NBA talks Contraction: Which cities will be without a Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA talks Contraction: Which cities will be without a Team

According to the commissioner of the NBA the league is still loosing money. Recent talks with Stern reveal that he may be considering Contraction as an option in order to keep the league afloat. For those who don't know Contraction is the removal of teams from cities and the reduction of the number of NBA player jobs (ie the opposite of Expansion). If the league does follow this plan (which is never a good idea) which teams and cities would be on the chopping block. Apart from the Lakers C***ics and Heat who are assured safety for life who might the league kill to stay afloat?

Forbes Cost Effective teams 2010 :
    http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/...2009-10-season
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Toronto ..lol jks..

Seriously probably Minnesota, Atlanta (even tho they are a playoff team), Sacramento, Cleveland

If we have contraction....does that mean that strong teams becoming even stronger?
    Last edited by KakashiPrince; Sun Oct 24, 2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I think Toronto is very safe and here's why:

1. The NBA is very conscious about expanding globally and the Raptors are the NBA's only foreign (To the U.S.A) team.
      2. The Raptors have a huge market, the country of Canada.
      3. Strong ownership. Say what you want about MLSE but the company is healthy and profitable. I don't know the financial figures but I know the Raptors typically finish in the top half of the league in gate numbers so they too are probably turning a profit.

If I were a betting man I would place my money on teams in markets being decimated by the recession/depression(depending on who you ask). If we're doing that then high on the list, unfortunately because they have so much history, are the Detroit Pistons. I think it's more like that they're sold and/or moved but time will tell.

Comment

probably minnisota, milwuakee,charlotte and other small town teams
        ya dun noe

Comment

Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
          According to the commissioner of the NBA the league is still loosing money. Recent talks with Stern reveal that he may be considering Contraction as an option in order to keep the league afloat. For those who don't know Contraction is the removal of teams from cities and the reduction of the number of NBA player jobs (ie the opposite of Expansion). If the league does follow this plan (which is never a good idea) which teams and cities would be on the chopping block. Apart from the Lakers C***ics and Heat who are assured safety for life who might the league kill to stay afloat?

Forbes Cost Effective teams 2010 :
          http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/...2009-10-season
          Memphis, Atlanta(low turnout with the team making the playoffs every year), Minnesota and the Clippers(bad owner, lottery team almost every year) are possible teams that might lose a franchise.

Comment

No doubt Toronto is very safe and it's a slim chance any contractions are gonna happen to any team soon. I think the league is throwing these words around to start scaring players.

BUT if this was gonna actually happen my top 4 would be: Sacramento, Memphis, New Orleans, and Atlanta.

And Seattle needs a team.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Memphis would probably top that list, but yeah, I'd pick those teams too if this were to actually happen.

Comment

They also
                Mentioned Charlotte

Comment

there willl be a lockout, no contraction just a lockout.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I think contraction would be a good idea, good players will be forced to joined mediocre teams such as the raps knowing these teams are able to pay them sparingly. i dont think it will encourage superstars to join forces, mainly because teams will not have enough money to sign them all together.

im not worried about the players who will lose their NBA jobs, pro basketball has been a global thing, they will easily find jobs in europe and asia.

im guessing Sacramento, new Orleans, Minnesota, golden state and cleveland are in jeopardy if this does happen.

but what the league should do first is cut players salaries. these guys are paid waaaaaay too much. id rather have that money go to garbage collectors, nurses, school teachers.....people who make a difference in peoples lives and who do the hard work. im not saying athletes dont make a difference, but 10mil a year is a little bit over the top.

Comment

charlotte minnisota and seattle

Comment

weemsfan wrote: View Post
                        charlotte minnisota and seattle
                        seattle has been gone for a while buddy

and probably Minnesota, Memphis,
                        and i agree with the post from LBF, there will not be a contraction. and i dont think there will be a lockout either. the NBA is the best league in the world with probably the best commissioner.
                        http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

So would they have a draft of sorts with the players? If that was the case this might be the best time in the NBA to suck. If we end up having access to say Gerald Wallace or even the draft rights or Rubio. What are the logistics if this goes down?

Comment

Teams Leaked By Source and Shaq's Opinion

Interesting Rumor:
                            With the labor agreement between the league and the players set to expire June 30, Stern said he was hoping to reduce player costs by at least $700 million and that the league would “continue to be open to contraction.’’

While Stern did not single out any franchises, a team source indicated that Charlotte, Memphis and New Orleans might be among the small-market cities in jeopardy of losing their teams.
                            Shaq attack:
                            “I can tell you there are some franchises that I know of that are not making money because they don’t have the players, and in the economy that we’re living in, I understand,’’ O’Neal said. “But also general managers have to start taking responsibility, too.’’
                            “Some of these guys they’re paying $20 million to . . . If I’m running the business and my payroll’s too high and I’m not bringing enough money in, then that’s me,’’ O’Neal said. “It’s not the owner, it’s the general manager or the [chief financial officer], because they have to take some of the responsibility because it’s their payroll. I know there are franchises not making money.
                            “Again, some of these general managers have to look at themselves, too, because if their team isn’t making money, then what did you do wrong?’’
                            Source: Boston.com

Comment

Do I smell a new Shaq vs.?

Chris Wallace and Shaq face off in a bid to build the ultimate team from scraps.

Comment

Working...
                              X