• Show
Clear All

• 2011 NBA Dunk Competition

I guess it's not official yet but apparently it'll be:

Blake Griffin
    Jevale McGee
    Serge Ibaka
    Brandon Jennings

Kinda big man heavy, and I've never seen Jennings have many flashy dunks(plus he's got a broken foot at the moment).

Excited for Blake though, even McGee.

What do you guys think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5990603

they should forgo the contest and just give the trophy to griffin

Comment

Ibaka has mad hops. I could see him taking this. Griffin is no doubt a great game dunker but he needs to bring a lot more than game dunks to win the jam competition.

I am so glad the Nate Robinson isn't in the dunk competition. I feel he always got "sweetheart" grades because of his size when his dunks mostly were not the best looking dunks in the competitions he won. Iggy got hosed and I thought DeMar dunked better than Nate as well.

Comment

I hate each one of those options. These guys might put up good dunks in games but that is completely different than dunk competition dunks. It's a different style altogether. I'm not convinced griffin does dunk competition dunks.

I agree with Apollo. DeMar and Iggy got hosed because that guy is 4 feet tall. His dunks weren't that great. DeMar just screwed up on his last dunk and lost it.

Comment

russell westbrook needs to enter as well he got hops like a mother, we also need redemption DEMAR 4 2011 dunk contest
          NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

That field is awful. Mcgee is a great in-game dunker. Ibaka has hops, but I don't know if he's a creative dunker. There's no real swingmen in this competition. It's just 3 bigmen and a point guard. I see Griffin walking away with it. He's already got a lot of buzz - that in itself will win it.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
              russell westbrook needs to enter as well he got hops like a mother, we also need redemption DEMAR 4 2011 dunk contest
              Good point. The guy posts one of the sickest dunk competition jams ever in the semifinals and does alright in the finals and gets no invite this year? He's playing a lot more minutes now so it's not like he's off the radar compared to last season. I don't understand that. No one from last year got an invite or at least accepted so this is why I don't feel too bad about it.

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              That field is awful. Mcgee is a great in-game dunker. Ibaka has hops, but I don't know if he's a creative dunker. There's no real swingmen in this competition. It's just 3 bigmen and a point guard. I see Griffin walking away with it. He's already got a lot of buzz - that in itself will win it.
              This has happened leading up to every dunk competition. There have been lots of disappointments in the past from guys who gonna "bring the house down". Bottom line is if he brings boring game dunks to the competition he won't stand a chance. The judges don't seem to get excited by brand names. They get excited by creative/spectacular dunks and short guys.
              Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jan 5, 2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                This has happened leading up to every dunk competition. There have been lots of disappointments in the past from guys who gonna "bring the house down". Bottom line is if he brings boring game dunks to the competition he won't stand a chance. The judges don't seem to get excited by brand names. They get excited by creative/spectacular dunks and short guys.
                I think the judges do get excited by brand names. Afterall, Dwight Howard won the dunk competition one year throwing the ball into the net. He also won another year in which he entered the competition. Griffin gets enough buzz as it is and I'm sure if he does run of the mill, yawn, ordinary dunks, he should win. But you are right on short guys. The judges love them some short guys, so with that being said, I'm predicting a Jennings-Griffin final.

Comment

I say they need players like: Westbrook, JR Smith, Griffin, McGee, Lebron, Ellis, D- Rose, Chandler and even Weems.
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

If they took out McGee and Ibaka and put in JR Smith and Shannon Brown, then you'd get some more competition and more buzz.

If the NBA put up 1 million for the winner, you'd see guys like Lebron, Carter come out for it. No one wants to play for 25K. For them, it's like a drop in the bucket. It's like if you make 40K year, would you enter a compeition where you win $40 if it meant you could lose some rep?

Comment

The years Dwight Howard won I felt he had the nicest dunks and it had nothing to do with who he was. Who he was got him a spot in the competition and nothing else.

Shannon Brown was in it last season and put the crowd to sleep.

Comment

His sticker dunk was the best. Or the one where he punched the ball off the backboard, caught it with one hand and dunked it. I wasn't a fan of the superman dunk. That was lame.

Brown's a good dunker. I'd like to see him get another chance, especially over Ibaka or McGee.

Comment

Brown seems to have no creativity what so ever. He's a prime example of a game dunker. In my opinion he doesn't deserve another shot with so many other guys out there to choose from. I think Ibaka and McGee both have a legit chance at getting better first round scores than Brown. Didn't Brown land the lowest score last year, which was 37?

Comment

Westbrook should have definitely have been part of this years competition.

After Vince Carter, the dunk competition got pretty boring for me. I was pretty entertained though when some props were thrown into the mix recently like the sticker on the backboard, the little basketball hoop beside the big one, the candle on the back of the rim. The superman dunk was pretty lame. This years competition seems to be a foregone conclusion with Blake the winner.
                            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

JRich was SICK back in the day as well. Off the backboard, between the legs?! You kidding me??

Comment

Working...
                              X