No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 9 years if a player is still suspect on defense, hope is little.

He started with very flawed fundamentals. Very difficult to just learn it.

Because he has no range, iso centric mentality, he has to go back to his comfort zone which we all know is the mid range game and foul fishing. He spend most of his energy earning two points then get hammered night in night out to get the bonus point.

All energy are spent with nothing to boot in defending his man.

Defense is about fundamentals and effort/energy.

Flawed

Comment

• Can we get playmaker-DeMar again?

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        This is the ugly truth right here. If you're stuck with artificial max players, you're always drawing dead against teams with true max players. It's the reason I've always been against building around Derozan.
        I think we had a window where we could have built with him instead of around him, but that window is probably gone.

Before we got capped out we had to add a true star, or at least a very high impact guy. Any of Butler, George, Cousins or the like would have worked enough to raise our ceiling. Once you have that strong core you can attract pieces like PJ Tucker, instead of having them jump ship.

I think now we just settle in for 45-55 win seasons and hope that one of the kids breaks out or Masai can work a trade miracle. With the roster set I'm not even sure firing Casey can really make much of a difference.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
          I think we had a window where we could have built with him instead of around him, but that window is probably gone.

Before we got capped out we had to add a true star, or at least a very high impact guy. Any of Butler, George, Cousins or the like would have worked enough to raise our ceiling. Once you have that strong core you can attract pieces like PJ Tucker, instead of having them jump ship.

I think now we just settle in for 45-55 win seasons and hope that one of the kids breaks out or Masai can work a trade miracle.
          With the roster set I'm not even sure firing Casey can really make much of a difference.
          We all realize this. That's why we're full of angst. But hey, at least we're not Sacramento.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            We all realize this. That's why we're full of angst. But hey, at least we're not Sacramento.
            If we truly realize this, why even have angst? Our record is where it's supposed to be. Especially after a tough road trip.

Further, I'm not sure how people can get upset and blame Casey, Kyle, and DeMar while simultaneously heaping praise on the guy who's built around them.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              If we truly realize this, why even have angst? Our record is where it's supposed to be. Especially after a tough road trip.

Further, I'm not sure how people can get upset and blame Casey, Kyle, and DeMar while simultaneously heaping praise on the guy who's built around them.
              ^^ Exactly lol. Everyone that was against a rebuild during the summer were comfortable with keeping the status quo. What did you expect was going to happen? Some of y'all need to stick to your guns or at least realize your contradictions when you blast the players you were rooting for.

Comment

• The issue is not DeRozan, its the style of play. We don't have the personnel to play this style of offence hence the inconsistency.

JV - he shouldn't be closing games PERIOD. I've been saying this for about 4 years now. He is shit defensively. I remember people mocking me just like this year when i said VanVleet is better than Wright. Well, 4 years later people are finally realizing that JV is not all that. I'm going to give you guys more time to realize that VanVleet is better than Wright

JV is an energy big. I compared him to Robin Lopez 4 years ago and i got a lot of flak for it.....well?

JV just like most energy big needs to bring that energy every night to be effective.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• DeMar DeRozan is taking the hardest shots in the league (min 100 attempts). According to Second Spectrum, DeRozan's shots have an average quantified Shot Quality of 42.9%. This means, that given the type of shot, defensive pressure, location, an average player would have had an eFG% of 42.9% on the shots that DeRozan has taken. His actual eFG% is 48%. Dirk (qSQ = 44.7%) and Carmelo (qSQ = 45.3%) are just behind him.
                  Ben Alamar, ESPN Stats & Info
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Ibaka has the lowest ball iq on this team lol

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      The problem is that even on open looks he likes to dribble and pullup. His style isn't really suited for the style the Raptors want to play.

Comment

And?

Comment

Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                          The problem is that even on open looks he likes to dribble and pullup. His style isn't really suited for the style the Raptors want to play.
                          As I said he work his tail off for his two points and get beaten down for the ‘and 1’ that he has no energy left to defend plus the fact that his defensive fundamentals is pathetic.

Ujiri and Casey wanted this team to shoot the three and expand the floor but their main guy can’t consistently do it. Very counterintuitive.

Regular season sensation who can beat bottom dwellers.

Comment

• See, the thing that really gets to me, is the fact that DeRozan is not bad scoring without the ball. He utilizes his angles and footwork quite well around pin-downs and screens, and the fact that the Raptors don't call that more often is a bit mind-boggling.

The argument that most people would make is: "DeRozan would come off for mid-range jump shots, and those aren't effective anymore."

Remember when the name Rip Hamilton was tossed around as a comparison?

I've played the game as a young kid—I'm no NBA player, but, if the guy can get the shot off in a more effective fashion, that simple play call should be used. If they really want perimeter shooting, ask DeRozan to run wider—headhunt for the his effective three-point zones, which is the left corner (33.3%) and the above-the-break 3 (38.5%)—obviously small sample sizes.

In that case, when DeRozan does get the ball off those play calls, he can make the decision based on how the defence is playing him, and a lot of the times in those pin-down situations, there are all types of things you can exploit considering defenders having to chase and switch.

I think DeRozan CAN fit in the style of play the Raptors want to integrate, however, it's a two-way street—I think the coaching staff has to make the decision to implement even the simplest floppy action for DeRozan consistently, and it's up to him to be able to read the defence and attack based on their reaction.

He sure as hell won't be spending so much energy having to work for tough shots.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• DeMar DeRozan is at his best when he can operate and create in the mid-range area, the spot on the floor you’re never supposed to shoot from according to analytic theory.
                              This player should just travel in time and play before they paint a curve line beyond 22 feet.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                                This player should just travel in time and play before they paint a curve line beyond 22 feet.
                                Oh good, you've added a long drawn out signature about not liking derozans offense. What a refreshing addition to your profile

Last edited by KeonClark; Wed Nov 8, 2017, 05:33 PM.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X