Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more Jerry Sloan in Utah?? Hell hath frozen over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Jerry Sloan in Utah?? Hell hath frozen over.

Wowzers... that was a shock. At first when they said 'he would resign on Thursday', I thought they meant re-sign... had to read everything twice.

Jerry Sloan Steps Down

I should ask before anyone else.... Think he'll coach the Raptors? LOL

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Why wouldn't he? I heard he came asking if there was an opening.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Why wouldn't he? I heard he came asking if there was an opening.
        Link to that tid bit? Wonderful idea but I don't believe it. It would be disrespectful to Jay Triano and his staff to do that. Sloan sounds like he has a lot more class than that. I don't think his half court style gels well with what Colangelo envisions the Raptors as being and then we need to factor in that Sloan is 69. I'd love to see happen though. Guaranteed Bargnani would be in the dog house in no time.

Phil Jackson is done in L.A. at season end. Maybe Sloan waits to see what happens there?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Link to that tid bit? Wonderful idea but I don't believe it. It would be disrespectful to Jay Triano and his staff to do that. Sloan sounds like he has a lot more class than that. I don't think his half court style gels well with what Colangelo envisions the Raptors as being and then we need to factor in that Sloan is 69. I'd love to see happen though. Guaranteed Bargnani would be in the dog house in no time.

Phil Jackson is done in L.A. at season end. Maybe Sloan waits to see what happens there?
          Was 100% kidding. Why the HELL would Jerry Sloan leave "Struggling" Utah for Toronto? hahah But I would love to see it happen.

Comment

Www.espn.com

Thats the link. Just saw it. I don't think he wants to continue coaching at 70 years old. No matter for whom.

Comment

Was 100% kidding. Why the HELL would Jerry Sloan leave "Struggling" Utah for Toronto? hahah But I would love to see it happen.
              At times when long tenured coaches "resign" it's really that they were axed but the team is showing them respect in allowing them to leave with dignity intact.

Comment

At times when long tenured coaches "resign" it's really that they were axed but the team is showing them respect in allowing them to leave with dignity intact.
                Hmm.. very good point, actually. (See Brown, Larry of Charlotte Bobcats)

Actually you think thats what that whole "1 year extension" was about, with Sloan? Save face for everyone involved?

Comment

Not sure but it would certainly be a nice gesture. Why would the guy quit on the team midway when he apparently has no desire to retire just yet?

Comment

It's official, Sloan is retiring not resigning as he puts it. He says he "just doesn't have the energy" to keep coaching.

He also makes it clear that he will not be coaching anywhere else, that he's done. So there it is.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                      It's official, Sloan is retiring not resigning as he puts it. He says he "just doesn't have the energy" to keep coaching.

He also makes it clear that he will not be coaching anywhere else, that he's done. So there it is.
                      Why not say something as he was signing his name on a 1-year contract though? Y'know. It's fishy.
                      Does he still get paid that money? If so I imagine Utah knew about his feelings before he signed.

Comment

Why not say something as he was signing his name on a 1-year contract though? Y'know. It's fishy.
                        Does he still get paid that money? If so I imagine Utah knew about his feelings before he signed.
                        He's 69. He could have health issues. Not everybody is comfortable talking about stuff like that.

Comment

He's 69. He could have health issues. Not everybody is comfortable talking about stuff like that.
                          I completely understand, thats why I'm saying maybe Utah wanted to keep him on the payroll (1 year extension) as a show of gratitude, but ultimately knew that moving forward might actually be the best course of action for everyone.
                          I'm just trying to understand how the extension works into all of this.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Nah, He would not want to get an heart-attack coaching this disparate group of players that are not willing to defend and rebound.lol.

Comment

coaches a dying bred ?

brad childress, jeff fisher, jerry sloan all no longer coaching mainly due to player coach conflicts.

I hope the CBA for both the nfl and nba allows for better stability in these leagues. I really want the age limit to be raised to 23 or 3 years of college these children are softening our league. There needs to be a hard cap so teams can not simply buy a championship. Only a percentage of contracts should be guaranteed because as the saying goes "the best inspiration is desperation" and I want the nba to put in place a franchise tag like the nfl so teams who spend 3,4,5 years developing a player and building around that player simply do not have all that work thrown away over night.

Comment

Working...
                              X