Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Those are arguments you make for $16M-$18M. Not $25M.
    Again, I believe if that is their approach, they will be laughed out of the building. And I like Demar.
    You're welcome to your opinion - I grant you this lol

But just about everyone thought $40m over 4 years was nuts.

They aren't going into negotiations asking less than what they think he will get.

What you are saying is less than $12m in current salary cap world. Do you think DMars agent is asking for $12m or less if he is negotiating a contract for him today?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Because JV will be a under 6 years of service where demar is at 7.
      Considerable difference in dollar amounts.
      The final decision rests with team in RFA.
      I didn't say the dollar amounts were the same. Stop being a clown I explained in an earlier post that JV's max is lower starting at about 21-22M as opposed to 25M for DD. Either way he's more likely to get his max considering he's an RFA.

Comment

But just about everyone thought $40m over 4 years was nuts.

They aren't going into negotiations asking less than what they think he will get.

What you are saying is less than $12m in current salary cap world. Do you think DMars agent is asking for $12m or less if he is negotiating a contract for him today?
        Because Raptors fans are not rational when it comes to DeRozan.

He got slightly less than what Lawson, Holiday, and Curry (who had not yet emerged as a star and had ankle issues) got. Was a perfectly reasonable contract, and a steal in hindsight actually.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          I didn't say the dollar amounts were the same. Stop being a clown I explained in an earlier post that JV's max is lower starting at about 21-22M as opposed to 25M for DD. Either way he's more likely to get his max considering he's an RFA.
          Stop calling people "clowns". I get its better than some other names you could use, but really, we don't need to resort to name calling at all.

Comment

Thanks? Lol

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            No, I think Demar understands that $18M is $18M (ie ALOT of dough), regardless of what it may be relative to previous years.

Comment

• Lets assume for a minute that this is Demars negotiation strategy and he would be willing to sign for less. What is a reasonable price? 18-20 mil per year? Parsons, Hayward contracts?
              MeDar ReDozan

Comment

I've fully outlined it before, so don't really want to get into it, but Demar has nothing on what they had to offer, so again, I see no scenario, crazy GMs and all, where Demar gets a Max deal. I just don't. And I don't think Demar is dumb enough to think he is worth that.
                Contract values have rarely matched up with reality in the NBA.

The issue is scarcity. Because of the artificial ceiling imposed by the max, leftover dollars/capspace will always seek to find a home in secondary players. There are only so many true superstars. So guys like Tristan Thompson and Enes Kanter end up turning down $13mm/yr because they know some hard-up small-market team will try to land them.

If those guys end up making $15mm/yr, I'm pretty sure DeMar will demand at least $20mm/yr. And while that isn't the full max, it's too much of the cap to tie up in him.

I love Demar as a person, a leader, and a representative of this franchise. But as an asset he is very risky. The odds of him leaving or getting overpaid are simply too high. The only way you bring him back is if he indicates that he'd be comfortable with a team-friendly deal like Kyle's. Even then it's a risk, but an informed one.

The other half of the issue isn't an asset valuation one, but a team-building one. What kind of team do we want to be? By not changing Casey or DeRozan, how does this team grow? If the philosophy remains the same, and it appears to be an unsuccessful one, why should we expect different results in the future?

This was yet another reason we should have canned Casey. Under a new coach, at the very least we could have seen whether Demar can adapt to a better system or if he has totally peaked; that would have given us a brief window to make a trade.

In any case, Masai handled the Melo situation very well, and the Lowry one, so I have faith in him to handle the situation appropriately.

Comment

Thanks? Lol

No, I think Demar understands that $18M is $18M (ie ALOT of dough), regardless of what it may be relative to previous years.
                  I think ego among players in the league is based on contract....especially with younger guys as they haven't had their big contract(s) yet.

Players and more importantly agents are trying to get as much as they can - and I don't fault them for that. I don't see DeRozan or his agent saying $18m is enough if year feel they can get more.

Comment

I expect he and his agent would be laughed out of the building if that was their argument. By any team.
                    Yeah, most teams would, and should.

But as others have mentioned, all it takes is one team to NOT laugh him out of the building, and the market is set.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                      So why in the blue hell did Parsons and Hayward get the max when both guys were scoring in the mid-teens? Monta Ellis just one year prior only got 8M per year for scoring a shade under 20ppg.
                      That contract got Ellis' agent fired.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I expect he and his agent would be laughed out of the building if that was their argument. By any team.
                          Pretty sure the New York based teams would sign him. Money isn't the same issue to Knicks and Nets and it's fairly obvious that they aren't exactly up with the times.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• imagine DD in the triangle?
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              Pretty sure the New York based teams would sign him. Money isn't the same issue to Knicks and Nets and it's fairly obvious that they aren't exactly up with the times.
                              Great at 20M+ they can have him. Demar is clearly a second tier player and shouldn't even be sniffing a max deal. If Lebron and Demar are getting paid roughly the same, one team is getting really ripped off

Comment

• I think context is important. Teams are going to have a lot more money to throw around and the Raps can pay Demar the most. Let's wait and see how much players are going to get paid before we assume that Demar is going to get max. The teams that handle this right and get a handful of "stars" to take paycuts and play for 18-20 mill instead of 25 are going to be the teams that succeed.

I'm not sure how trades resolve the issue, eventually the Raps will have to pay players at the new rates. There is a floor they have to hit. Furthermore, if they trade Demar and/or Lowry to avoid paying the new contracts only to lose games, what was the benefit? In the current system Demar is likely under paid by a couple mill... Anyway, the easiest way to negotiate a contract lower than the 25 mill max is if this team has multiple players deserving of max/close to max contracts who want to stick together. That makes finding a SF of value and PF of value even more important IF you believe that you would rather keep Demar than trade him.

As stated earlier by someone else, firing Casey and bringing in a better coach would have probably made the assessment of Demar significantly easier... but it's not my job, I'm just here to enjoy the ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X