Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Casey got mocked last year when he said we weren't a good passing team, but maybe I'm the only one who agrees. Kyle is an OK passer for a PG, but nothing more and that's not really his strength, He throws the worst oops and is too short to see over the D a lot of times.

    DD and JV's issues seem to be tunnel vision, a perfect example being that play at the end of the Bulls game. To their credit they do seem to be trying to improve: DD is finally starting to facilitate. My favourite moment the past few games was JV driving from the top of the key and instead of forcing up a contested shot, whipping the ball to DC for a wide open 3.
    His quote was laughable because Lou and GV were at all time lows in AST%, a direct result of Casey's offensive strategy, and not a result of them both forgetting how to pass the ball. We've now seen the same thing happen to Carroll and Scola, as both are sporting career low AST% this year.

    Comment


    • Primer wrote: View Post
      His quote was laughable because Lou and GV were at all time lows in AST%, a direct result of Casey's offensive strategy, and not a result of them both forgetting how to pass the ball. We've now seen the same thing happen to Carroll and Scola, as both are sporting career low AST% this year.
      Hell, Lou has a better assist rate this year with the Lakers, who are incredibly dysfunctional, than he had last year with us.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

      Comment


      • Primer wrote: View Post
        His quote was laughable because Lou and GV were at all time lows in AST%, a direct result of Casey's offensive strategy, and not a result of them both forgetting how to pass the ball. We've now seen the same thing happen to Carroll and Scola, as both are sporting career low AST% this year.
        We're talking 2 different things. The Raptors offensive system suppresses passing - that's something that everyone agrees on. And I'm not a fan of it either.

        Lou is not a good passer. Yeah, he got more assists in Atlanta but also turned the ball over a lot. And the same is holding true in LA.

        On the other hand, yes GV is a good passer. Then add in PPat and Ross, neither of whom have ever been complemented on their passing skills.

        So the 7 players with the most minutes last year

        GV - good
        Lowry - OK
        Other 5 poor to bad.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

        Comment


        • JWash wrote: View Post
          Pretty sure DeMar was just upset about them suggesting that he gets traded or won't be coming back next season? They also talked about Kyle being dealt which I'm sure would annoy DD as well.

          That seems perfectly justified imo, it's not like his response was over the top anyway

          If anything that seems like a good thing to me, reinforces the idea that he wants to be here.

          EDIT: And at the end they start calling him the modern-day Rudy Gay? DeMar isn't playing anything like the way Rudy was right now.
          I made a similar comment on this in the Ross thread that I can't find. Essentially the point was: nothing to see here. You only have a negative opinion on it if you were already looking for something negative. He handled it pretty well.

          Barolt wrote: View Post
          Hell, Lou has a better assist rate this year with the Lakers, who are incredibly dysfunctional, than he had last year with us.
          I honestly think this depresses me more than anything else.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

          Comment


          • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            We're talking 2 different things. The Raptors offensive system suppresses passing - that's something that everyone agrees on. And I'm not a fan of it either.

            Lou is not a good passer. Yeah, he got more assists in Atlanta but also turned the ball over a lot. And the same is holding true in LA.

            On the other hand, yes GV is a good passer. Then add in PPat and Ross, neither of whom have ever been complemented on their passing skills.

            So the 7 players with the most minutes last year

            GV - good
            Lowry - OK
            Other 5 poor to bad.
            For pretty much anyone on our team except DeMar, Lowry, Scola and Joseph, it's impossible to tell if they're good passers. Because they don't have the ball in their hands enough to know.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

            Comment


            • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              We're talking 2 different things. The Raptors offensive system suppresses passing - that's something that everyone agrees on. And I'm not a fan of it either.

              Lou is not a good passer. Yeah, he got more assists in Atlanta but also turned the ball over a lot. And the same is holding true in LA.

              On the other hand, yes GV is a good passer. Then add in PPat and Ross, neither of whom have ever been complemented on their passing skills.

              So the 7 players with the most minutes last year

              GV - good
              Lowry - OK
              Other 5 poor to bad.
              He barely turned the ball over in Atlanta and had a 2/1 AST/TO ratio there. Hardly a bad passer or turnover prone.

              You're dead on it's our offensive system that suppresses passing. It's not the personnel.

              This year we're averaging 18.42 assists per game, 2nd worst in the NBA after the Utah Jazz. It's all the shitty system.

              Comment


              • Barolt wrote: View Post
                For pretty much anyone on our team except DeMar, Lowry, Scola and Joseph, it's impossible to tell if they're good passers. Because they don't have the ball in their hands enough to know.
                Sure you can. Are you saying you can't tell if Bismack is a good passer or not?
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                Comment


                • I've seen PP make some pretty good, quick read passes before. I think he's good at it (when he's not in a big funk that is).
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

                  Comment


                  • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    How do you know what the return would be in this fantasy-land trade suggestion?

                    If you want to discuss the pros/cons of trading a particular player (DeRozan in this thread) that's fine, but framing it so that any poster suggesting a DeRozan trade is automatically endorsing tanking, reeks of baiting even if that wasn't your intent.
                    To be fair he had a point.

                    If DD and Lowry are being traded it's likely to go for a full-scale tank and rebuild.

                    Comment


                    • Bebe can pass the rock.

                      Comment


                      • Primer wrote: View Post
                        He barely turned the ball over in Atlanta and had a 2/1 AST/TO ratio there. Hardly a bad passer or turnover prone.

                        You're dead on it's our offensive system that suppresses passing. It's not the personnel.

                        This year we're averaging 18.42 assists per game, 2nd worst in the NBA after the Utah Jazz. It's all the shitty system.
                        Lou had 350 AST/105 Bad Pass TO's in Atl.

                        CoJo this yr/last has 294 AST/ 40 Bad Pass TO's
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                        Comment


                        • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          Lou had 350 AST/105 Bad Pass TO's in Atl.

                          CoJo this yr/last has 294 AST/ 40 Bad Pass TO's
                          This all agrees with what I said. Lou is a good passer, we replaced him with an even better passer, and yet we're still 2nd to last in the NBA in assists per game.

                          Comment


                          • Primer wrote: View Post
                            This all agrees with what I said. Lou is a good passer, we replaced him with an even better passer, and yet we're still 2nd to last in the NBA in assists per game.
                            CoJo is an adequate, though improving, playmaker.

                            Lou is not as good as adequate as a playmaker.

                            I guess it all comes down to ones definition of good.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                            Comment


                            • Primer wrote: View Post
                              This all agrees with what I said. Lou is a good passer, we replaced him with an even better passer, and yet we're still 2nd to last in the NBA in assists per game.
                              2nd last is actually an improvement from a month ago, although I think Utah actually went down rather than us improving.

                              You can still pass the ball with having a roster of good passers. A system can account for these things with angles, screens and whatnot to make the passes easier. It's not like you ask every player to make Steph Curry or Chris Paul passes.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                              If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                              Comment


                              • Axel wrote: View Post
                                2nd last is actually an improvement from a month agoalthough I think Utah actually went down rather than us improving. ,

                                You can still pass the ball with having a roster of good passers. A system can account for these things with angles, screens and whatnot to make the passes easier. It's not like you ask every player to make Steph Curry or Chris Paul passes.
                                I was incorrect; I could be more depressed.
                                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X