Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Just because something is a fact doesn't mean it needs to be stated and re-stated and it doesn't mean that it lacks negative connotation.

To me it reads like a code-word with intent. Maybe that's not the case but that's how it reads and I think that's what CHristian isn't happy with.

Reminds me a lot of the "former all-star" thing that was only intended to highlight that he had lost his all-star status or whatever.
    I would agree if it was being used in a hashtag situation like #FakeWin or another baiting line.

But saying that it is a contract year in a post is perfectly accurate and fair.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      All summer I said that DD would go back to his 13-14 form. If he was heathy.
      Which he hasn't. He's been better by playing smarter.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        Meh. He played some really great basketball the last few seasons as well....

2013/14 all star

April 2015 player of the month (after missing 22 games with injury). Played excellent in March 2015.

It's pretty dumb to give up on a player like Demar. Funny how so many intelligent posters did exactly that. Just calling it as I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Oh come on! except for a month, he was terrible last season.

I mean, are you forgetting Kerr's quote on him? "Limit the catch and shoot. Demar almost never passes. Reverts to ISO". (something along those lines)

And of course this gem from demar himself "If I can get it off, it's a good shot for me".

2013/14 showed some promise, but that was squashed last season with his terrible ISO play. Oh, and christian was saying that he's playing well. I've NEVER seen him criticize demar once. That is crazy.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Has that been the argument? Has anyone ever said (please don't quote Snooch) that he is incapable of change? People simply weren't willing to bet on it considering the evidence. Surely even you must admit that this DeRozan this year is drastically different than last year, to a surprising degree.

And full credit for belief in DeMar being able to change his ways. But to be fair, the difference between you and his detractors comes down to only that belief if what you are saying is true. If you were consistent in your criticism of his bad shots then you were no different than I, except that you saw them disappearing, and that's very impressive. So long as you were not among the several posters who would laugh it up after a game where he hit a bunch of tough shots as though it were some sort of proof of improvement. Because as we are seeing, the true improvement has come from avoiding those shots entirely, which is the main thrust of the arguments his detractors have been making for years.
          Meh. Same player. Better shot selection.

I thought he would improve his shot selection as he matured.

His detractors wanted him off the team.

Surely you can see the big difference in support.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            I'm not particularly worried about demar putting up 'contract year' numbers. Usually, that's about TRYING harder for a year, or being in better shape, and neither of those apply to demar right now. He's playing better because:

- he's taking better shots - a result of either self realization, or coaching staff getting through.

- his work on his handles is really starting to pay off. When he drives into traffic, he has that extra bit of control that makes the difference between a deflection/turnover and a basket/FTs. Plus, his one handed passes off the dribble -righty or lefty- have become very strong.
            True if I find it later I'll post it, but there was a study done on "contract year" in sports and overall it tends to only impact effort stats. Something like shot selection typically isn't because of a contract year, but we'll see.

Comment

True if I find it later I'll post it, but there was a study done on "contract year" in sports and overall it tends to only impact effort stats. Something like shot selection typically isn't because of a contract year, but we'll see.
              I would be interested in seeing that.

I would tend to agree, but "focus" can be an effort thing, so is DD seeing good/bad shots naturally or is he putting more cognitive effort into reading the situation? Impossible to say.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                DeMar was always capable of this. This wasn't something where other posters thought he was incapable of playing like this. It was his history of playing extremely stupid basketball, taking shots that the defence WANTS you to take. He'd done it consistently over his career until this year, where he's had an epiphany of sorts. There was little faith he would suddenly start playing much smarter.

If you predicted he would reduce his midrange shot attempts dramatically and confine himself to driving the ball and generating inside looks or kicks out to teammates, please present that post and we'll congratulate you for your foresight. But my recollection of most DeMar supporters' arguments were that he was ALREADY playing well (he wasn't) and that he was capable of playing even better WITHOUT fundamentally changing his game (based on this year, he wasn't - it is the fundamental change that has driven his amazing efficiency this year).
                My argument (as a DeMar supporter or whatever, I hate this labelling nonsense because there's such a wide spectrum on both sides...) was always that DD could play better under a different coach. I expected that a superior coach would recognize his strengths and get him playing the way he is now (plus corner 3s, still waiting for that to be 90% of his 3s not 50%). Surprisingly, DD has just figured most of it out for himself, kind of irks me that people like to use words like idiot and stupid to describe him when Casey was clearly encouraging his style of play (and Casey has been his coach for basically his whole career minus 2 seasons, almost a father figure in terms of his formation and development in the league). Idk what happened but he appears to have recognized that he can score more on less shots, more efficiently by only using the long 2 out of necessity rather than a first option.

And to be fair on the "detractor side" or whatever, many people didn't even think he would change under a new coach or system or at all... ever. Not saying you're one of them, but that is the reality.

Very unwise to evaluate sports in terms of concretes.
                Last edited by JWash; Sun Dec 27, 2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                  Oh come on! except for a month, he was terrible last season.

I mean, are you forgetting Kerr's quote on him? "Limit the catch and shoot. Demar almost never passes. Reverts to ISO". (something along those lines)

And of course this gem from demar himself "If I can get it off, it's a good shot for me".

2013/14 showed some promise, but that was squashed last season with his terrible ISO play. Oh, and christian was saying that he's playing well. I've NEVER seen him criticize demar once. That is crazy.
                  Your opinion. I saw at least two months of great play. He missed a month and a half last season for goodness sake!

It's the refusal for you guys to give him anything unless he wins player of the month that is actually frustrating. Ignoring his injury. Not surprised.

Comment

He's playing better than 13-14. Difference between 13-14 and 14-15 was really that he was just making more shots in the former. This year he's really attacking in a very different way.

Comment

Exactly. And effort, off-season training, thirst to improve, overall commitment - these things have never been an issue for demar.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

He plays differently now.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          Which he hasn't. He's been better by playing smarter.
                          Well, I thought it was possible. I pretty sure you didn't.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                            Your opinion. I saw at least two months of great play. He missed a month and a half last season for goodness sake!

It's the refusal for you guys to give him anything unless he wins player of the month that is actually frustrating. Ignoring his injury. Not surprised.

"Coming off an injury" is a terrible excuse for not passing the ball.
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                              "Coming off an injury" is a terrible excuse for not passing the ball.
                              Now he doesn't pass the ball.

Lol

Keep em coming!

Last edited by special1; Sun Dec 27, 2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Well, I thought it was possible. I pretty sure you didn't.
                                No I didn't. Still not convinced it's here to stay. But will gladly be wrong again.

We can continue to go over the last 700 pages of posts to see who said what (pretty sure I can find some good ones for you) or we can move on.

Comment

Working...
                                X