Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    DeMar is becoming a master of the bank shot.

Attempting almost 1 per game and sinking them at a 65% clip.

http://www1.vantagesports.com/Articl...4gASIAAMcFC6MQ
    I don't understand that article. It says that DeMar has taken 28 bank shots and converted them at a 65% rate(sample size issues IMO), but then further down says that he's made 13 bankers. 13/28 != 65%, it's 46%.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      What I'm saying is that all of DeMar's midrange numbers are bad. Creating catch and shoot opportunities for him is a bad play.
      LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Limit his midrange shots maybe, but you can't get rid of them all together. We have to have a midrange game and as I've eluded to, not everyone on this roster is capable of getting their shot off in the same manner a feature scorer is. ....
      Agreed, L2. Some numbers require context. Sometimes great defence (and the shot clock) will prevent a better shot. DeMar's percentages are going up, because of better decisions/shot selection/discipline ... which ought to give him more "rope" to improve aspects of his game that he's prepared to work on, I think. And DeMar may feel he needs to maintain the threat of a mid-range shot to complement his drives, fakes and so on.

And it would seem a strong suggestion indeed that a 26-year-old featured scorer ought to simply give up on his 3-point and mid-range game entirely. Too strong - for this guy at this point, I would say. Just as assertively.
      Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Jan 7, 2016, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        I don't understand why you would post something like this. Clearly there is no context here for the type of shots some of those guys take in comparison to DD and the way he is utilized.

Honest to God, it's nothing personal, when I read stuff like this from what seems like an intelligent poster I can't help but think you don't even believe in what you're posting but you just want to win a debate. It's just argueing for the sake of argueing.
        First he wasn't a slasher, now he isn't a midrange shooter...

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
          Agreed, L2. Some numbers require context. Sometimes great defence (and the shot clock) will prevent a better shot. DeMar's percentages are going up, because of better decisions/shot selection/discipline ... which ought to give him more "rope" to improve aspects of his game that he's prepared to work on, I think. And DeMar may feel he needs to maintain the threat of a mid-range shot to complement his drives, fakes and so on.

And it would seem a strong suggestion indeed that a 26-year-old featured scorer ought to simply give up on his 3-point and mid-range game entirely. To strong, for this guy at this point, I would say. Just as assertively.
          DeMar's numbers are going up because he's taking less midrange shots, not because he's getting better at them.

2012-13, 36.5% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 41.4% from that range.
          2013-14, 36.2% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 39.5% from that range.
          2014-15, 33.8% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 35.2% from that range.
          2015-16, 22.7% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 34.3% from that range.

He's not getting better at his midrange game, he's just doing it less.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
            There's a very large sample size (years in fact) with Demar and mid-range shooting and none of it is pretty. And in every possible context, it doesn't look good. It's why him cutting down on them this season looks so much better.
            Trust me, I'll never call DeMar a great midrange shooter.. but he is not bad in the slightest for a guard who's the first option for his team.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
              Trust me, I'll never call DeMar a great midrange shooter.. but he is not bad in the slightest for a guard who's the first option for his team.
              There are 24 guys who play the 1,2 or 3 position averaging 30 minutes per game and 25% usage.

Of these guys, Derrick Rose, Kyle Lowry, Kobe Bryant and Reggie Jackson are the only ones shooting worse than DeMar from 16-23ft. Rose and Bryant are having the worst shooting seasons of their careers, and Lowry and Jackson are both far better 3pt shooters than DeMar.

Comment

• Let's do some career comparisons with other great shooting guards.

(Player: % from 10-16 ft/% from 16- 3pt)

DeMar DeRozan: 40.8%/37.9%

Dwyane Wade: 38.7%/38.9%

Kobe Bryant: 43.8%/40.4%

Allen Iverson: 38.3%/39.7%

Tracy McGrady: 39.3%/41.5%

He's really not that far off.

Comment

I don't understand that article. It says that DeMar has taken 28 bank shots and converted them at a 65% rate(sample size issues IMO), but then further down says that he's made 13 bankers. 13/28 != 65%, it's 46%.
                  Good catch.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    Let's do some career comparisons with other great shooting guards.

(Player: % from 10-16 ft/% from 16- 3pt)

DeMar DeRozan: 40.8%/37.9%

Dwyane Wade: 38.7%/38.9%

Kobe Bryant: 43.8%/40.4%

Allen Iverson: 38.3%/39.7%

Tracy McGrady: 39.3%/41.5%

He's really not that far off.
                    Now let's do that with comparisons at age 26, because a lot of those guys had terrible shooting seasons at the end of their career.

