Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mess wrote: View Post
    I just don't see the point of calling out the stat as flawed like he based the whole article (or even that section) on it. And pointing out that his usage of the term "constant" is incorrect is just annoying (to me anyway). Same with another avg. speed reference. I get that it was mentioned to refute the premise that DD is always running around like a maniac when he is on the court - but that's not what the author was implying. My reaction to comparing player's average speeds is like knowing that Scola can bench the most on the Raps. It's cool but ultimately meaningless.

Ok, so the stat is flawed. Does that change the premise of the article at all? Do the Raps not run DD off a lot of screens (when they're not posting him up)? Is he not effective at gaining the defense's attention and being a greater threat that way?
    Well, if you want to talk about running off screens though, DeMar isn't good in those situations. His eFG% off screens is less than 40%, and he draws fouls less than 7% of the time. It's not an effective use of him as a player. He's simply better with the ball in his hands than off-ball.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I just don't see the point of calling out the stat as flawed like he based the whole article (or even that section) on it. And pointing out that his usage of the term "constant" is incorrect is just annoying (to me anyway). Same with another avg. speed reference. I get that it was mentioned to refute the premise that DD is always running around like a maniac when he is on the court - but that's not what the author was implying. My reaction to comparing player's average speeds is like knowing that Scola can bench the most on the Raps. It's cool but ultimately meaningless.

Ok, so the stat is flawed. Does that change the premise of the article at all? Do the Raps not run DD off a lot of screens (when they're not posting him up)? Is he not effective at gaining the defense's attention and being a greater threat that way?
      I didn't say it invalidates the arguments.

Doesn't make the stat correctly used.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        The stat isn't flawed. Your argument is flawed.

Demar is constantly moving. Demar is 4th in the league in terms of ground covered on offense PER GAME. That is a fact.

Your brilliant idea is to bring in guys who actually cover less ground because they only play 25 mins.

What sense does that make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Did you read the post you quoted? Among players playing 35+ minutes per game, he ranks 12th out of 19.

Comment

++++++++ 1, except:

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Except the article did use the stat properly.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
            Did you read the post you quoted? Among players playing 35+ minutes per game, he ranks 12th out of 19.
            ... in SPEED, which is about as far away from the premise of the article as you could get

Comment

• the statistical illiteracy in this thread is just mindblowing

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                Are you not looking at a different stat? Maybe I missed "offensive speed" in the article...

Comment

Are you not looking at a different stat? Maybe I missed "offensive speed" in the article...

the argument is that using total distance covered, without correcting for minutes played, does NOT imply that derozan is moving on offense any more than a player who plays fewer minutes.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    the statistical illiteracy in this thread is just mindblowing
                    The turning the topic over to statistical accuracy arguments is what's mind blowing

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      the statistical illiteracy in this thread is just mindblowing
                      You must be the smartest person in the world..... You sure act like it. Not sure why you waste your time arguing with us minions.

Comment

You must be the smartest person in the world..... You sure act like it. Not sure why you waste your time arguing with us minions.

lol. not that smart. but smart enough to understand the difference between counting and rate stats and when to use one or the other.

Comment

• Or using area to describe movement without considering time

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

KHD wrote: View Post
                            the argument is that using total distance covered, without correcting for minutes played, does NOT imply that derozan is moving on offense any more than a player who plays fewer minutes.
                            But that's irrelevant.... The stat is not flawed.

The distance is still covered. We're not arguing offensive speed here. He's still 4th in the league in ground covered on offense per game. It's pretty basic. How is that flawed?

The point is that he's constantly moving.

Last edited by special1; Fri Jan 8, 2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

The distance is still covered. We're not arguing offensive speed here. He's still 4th in the league in ground covered on offense per game. It's pretty basic. How is that flawed?

it's flawed when you use it to describe how much a guy is moving when he's playing. unless you make it a rate stat.
                              Because, the article points to the stat, and talks about how demar is in constant motion. That stat does NOT say that. that's all there is to it.

Demar is moving a lot, probably. but thats not the number that shows it.

Comment

The point is that he's constantly moving.

Do you understand how speed is calculated? The basic function of speed is distance travelled/time spent. So speed is absolutely relevant to distance, it's the normalized version of the same stat. This is physics 101.

Comment

Working...
                                X