Re-Signing With Nuggets Still A Good Possibility For Melo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Signing With Nuggets Still A Good Possibility For Melo

The popular opinion is that Anthony will simply opt-out of his final contract year this summer and walk to the New York Knicks, however as easy as that sounds to Knicks fans to justify, the hard realities that he'd have to give up a lot of money are setting in and for the first time and in the clearest of terms Anthony has said to reporters, what he's been saying to the Nuggets privately.

Carmelo has not ruled out extending with the Nuggets.

"I was thinking it was something that I would take a real hard look at ... and make my decision."

"As the days go on, that's something that I think about, that nothing might happen, that I'll be here, whether I have to deal with the free-agency market or re-sign the extension here with the Nuggets," Anthony said to Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post.

"I'd have to really know and understand what the future holds," Anthony said of the Nuggets. "I'm hearing things about what direction they want to go in; they want to get younger and things like that. Though I'm 26, this is my eighth season. I'm not getting younger as far as the years go. Before you know it, I'll be in my 10th, 11th season already. That's something that I really got to take a look at."

What Carmelo means to say is he sees a Nuggets' roster with a lot of older players on ending contracts and there is no clearly defined succession plan in place. There is no clearly defined future in Denver and that's what has started all of this.

Despite all of the chaos outside the team, the Nuggets are handling all of the uncertainty pretty well and Carmelo said he understands that the Nuggets go as he goes and he is trying to keep the distractions of trades out of the locker room as much as he can.

"I think they feed off of me, and my energy," said Anthony. "If I come in here and my head is down and moping around and not practicing and not playing hard in games, then they are going to do the same thing. As long as I keep coming in and do what I gotta do and being the guy that I am and the person I am, then they have no worries about it."

The Nuggets' first option has always been to extend Carmelo Anthony. They have made that clear from the beginning of this. The trade talks and the rumors end today if Carmelo says he'll extend.

It seems more and more likely that a trade at the deadline involving Carmelo may not happen, and it seems Carmelo is being honest in saying he'd look long and hard at the Nuggets extension offer, because there is no scenario in which Carmelo Anthony is going to leave $81.5 million on the table without knowing clearly what's lies ahead in free agency.
    Source: Hoops World
Working...
X