No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think many of us were very wrong about DD. Because of the setback last season, many assumed that DD's peak was 2013-14 and he would never again surpass that level of play. In retrospect I think we have to look at how his injury (yes I know he was playing poorly before the injury, but he's also got a track record of slow starts) and the laser-focus on iso-ball might have affected his play.

Really with DD there has been somewhat of a trend to his improvement it's just a really weird one. Adding strength, improving his ballhandling, improving his playmaking skills, becoming one of the best in the game at creating contact and drawing fouls, etc. None of that though really showed any tangible statistical improvement until 2013-14 and I think now that he's starting to really put the mature, mental aspect of the game together he's reaching a different level.

What's interesting is that there's still room for improvement. He can still take more of his offense inside imo and opt for the pass more often instead of the long two and the corner 3 is something that's vanished this year which he had been showing significant progress in. I'd like to see that come back and the majority of his 3PT attempts (which shouldn't be many) coming from there. That'll only help him be more efficient.

Anyway as for the Bulls game, he played a great floor game but wasn't super aggressive, which we kind of needed since a lot of guys didn't show up to this game. Wonder if he was even more focused on taking good shots than normal because of that Lowry interaction, but the shot chart was great. 9 out of 14 shots came in the paint, only 1 long 2, 3 15 footers and a corner three attempt.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      I think many of us were very wrong about DD. Because of the setback last season, many assumed that DD's peak was 2013-14 and he would never again surpass that level of play.
      Players reach the peak of their prime at around age 27-29. DD is 26. He should improve and he has. Of course his game is still the same, no 3 point shot, average defense, etc. but he has improved his awareness and decision-making and overall maturity. He is taking less stupid long 2's, driving more, and making the right choice with the ball most of the time.

Comment

• DD is playing amazing. He's been super efficient and making great decisions with the ball. I hope hes an all star this year with lowry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
          This.^

We had evidence (2013-14) that Demar can play really well. The last two months of last season (minus the playoffs) was enough evidence to suggest that he could do it again. The reason for the crow comments is due to the fact that many said it was a fluke and pointed to 6 years of evidence. Months and months of inefficient chucker comments...

#ProveEm

Remember?

It wasn't easy supporting Demar when the mob and pitch forks were out every single day. Can't we say we told you so?

I know it seems childish and it probably is. But it does feel good considering the backlash I personally faced on a daily basis.

So I say suck it up, for now. Everyone wins when Demar plays like this.

+1
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            I think many of us were very wrong about DD. Because of the setback last season, many assumed that DD's peak was 2013-14 and he would never again surpass that level of play. In retrospect I think we have to look at how his injury (yes I know he was playing poorly before the injury, but he's also got a track record of slow starts) and the laser-focus on iso-ball might have affected his play.

Really with DD there has been somewhat of a trend to his improvement it's just a really weird one. Adding strength, improving his ballhandling, improving his playmaking skills, becoming one of the best in the game at creating contact and drawing fouls, etc. None of that though really showed any tangible statistical improvement until 2013-14 and I think now that he's starting to really put the mature, mental aspect of the game together he's reaching a different level.

What's interesting is that there's still room for improvement. He can still take more of his offense inside imo and opt for the pass more often instead of the long two and the corner 3 is something that's vanished this year which he had been showing significant progress in. I'd like to see that come back and the majority of his 3PT attempts (which shouldn't be many) coming from there. That'll only help him be more efficient.

Anyway as for the Bulls game, he played a great floor game but wasn't super aggressive, which we kind of needed since a lot of guys didn't show up to this game. Wonder if he was even more focused on taking good shots than normal because of that Lowry interaction, but the shot chart was great. 9 out of 14 shots came in the paint, only 1 long 2, 3 15 footers and a corner three attempt.
            Pretty much said all this through the spring and summer. I'm glad you guys can finally see where I was coming from.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I'm happy to say I was wrong about this guy. I honestly didn't think he had the basketball IQ to hit another level but through hard work and dedication...all the things we heard about him but had never seen translated to anything more up until now, he's managed to hit a new level. I don't think he is a super star or top tier player, but would put him into the category of players like Horford, Griffin, Beal etc.

Hope he keeps this up because between he and Lowry, Raptors have a good thing going. Plus the other thing that I really like about DD, is that he seems to be well liked and connected with other young players and seems to be into the idea of bringing talent to Toronto.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Pretty much said all this through the spring and summer. I'm glad you guys can finally see where I was coming from.
                Nonsense.

You defended and justified his horrible play for years.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Nonsense.