DeMar: 44.0%/34.3%.

Wade: 40.6%/36.8%.

Kobe:36.0%/38.4%.

Iverson:29.9%/39.4%.

McGrady:31.5%/41.3%.

DeMar is clearly pretty good from 10-16ft. All those other guys were better from 16-23ft. Also, the league is moving more towards shooting outside than it was back then.

Career % of shots from 10-16/16-23ft:

DeMar:18.4%/33.0%.

Wade:13.2%/26.2%.

Kobe:17.0%/28.3%.

Iverson:11.7%/17.1%.

McGrady:10.6%/35.0%.

DeMar shoots more from both ranges than any of those guys, except McGrady, who shot above 40% from 16-23ft in all but 5 seasons of his career, 4 of which were his last 4 seasons.

Comment

DeMar's numbers are going up because he's taking less midrange shots, not because he's getting better at them.

2012-13, 36.5% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 41.4% from that range.
                      2013-14, 36.2% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 39.5% from that range.
                      2014-15, 33.8% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 35.2% from that range.
                      2015-16, 22.7% of attempts from 16-23ft, shot 34.3% from that range.

He's not getting better at his midrange game, he's just doing it less.
                      I offered some reasons why we shouldn't expect that he will stop taking those shots entirely - among them that he might now opt for better "looks"/less contested mid-range shots and improve, in time, as he's still quite young and a worker - and might be stuck with such a shot sometimes, too, whether he likes it or not.

If you don't see any sense in this position, then we just disagree. Which is fine ...

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                        I offered some reasons why we shouldn't expect that he will stop taking those shots entirely - among them that he might now opt for better "looks"/less contested mid-range shots and improve, in time, as he's still quite young and a worker - and might be stuck with such a shot sometimes, too, whether he likes it or not.

If you don't see any sense in this position, then we just disagree. Which is fine ...
                        Weirdly, I'd say don't worry about the contested aspect, he should only be shooting in these situations late in the shot clock.

DeMar shoots better contested from >10ft than uncontested.

With 2-4ft of seperation, 40.5%. With 4-6ft of seperation, 38.0%. With 6+ft of seperation, 11.8%.

But none of those percentages work in our favor, we're still better off trying to get a better shot for him or create for someone else with ball movement.

Comment

• http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...yal-To-Raptors

Should the Raps sell Demar while his market value is sky high? Or do we risk losing him to free-agency for nothing (just like Bosh)? Or do we pay him franchise player money?

He's proven to be a great player - he's not on the level of Curry, Lebron, KD, Harden, Westbrook, AD, Boogie, etc. and I highly doubt he'll ever be. But he's below them - along with Lowry. I think he'll either stay with the Raps or he'll be a Laker - Kobe's replacement.

Comment

• 2KJ wrote: View Post
                            http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...yal-To-Raptors

Should the Raps sell Demar while his market value is sky high? Or do we risk losing him to free-agency for nothing (just like Bosh)? Or do we pay him franchise player money?

He's proven to be a great player - he's not on the level of Curry, Lebron, KD, Harden, Westbrook, AD, Boogie, etc. and I highly doubt he'll ever be. But he's below them - along with Lowry. I think he'll either stay with the Raps or he'll be a Laker - Kobe's replacement.
                            Unfortunately his value is not sky high, because he is an expiring. If we were going to trade him, the decision should have been made last summer or even the year before. Trading his bird rights and rental value now might not even net us a late lottery pick.

If Masai does feel strongly that he'll leave, then he should definitely trade him, but I doubt that that is the case.

We're basically gearing up for wait-and-see mode. DeMar's never been a free agent so I suspect he'll at least want to go through the process, but I am confident that Masai will figure out a way to properly navigate the scenarios in the same way he did with Kyle.

Best case scenario is he gets DeMar on board with us trying to snag another big piece while using Bird rights to go over the cap. Unfortunately our options have become much more limited now, since DeMarre is practically immovable. Hopefully Ross can step up so we have some flexibility this summer. If he tanks and we can't move his contract we'll be pretty limited unless that Knicks pick moves back higher.

Comment

• TheScore doing their usually clickbait BS "DeMar DeRozan likely to opt out of contract".... how about explaining WHY he's doing that and not just trying to make it seem like he's on his way out? Reporting is such a sham sometimes.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                                TheScore doing their usually clickbait BS "DeMar DeRozan likely to opt out of contract".... how about explaining WHY he's doing that and not just trying to make it seem like he's on his way out? Reporting is such a sham sometimes.
                                Said it once and will say it a hundred times, best opinions are found here.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X