NBA Odd Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Odd Rules

What do you guys think are odd/weird/stupid/unreal NBA rules?

Im really not much of a fan of the "rescinding" rule, like the case with Perkins and his technical fouls. Its so obvious that if Perkins doesnt play, the Celtics have no chance of winning against Orlando, thats why theyre taking the techs back, but i think what has been done should stay done. Even if the refs made an emotional call instead of an objective one, the call should stand. It wasnt like the refs were picking on Perkins that the calls were so out of the blue, the calls did have some basis to it. the bringing down of flagrant fouls also should be stopped. if a flagrant two was called, make it stick, dont downgrade it to a flagrant 1 even after review.

the other rule that i dont like is the no celebration rule. i think it made the game a bit boring. players should be allowed to jaw it out with other players, or pump their fists, hang on to the rim or act like kingkong if they made a wicked shot. bring back the shawn kemp finger pointing, the muscle flexing, the finger across the neck and the finger wagging!
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri May 28, 2010, 03:18 PM.

tbihis wrote: View Post
    What do you guys think are odd/weird/stupid/unreal NBA rules?

Im really not much of a fan of the "rescinding" rule, like the case with Perkins and his technical fouls. Its so obvious that if Perkins doesnt play, the Celtics have no chance of winning against Orlando, thats why theyre taking the techs back, but i think what has been done should stay done. Even if the refs made an emotional call instead of an objective one, the call should stand. It wasnt like the refs were picking on Perkins that the calls were so out of the blue, the calls did have some basis to it. the bringing down of flagrant fouls also should be stopped. if a flagrant two was called, make it stick, dont downgrade it to a flagrant 1 even after review.

the other rule that i dont like is the no celebration rule. i think it made the game a bit boring. players should be allowed to jaw it out with other players, or pump their fists, hang on to the rim or act like kingkong if they made a wicked shot. bring back the shawn kemp finger pointing, the muscle flexing, the finger across the neck and the finger wagging!
    I am generally in agreement with the first part of your post. In Perkins recent case however (and it pains me to have to disagree in favour of the Celtics) is that 2 techs occurred on verbal attitude on/after the same play. Perkins actually walked away from the ref but went ballistic after he was assessed the first one and then got the second. This is a playoff game and its pretty intense out there so the ref has to put the whistle away for the 2nd T...imo. WHat makes it worse is that the 2nd t put Perkins over the top for his T allotment in the playoffs...so has to sit a game. That is bad as you indicated and reminds me of that terrible injustice re the Suns a few yrs.ago when Horry hip checks Nash off the floor and Amare and someone else (I forget) had to sit because they had a foot on the floor to go help Nash. That was bs as well and did not get rescinded...and the rest is history...Nash could have had that ring.

On the second part...the celebration rule is a double edged sword I feel. When is too much "celebration" or trash talking dangerous for the players, refs and fans. It depends if the celebrator/trasher is a hometown player or visitor. You know that certain mental types/too much beer etc amongst the customers could become a safety issue depending on how far the antics go. I think the way it is is fine. Remember Detroit?

ps...I know I was pissed when Pierce kneed Bosh during a drive to the rim and Bosh went into a fetal position on the floor with Pierce taunting him (probably asking him about his nuts). I dont what was worse, Pierce pulling off that "celebration" or that no one on the Raptors got into his grill. But if it were say, Noah on the Bulls or the other way around with the Celtics it could have gotten nasty on the floor.

Comment

I agree with the refs being able to rescind and upgrade calls after the game. The refs know they do'nt get every call right. So if having a second opinion later leads to players not being unfairly punished. What's wrong with that?

Even if Perkins wouldn't have been suspended I think they may have done that. It happened a few timea earlier this season when it didn't really have any consequences on the player.

I know it's nitpicking, but it's not a "no celebration" rule. It's a no taunting rule. Players still flex, players still fist pump, Sam Cassel could do his big balls dance (which kobe has done once or twice), and everyone has their own 3 ptr routine now it seems. Did you see DWade step over Varejao after he dunked over him? No call on that though it was obvious to everyone he was showing him up.

And believe me, players still jaw. It's just discreet. All about the NBA's image not being a league full of thugs.

I do miss Dikembe's finger wag, the NBA even allowed it. Partly because he had been doing it so long before they put in the rule, but they used the rationale that he was doing it towards the fans, not the player.

And I loved Kemp's one foot windmall facial, double point. One of my favourite dunks ever. Even if he would have been T'd up I'd still remember it.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I hate that player's can't celebrate or taunt even a little after big plays. What it really comes down to is Stern is kind of a racist. He forced player's out of high school to go to college for one year and it might be two after the next CBA, he enforced a dress code on the sidelines and he has now taking all of the personality and bravado out of the game. All of these changes are directed at black athletes and the way he has ref's control a game through rapid fire tech's and flagrants is ridiculous.

He has them be over cautious during the game and then rescinds those infractions he feels were justified then, but unnecessary after review. Ref's are bad enough in the NBA, forcing them be super aggressive and follow a guideline rather than using thier own judgment doesn't help the NBA, it helps Stern maintain his stranglehold on every aspect of the league.

Comment

Working...
        X