Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Somebody else who is closer to helping make it a good investment.

I would be all in on giving DeMar a $25 million contract in which the amount he made was tied to his performance in different categories. I know it's never going to happen, but if DeMar could somehow be induced to go back to his play of earlier in the season when he was passing, getting assists, corralling rebounds, staying in front of his mad...that would be exciting.
    The CBA limits deals to 15% incentives. So 85% of any contract has to be salary, not incentive.

Also, players don't like incentives - they always represent a deduction in salary (non-guaranteed salary) rather than an increase, as the entire contract, including incentives, has to fit under the cap or exception. Not a good bargaining tool in a market where everyone and their uncle is going to offer the max for 4 years.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      +1 people worry too much about stuff they can't control. I personally think on D he did his job. He was chasing Deng off the 3 point line. Where he shot 51.3% against Charlotte. Against the raptors(with DD as his main defender) he shot 22.2% from 3. He also shot 35.8 from the field, compared to 54.1% against Charlotte.
      Against CHA Deng got off 31 threes classified as open or wide open. He hit 18 of them, an insane number. He got hot in that series.

Against TOR, Deng got off only 16 open or wide open threes. That's good (well, better than Charlotte did anyway). But he also only hit 4 of them. That's just him going cold.

So credit to DeMar (and other defenders) for not letting Deng shoot as much as he did against the Hornets. But a lot of his lack of success this series was just him going cold on uncovered three point shots.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
        Who fills that position.

Thats all that matters really.
        The argument for replacing DeMar isn't to find another DeMar.

It's to use someone like Ross or Powell to fill the position, on lower usage and higher defensive expectation. The the difference in usage is split between JV and the remainder of the starters. Go to a ball/player movement based system and Carroll's usage can go up a bit, and some can go to whoever starts at the 4.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
          Who fills that position.

Thats all that matters really.
          Barolt wrote: View Post
          The argument for replacing DeMar isn't to find another DeMar.

It's to use someone like Ross or Powell to fill the position, on lower usage and higher defensive expectation. The the difference in usage is split between JV and the remainder of the starters. Go to a ball/player movement based system and Carroll's usage can go up a bit, and some can go to whoever starts at the 4.
          Don't forget a possible upgrade at PF as a result of DeRozan's contract not hanging over us.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Anyone who thought it would be Norm got smacked back to reality when the Heat neutralized his offense and exposed him on defense by locking Wade and JJ on him. I like Norm, I like his game, and I'm really happy he's here but the starting SG of the Raptors he is not right now. Not all the time at least. One thing they could do is address the potential void on draft night.

One idea is Buddy Hield if they feel he's the real deal.

One idea is to trade back in the draft, attempting to land a guy like TJ Warren in a swap and then also draft Denzel Valentine.

One idea no one is going to like to think about is maybe Ujiri gives Ross a promotion. LOL
            The problem with comparing Powell and Demar in that series is that one guy took 13 shots in under 8 minutes per game and the other took 152 shots in over 38 mpg. Really hard to compare but neither played well offensively.

I like Heild and think he'll make a fine pro in the Reddick mold.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Against CHA Deng got off 31 threes classified as open or wide open. He hit 18 of them, an insane number. He got hot in that series.

Against TOR, Deng got off only 16 open or wide open threes. That's good (well, better than Charlotte did anyway). But he also only hit 4 of them. That's just him going cold.

So credit to DeMar (and other defenders) for not letting Deng shoot as much as he did against the Hornets. But a lot of his lack of success this series was just him going cold on uncovered three point shots.
              It wasn't just 3s he shot 355 from the field. C'mon the raptors deserve some credit. Going into the series everyone was saying how Deng was going to torch us. Why are most so quick to discredit the raps?
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It wasn't just 3s he shot 355 from the field. C'mon the raptors deserve some credit. Going into the series everyone was saying how Deng was going to torch us. Why are most so quick to discredit the raps?
                Yes, the Raptors deserve some credit, though I wouldn't credit DeMar with Deng's low FG% - he got blown by a ridiculous amount and Biyombo, PP and JV cleaned up a lot of messes.

We should not ignore the reality that Deng went really cold in this series. Yes, we protected the rim against him well (kudos to the big men and the pack the paint defensive scheme) but his long range shooting, where he did most of his damage against CHA, was mostly just him going cold on wide open looks.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Anyone who thought it would be Norm got smacked back to reality when the Heat neutralized his offense and exposed him on defense by locking Wade and JJ on him. I like Norm, I like his game, and I'm really happy he's here but the starting SG of the Raptors he is not right now. Not all the time at least. One thing they could do is address the potential void on draft night.

One idea is Buddy Hield if they feel he's the real deal.

One idea is to trade back in the draft, attempting to land a guy like TJ Warren in a swap and then also draft Denzel Valentine.

