Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'd also like to see a breakdown of how many pull-ups get forced by shot locks and tight D vs. are open. An open pull-up 3 on the break does not come across as a bad shot to me (not thinking by Demar here). Scottie Pippen used to make teams pay with that shot.

    Comment


    • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      I'd also like to see a breakdown of how many pull-ups get forced by shot locks and tight D vs. are open. An open pull-up 3 on the break does not come across as a bad shot to me (not thinking by Demar here). Scottie Pippen used to make teams pay with that shot.
      See, here's the problem. People keep suggesting that DeMar's pull-up percentages are bad because he shoots them in late shot clock situations where we don't have a better shot. Thing is, his 3pt percentage is actually better in the 4-0 shot clock range(38.5%) and the 7-4 shot clock range(44.4%) than it is in the 15-7 shot clock range(21.1%).
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

      Comment


      • Barolt wrote: View Post
        See, here's the problem. People keep suggesting that DeMar's pull-up percentages are bad because he shoots them in late shot clock situations where we don't have a better shot. Thing is, his 3pt percentage is actually better in the 4-0 shot clock range(38.5%) and the 7-4 shot clock range(44.4%) than it is in the 15-7 shot clock range(21.1%).
        18.8% with the shot clock off, no need to leave that one out (especially when he's taken that more than the 4-7 and 0-4). It's hard to discern much from just the time left on the shot clock.

        Comment


        • JWash wrote: View Post
          18.8% with the shot clock off, no need to leave that one out (especially when he's taken that more than the 4-7 and 0-4). It's hard to discern much from just the time left on the shot clock.
          You're right, sorry. Shouldn't have left that one out. I just think that if he's this bad at pull-up 3s, we really ought to be able to find a better shot than that, even against good defense.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

          Comment


          • Barolt wrote: View Post
            You know why our true shooting goes up when the Lowry + Bench group is on the floor? It's not because we have better players out there, DeMar's better than anyone in that group but Lowry. It's not because they hit tougher shots either. It's because we move the ball to create a better shot. If the best shot you can get yourself is a terrible one, it's time to trust your teammates.

            Trusting his teammates has been a big area of growth for DeMar this season, and it's still an area where he can get a lot better.
            I think maybe Casey and Masai figured out that it would be wise to let DeMar and Kyle "have their heads" for awhile. Sorta let them find their own "ceilings" - be "all they can be". It's really no more than creating a player-focused program ... and it may have everything to do with why our all stars are happy ... and staying ... and having career years.

            And now I think we see DD and KL ready to take a step back, and involve others more - true. You could call that "trusting", I suppose - makes sense. But maybe they themselves are just ready. Just realize that that's the logical next phase for them. Diversify. It's their team, really. And it's pretty damned good.

            Comment


            • Barolt wrote: View Post
              See, here's the problem. People keep suggesting that DeMar's pull-up percentages are bad because he shoots them in late shot clock situations where we don't have a better shot. Thing is, his 3pt percentage is actually better in the 4-0 shot clock range(38.5%) and the 7-4 shot clock range(44.4%) than it is in the 15-7 shot clock range(21.1%).
              I'm talking about pull-ups in general. For Demar I don't think we know the breakdown of when he's shooting more set shots. I'd guess we're finding him good looks with ball movement as the clock winds down. Does anyone have good recollection of the few pull-ups he's taken?

              Comment


              • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                I think maybe Casey and Masai figured out that it would be wise to let DeMar and Kyle "have their heads" for awhile. Sorta let them find their own "ceilings" - be "all they can be". It's really no more than creating a player-focused program ... and it may have everything to do with why our all stars are happy ... and staying ... and having career years.

                And now I think we see DD and KL ready to take a step back, and involve others more - true. You could call that "trusting", I suppose - makes sense. But maybe they themselves are just ready. Just realize that that's the logical next phase for them. Diversify. It's their team, really. And it's pretty damned good.
                i don't think so.

