and vets Parker and Ginobili felt Kawhi was dogging it and probably the medical staff as well. Pops did not back Kawhi ... and that was it. Suppose it broke Kawhi. It must not have been a good day in SA the night the Raps won and KL took the MVP trophy. Shows that old dogs need to adjust and can make boo-boos too..

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            I only recently saw the interview he did where he said that this past season was the most fun he had ever had playing basketball.

I am sooooo relaxed now.
                            Sponsor opportunity: Sport Chek

Comment

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I think the plan is to fly Kawhi up to BC for a fishing trip at the start of free agency, declare a national emergency and then shut down the borders until he signs.

Comment

Working...
                                X