Everything Danny Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    This looked like Danny Green playing on a fully recovered groin tear. Not like a broken down old man playing on the declining side of his career. Great game. He is a willing passer. I think his one assist was more a function of the guys he was passing to missing easy looks than a lack of passing.

A real bonus having him here with Kawhi. They already know what to expect from each other and have the high level of trust and knowledge of each others games that you expect to see from long time teammates.
    Lots of Kawhi's assists were to Danny. They have such a good synergy together on the floor. I haven't liked Green in any lineups that didn't have Kawhi on the floor with him. Green looks useless without Kawhi, guys don't know where he wants his shots yet.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
      ...I haven't liked Green in any lineups that didn't have Kawhi on the floor with him. Green looks useless without Kawhi, guys don't know where he wants his shots yet.
      That's why they have practices. I am happy to leave this issue with Nurse and his brain trust.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        That's why they have practices. I am happy to leave this issue with Nurse and his brain trust.
        I actually haven't really liked any lineups out there other than JV + bench and Wright/Green/Kawhi/OG/Siakam. So much tweaking, and all the experimenting will probably go deep into the season.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          I actually haven't really liked any lineups out there other than JV + bench and Wright/Green/Kawhi/OG/Siakam. So much tweaking, and all the experimenting will probably go deep into the season.
          I somewhat agree, mostly because I haven't particularly liked any Ibaka lineups and JV hasn't really gotten to start with the normal expected starters with OG missing some time. They just have awful rhythm. Like everything seems herky jerky and random.

I would like to see an Ibaka-Siakam-Kawhi-FVV-Wright bench unit. Feel like with that many playmakers, Ibaka's low skill and bball IQ won't stagnate things as much. That's one of the issues with starting Ibaka at C...that makes him, Green and OG all guys who aren't great with the ball in their hands and don't really make life that much easier for Lowry and Leonard. Sure they can all shoot, but it's hard to create space and good looks. Replace him with JV and suddenly we have better screening, passing, spacing and a legit rebounder that can force the other team to slow down because they have to make sure they secure the rebound on any of our misses.

I also think it's funny that people now think JV is a good passer. I've been saying for years his fundamental passing skills are fine, we just ran shit offence that didn't create good passing opportunities. Imagine if we had been developing this aspect of his game from like his 2nd year instead of waiting until last season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            I somewhat agree, mostly because I haven't particularly liked any Ibaka lineups and JV hasn't really gotten to start with the normal expected starters with OG missing some time. They just have awful rhythm. Like everything seems herky jerky and random.

I would like to see an Ibaka-Siakam-Kawhi-FVV-Wright bench unit. Feel like with that many playmakers, Ibaka's low skill and bball IQ won't stagnate things as much. That's one of the issue with starting Ibaka at C...that makes him, Green and OG all guys who aren't great with the ball in their hands and don't really make life that much easier for Lowry and Leonard. Sure they can all shoot, but it's hard To create space and good looks. Replace him with JV and suddenly we have better screening, passing, spacing and a legit rebounder that can force the other team to slow down because they have to make sure they secure the rebound on any of our misses.

I also think it's funny that people now think JV is a good passer. I've been saying for years his fundamental passing skills are fine, we just ran shit offence that didn't create good passing opportunities. Imagine if we had been developing this aspect of his game from like his 2nd year instead of waiting until last season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
            Great points. I think the reason why I don't like a single lineup outside of the two aforementioned is because of the lack of consistency these guys are given to be able to run together and get a rhythm. That's honestly my only issue with Nurse's lineup utilization -- you've got to see extended time, which is why I think sticking with the so-called "bench mob" is a smart strategy to start, and do addition by subtraction. Nurse will start to find what doesn't work with what used to work, and they'll be able to experiment naturally, rather than trying to force lineups that will never play more than five minutes together.

As much as I went on a tangent on that point, it's not a big deal. I think Lowry-Green-Kawhi-OG-JV is the best starting lineup, with FVV-Wright-Kawhi-Siakam-Ibaka (your lineup that you proposed) playing most of the second unit minutes, with Powell/Miles switching time at the 3 depending on the opposing matchup.

To your JV point, I think his passing has always been okay, but it took him some time before he could react quickly enough with double teams and crashing the paint. I still get nervous with him in the post on the strongside of the ball, where defenders are across from him where they can swipe their hands in. He's still learning his personal space on the floor.

Comment

• As for Danny Green, the most encouraging thing last night was his D and energy. Definitely don't expect him to score 20+ pts very often. I am fine with nights where he'll score 5-6 points if he can play D like he did last night the majority of the time. Flat out took the ball right out of guys' hands with a few of his steals (at least 3 that I could remember where he wasn't picking off passes, just fucking taking the ball away from the ballhandler...so good to watch).

That 3rd quarter was beautiful to watch defensively. Guys had such trouble getting by Green, Kawhi, Siakam and then OG. And if they did they were sent right into JV who was doing a great job going vertical and just making himself a massive wall (and making sure guys felt it every time they tried to drive).

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                As for Danny Green, the most encouraging thing last night was his D and energy. Definitely don't expect him to score 20+ pts very often. I am fine with nights where he'll score 5-6 points if he can play D like he did last night the majority of the time. Flat out took the ball right out of guys' hands with a few of his steals (at least 3 that I could remember where he wasn't picking off passes, just fucking taking the ball away from the ballhandler...so good to watch).

That 3rd quarter was beautiful to watch defensively. Guys had such trouble getting by Green, Kawhi, Siakam and then OG. And if they did they were sent right into JV who was doing a great job going vertical and just making himself a massive wall (and making sure guys felt it every time they tried to drive).
                The play where he stripped D'angelo Russell that turned into a Lowry -> Siakam dunk was pretty awesome.

Comment

• Cool story about Danny Green. Apparently, he's been coming up to the Huntsville, Ontario area every summer for the last 10 years to help out a basketball camp. Who knew? Seems totally random and under-the-radar. Of course, it's not the same as handing out turkey dinners on thanksgiving, but a nice gesture nonetheless.

BTW - if you want to get around the Star's paywall, you can open the link using the "incognito window" of your browser.

Danny Green is one happy camper as a Raptor
                  https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...-a-raptor.html

Comment

• If we had Danny Green instead of Demar Derozan vs. the Cavs, we probably wouldve won at least one game last year.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                      If we had Danny Green instead of Demar Derozan vs. the Cavs, we probably wouldve won at least one game last year.
                      I swear I've read this exact post like 8 times now
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

If we had Danny Green instead of Demar Derozan vs. the Cavs, we probably wouldve won at least one game last year.
                        Game 3

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          I swear I've read this exact post like 8 times now
                          The truth can never be said enough times.

Comment

Green has actually been bad in his last two postseasons. Still, he wouldn't take the ball out of Lowry's hands and play piss poor defense like DeRozan did.

Comment

• I hope the last couple of preseason games and the season opener have quieted down the initial concerns about Green. I would say he comes at least as good as advertised and maybe better. I'm imagining him playing 40+ games in after fully integrating himself into the team..... All Good.

Comment

• I thought Green played some of the best defense on Korver that we've seen by a Raptor in recent years. I believe Korver's lone field goal was literally the next play after Green went to the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X