One idea no one is going to like to think about is maybe Ujiri gives Ross a promotion. LOL
                  Wait a sec - who on the Raptors hasn't been badly "exposed" in the playoffs? Starting with our all-stars, right on down the line to solid role players like CoJo and even our $15M off-season FA prize, Carroll.

The difference is, non-rookies get unlimited opportunities to redeem themselves, with our offense/defenses designed to cover up their weaknesses (i.e. Lowry/DD).

Norm would do just fine in a clearly defined starting role with more responsibility and consistent touches & plays run specifically for him. Norm can easily be our CJ McCollum with vastly better defense, if that's what the franchise wants.

The easiest coaching parlor trick in basketball is to pump up the offensive numbers for scoring guards (see: James, Mike).

Comment

Yes, the Raptors deserve some credit, though I wouldn't credit DeMar with Deng's low FG% - he got blown by a ridiculous amount and Biyombo, PP and JV cleaned up a lot of messes.

We should not ignore the reality that Deng went really cold in this series. Yes, we protected the rim against him well (kudos to the big men and the pack the paint defensive scheme) but his long range shooting, where he did most of his damage against CHA, was mostly just him going cold on wide open looks.
                    When a guy is shooting 50+ from 3 the first thing you should be doing is chasing him off the three point line. I believe DD tried to do and did that. Sometimes he closed out of control but that was his role in the defensive scheme. Your entitled to your opinion but, just don't see how a guy can go from being that hot to that cold without the D not having any effect. Especially when there was no break between the two series.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

When a guy is shooting 50+ from 3 the first thing you should be doing is chasing him off the three point line. I believe DD tried to do and did that. Sometimes he closed out of control but that was his role in the defensive scheme. Your entitled to your opinion but, just don't see how a guy can go from being that hot to that cold without the D not having any effect. Especially when there was no break between the two series.
                      Those numbers were for open threes. The defence pretty definitively did not have anything to do with it.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Those numbers were for open threes. The defence pretty definitively did not have anything to do with it.
                        Just want to add DD's DFG%(Defended Field Goal Percentage) against Miami. Overall 37.2%, 3 Pointers 26.7% and 2 pointers 42.9%.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Just want to add DD's DFG%(Defended Field Goal Percentage) against Miami. Overall 37.2%, 3 Pointers 26.7% and 2 pointers 42.9%.
                          Yeah. He'd be the closest guy on those wide open threes Deng missed, so he'd get credit for those in all likelihood. We're quoting the same numbers over and over again here.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Wow...
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Wow...
                              First off, Dan's talking specifically about missed open looks and you're just ignoring it and pulling other stats out of the air. Not sure what's so hard to grasp here. Deng missed open 3's. That's a fact.

Secondly, I think you'll have a pretty hard time finding anyone, anywhere who will support you're idea that "DeMar shut down Deng" with his defense in round 2. Toronto's entire defense severely disrupted Miami's ball movement, and Deng, as an off-ball catch and shoot guy, probably suffered more than anyone else on the team. His usage, 3PA and touches per game all dropped in round 2. Add that to the fact that it's a small sample size where he just plain missed open shots, and you have your results for the round.

But trying to credit DeMar for shutting down a perimeter shooter? The Raptors had to "hide" DeMar on Deng because DD couldn't defend any of the other wings - Dragic, Wade, and JJ all would have destroyed him. Deng still got open looks. He missed.

Opponents shot 40% on 3's vs. DeMar all season long, 43% vs. him in the first round (league 3P% is 35.4% btw), then Deng missed shots in round 2 and all of a sudden DeMar is a 3-ball stopper. I'm in. I hope he keeps it up in round 3.
                              Last edited by S.R.; Tue May 17, 2016, 12:09 PM.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                First off, Dan's talking specifically about missed open looks and you're just ignoring it and pulling other stats out of the air. Not sure what's so hard to grasp here. Deng missed open 3's. That's a fact.

Secondly, I think you'll have a pretty hard time finding anyone, anywhere who will support you're idea that "DeMar shut down Deng" with his defense in round 2. Toronto's entire defense severely disrupted Miami's ball movement, and Deng, as an off-ball catch and shoot guy, probably suffered more than anyone else on the team. His usage, 3PA and touches per game all dropped in round 2. Add that to the fact that it's a small sample size where he just plain missed open shots, and you have your results for the round.

But trying to credit DeMar for shutting down a perimeter shooter? The Raptors had to "hide" DeMar on Deng because DD couldn't defend any of the other wings - Dragic, Wade, and JJ all would have destroyed him. Deng still got open looks. He missed.

Opponents shot 40% on 3's vs. DeMar all season long, 43% vs. him in the first round, then Deng missed shots in round 2 and all of a sudden DeMar is a 3-ball stopper. I'm in. I hope he keeps it up in round 3.
                                I'm not calling him a stopper but, its obvious with the way Deng shot in general throughout the series that the narrative of DD not playing any D is false. Nothing wrong with the stats I used there legit.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X