Stop trying to discredit other people just cause, your wrong about DD....again. Never doubted DD could get better for a second. A lot of you did.

Always said that last year was a set back cause, he was injured. Even though everybody(including you) would say that I was making excuses. Than when he came back I kept saying it would take a bit for him to get back in form. It being a lower body injury and all. Than after being back for a month he exploded. After that I spent all summer trying to tell you guys that if DD was healthy he would continue where he left off to finish the season. Took a lot of hate all summer.

Yes, I supported his play before he got this good. I don't see a problem with that.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DD's already produced as many win shares (4.0) as last season in a little over half as many games.

AST%/TO% ratio is at a career high of over 2.0

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Stop trying to discredit other people just cause, your wrong about DD....again. Never doubted DD could get better for a second. A lot of you did.

Always said that last year was a set back cause, he was injured. Even though everybody(including you) would say that I was making excuses. Than when he came back I kept saying it would take a bit for him to get back in form. It being a lower body injury and all. Than after being back for a month he exploded. After that I spent all summer trying to tell you guys that if DD was healthy he would continue where he left off to finish the season. Took a lot of hate all summer.

Yes, I supported his play before he got this good. I don't see a problem with that.
                      There is nothing to discredit.

You believed in him, you had faith in him - good for you, you're one of his ultimate fans, that is what fans do. That is not an issue.

The issue is the changing of the story. Years spent defending and justifying horrible basketball only for people like yourself to say, "I told you so!" Screw that. If DeRozan had played with any consistent sense of cognitive ability over the previous 6 years there wouldn't have been so much to debate. Even up until last year he was defending his shots and style of play. Lowry's comment about "dumb ass shots" nailed it and DD didn't disagree. That is what teammates/buddies do - they tell the truth in the form of a barb/joke.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens come playoffs.

Comment

Nonsense.

I dunno.... I think you're making this up.

He defended Demar for sure, but that's not the same as justifying his "horrible" play. You really need to stop marrying the two.

I don't recall anyone saying that taking long 2's was ideal. Everyone said that he needs to improve his handles and 3 point shot. Some of us were more optimistic than others.

And how did Demar play horrible for years? You just made that up again. What's your definition of horrible?

Funny thing is that I can say you defended Bargnani's horrible play for years. Pot meet kettle.

At least Chr1stian1 is defending someone who he sees as a really good player and an all-star caliber one at that. One that you were completely blind to. COMPLETELY.

horrible play for someone who goes on to be named an all-star, named to Team USA, player of the Month and player of the week awards all within the last two years....How is this even possible?

Comment

He defended Demar for sure, but that's not the same as justifying his "horrible" play. You really need to stop marrying the two.

I don't recall anyone saying that taking long 2's was ideal. Everyone said that he needs to improve his handles and 3 point shot. Some of us were more optimistic than others.

And how did Demar play horrible for years? You just made that up again. What's your definition of horrible?

Funny thing is that I can say you defended Bargnani's horrible play for years. Pot meet kettle.

At least Chr1stian1 is defending someone who he sees as a really good player and an all-star caliber one at that. One that you were completely blind to. COMPLETELY.

horrible play for someone who goes on to be named an all-star, named to Team USA, player of the Month and player of the week awards all within the last two years....How is this even possible?

This is just spectacular.

Re: bold - Valanciunas anyone?

Comment

I've never ever seen him criticize demar ONCE. Not even once. That's crazy considering demar has had some horrible stretches of play over the years. That's crazy fandom
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• stil a tonne of back patting and chest thumping from "the believers"

I, Will remain unmoved. If he can give multiple seasons of this over the top, above his skill level, type of performance he has put in for the past month, then maybe I wont view as a negative as a starter on a championship or even conference finals team.

Comment

There is nothing to discredit.

You believed in him, you had faith in him - good for you, you're one of his ultimate fans, that is what fans do. That is not an issue.

The issue is the changing of the story. Years spent defending and justifying horrible basketball only for people like yourself to say, "I told you so!" Screw that. If DeRozan had played with any consistent sense of cognitive ability over the previous 6 years there wouldn't have been so much to debate. Even up until last year he was defending his shots and style of play. Lowry's comment about "dumb ass shots" nailed it and DD didn't disagree. That is what teammates/buddies do - they tell the truth in the form of a barb/joke.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens come playoffs.
                                It iwll be interesting to see what happens by February.

I strongly feel as though this has all been seen before with Demar...a month of unsustainable play....

Comment

Working...
                                X