                Derozan's game has changed dramatically this season mainly due to shot selection. To me it seems much more likely that someone finally sat down and made it clear that he needed to change his approach.

                Comment


                • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  I'm talking about pull-ups in general. For Demar I don't think we know the breakdown of when he's shooting more set shots. I'd guess we're finding him good looks with ball movement as the clock winds down. Does anyone have good recollection of the few pull-ups he's taken?
                  nba.com shot logs seem to be down at the moment, so I'm having a hard time pulling it up. But when it's back up I should be able to pull movement charts for those attempts, sure.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                  Comment


                  • Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                    I think maybe Casey and Masai figured out that it would be wise to let DeMar and Kyle "have their heads" for awhile. Sorta let them find their own "ceilings" - be "all they can be". It's really no more than creating a player-focused program ... and it may have everything to do with why our all stars are happy ... and staying ... and having career years.

                    And now I think we see DD and KL ready to take a step back, and involve others more - true. You could call that "trusting", I suppose - makes sense. But maybe they themselves are just ready. Just realize that that's the logical next phase for them. Diversify. It's their team, really. And it's pretty damned good.
                    When you say 'their team', you're focusing on the wrong word for why we're good this season. You keep thinking the important word there is 'theirs', as in Kyle/DeMar's. The important word there is 'team', as in we're actually playing like one this season. The more we play like a team, the better we are.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                    Comment


                    • KHD wrote: View Post
                      i don't think so.

                      Derozan's game has changed dramatically this season mainly due to shot selection. To me it seems much more likely that someone finally sat down and made it clear that he needed to change his approach.
                      Subtle difference, maybe. Reminds me of the saying:

                      "When the student is ready, the master will appear ..." (Buddha?)

                      As one person put it:
                      ... Note the word "facilitators" – all education, and thus change, ultimately takes place on the student side. A teacher can light the way and ease the way – in other words, facilitate learning – but the learner has to walk the path. - Bill Wilder, M.Ed. http://www.industryweek.com/blog/whe...er-will-appear
                      Figuring out when someone is ready for what you've got to teach is important, too. Maybe Casey's good at that.

                      Comment


                      • Barolt wrote: View Post
                        You know why our true shooting goes up when the Lowry + Bench group is on the floor? It's not because we have better players out there, DeMar's better than anyone in that group but Lowry. It's not because they hit tougher shots either. It's because we move the ball to create a better shot. If the best shot you can get yourself is a terrible one, it's time to trust your teammates.

                        Trusting his teammates has been a big area of growth for DeMar this season, and it's still an area where he can get a lot better.
                        Good post, dude.

                        The bold is to highlight the good and what many posted endlessly about for years.

                        Comment


                        • Barolt wrote: View Post
                          See, here's the problem. People keep suggesting that DeMar's pull-up percentages are bad because he shoots them in late shot clock situations where we don't have a better shot. Thing is, his 3pt percentage is actually better in the 4-0 shot clock range(38.5%) and the 7-4 shot clock range(44.4%) than it is in the 15-7 shot clock range(21.1%).
                          But if I remember correctly, his percentage was just atrocious in the clock off scenario which really are the end of possessions jacking up dumb shots area?

                          The rest to me might just be statistical noise with a player as inconsistent with his 3 point jumper as DeMar

                          Comment


                          • KHD wrote: View Post
                            i don't think so.

                            Derozan's game has changed dramatically this season mainly due to shot selection. To me it seems much more likely that someone finally sat down and made it clear that he needed to change his approach.
                            And the results (i.e. wins plus inflated individual stats) seem to reinforce this good behaviour.

                            Comment


                            • DD with three straight games with 25 FGAs

                              Lets get that number south of 20. The team is better when we spread the offense

                              Comment


                              • OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                DD with three straight games with 25 FGAs

                                Lets get that number south of 20. The team is better when we spread the offense
                                Only 17 FGAs vs the Clippers.

                                Still, 30+ points on 25 FGAs with at least 4 assists in 3 wins. That doesn't really get many people clamouring for a strategy change.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X