Izzo Taking the Cavs Head Coaching Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izzo Taking the Cavs Head Coaching Job

It would appear as though Tom Izzo will be coaching in the NBA next season.

Sources close to WFNY have informed us that Tom Izzo has told his players at Michigan State that he plans on taking the Cavaliers job. Our sources have heard directly from players on the MSU team that Izzo informed them this week that he is planning on making the move up to the NBA level under the ownership of MSU grad Dan Gilbert. We have also heard from a separate source that Izzo is holding off on announcing this until the end of the week, when his kids finish up school in the Lansing area. While Izzo could always change his mind, we are comfortable reporting that he has in fact informed his players at Michigan State that he will be taking the Cavaliers job.
    Source - Click here

So i guess this means Lebron is gone coz i dont think he'll want to play for a rookie coach.

Comment

I think it means the opposite. Why would Izzo leave MSU for a LeBron-less Cavs? If anything, this means that LeBron will resign with Cleveland.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
        So i guess this means Lebron is gone coz i dont think he'll want to play for a rookie coach.
        Considering Izzo is one of the greatest coaches in NCAA history and in basketball in general, technically he would be considered a rookie coach, but the experience and knowledge he'd bring is hardly inexperienced as a head coach. It might not work out for him, but this is a guy that various NBA teams have been chasing for well over a decade now.

Comment

Lebron needs a title yesterday, his teammates can't do it and now the organization is in rebuilding mode. He might have stayed before, but it has become a self fulfilling prophecy with the Cav's so scared he's going to leave that they pushed him away.

Forming a super team in Chi town has got to look pretty appealing right about now.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
            Lebron needs a title yesterday, his teammates can't do it and now the organization is in rebuilding mode. He might have stayed before, but it has become a self fulfilling prophecy with the Cav's so scared he's going to leave that they pushed him away.

Forming a super team in Chi town has got to look pretty appealing right about now.
            Rebuild mode??!! Bwahhaha!!! With Lebron, he can make a rebuilding team still contend for a semi-final round. Lebron still has Mo, Bat-Boy, Parker, Verajo, JJ Hickson, Moon(*pffft)(could get traded for a pick), Boobie, Jamison, some use of Jawad Williams, and Shaq's Money. When Shaq is gone and they draft for the 1st and 2nd round, they will be making the playoffs no doubt, maybe Izzo can communicate and manage the bench and chemistry so much better than Mike Brown, and chemistry will be so much better without Shaq's unfocused influence. They will draft a solid hard-working C and do what it takes to get a good pass-first PG. If Lebron really quits on Cleveland, he is a joke and if Lebron pulls any power shenanigans with Izzo this season, Lebron will never win any Championship at all period!

Comment

Sad day for MSU basketball. I always thought Izzo would stay there until the end of his career. I guess 6m/year is too much to turn down. Then again maybe this is just tactic to get a better counter-offer from State

Comment

I meant more the management, new gm, new coach, new assistant coaches. That is a lot of adjusting on the fly because you also have to contend for a title. Bron has to go somewhere else because the Cav's are nuking themselves before Lebron can.

They need a new PF because Jamison got killed by KG who is getting killed by Gasol. How many more kicks at the can is Mo Wililams going to get before someone realizes he's all talk. They could potentially have four new starters next to Bron next year, sounds like rebuilding while contending, which is always dangerous.

Getting a college coach whose name doesn't start with a K isn't going to end well. Bron is treating Cleveland like Bosh is treating Toronto. You do your thing, i'll do mine maybe we can meet in the middle.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                  Considering Izzo is one of the greatest coaches in NCAA history and in basketball in general, technically he would be considered a rookie coach, but the experience and knowledge he'd bring is hardly inexperienced as a head coach. It might not work out for him, but this is a guy that various NBA teams have been chasing for well over a decade now.
                  Coaching college kids is totally different from coaching professionals. I bet you less than half of the kids playing are actually playing for scholarships and a probable trip to the NBA, most of these guys are playing for school popularity and maybe a way to get girls. In the NBA, players are playing to keep their jobs and to get a bigger payday after their current contracts. Different motivation, different personalities. In the NCAA, coaches are feared, in the NBA, coaches fear franchise players (even if they dont admit it). Your strategy as a coach may lead you to championships at the college level, but as they say, the NBA is a totally different ballgame.

Comment

A different source told ESPN that "Izzo did not tell the Spartans he was leaving the school to coach the Cavs."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5268981
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                    X