Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    Just to put this in perspective. DeMar had a nice game last night, possibly the best game of his career, at 38/10/7 on 50% from the field. Basketball Reference's GameScore stat ranks it the 107th best individual performance of the season.

The top 5?

AD's 59/20/4 on 70.6% from the field.
    Curry's 53/4/9 on 63% from the field.
    Lillard's 51/0/7(with 6 steals and no turnovers) on 64.3% from the field.
    Curry's 51/7/8 on 74.1% from the field.
    CP3's 40/8/13 on 65.0% from the field.

Also in the top 10:

8. Lowry's 43/5/9 on 75% from the field.

In fact, Lowry has 3 games this season that rank higher than DeMar's performance last night.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    Stopped reading at "nice game", give credit where credit is due bro. Even if it only ranks 107th by whatever statistics they're using to figure that out, realize that there are 1230 games played in a season or maybe around 900 so far. And about 10 guys that get starters minutes in every game. That means 107th out of 9000. And considering the way Steph Curry is playing, probably like 30-40 of those games belong to just him.

How's that for "perspective". And GameScore is not some end-all be-all statistic. Stop trying to constantly diminish his achievements.
    Last edited by JWash; Sun Mar 13, 2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      Stopped reading at "nice game", give credit where credit is due bro. Even if it only ranks 107th by whatever statistics they're using to figure that out, realize that there are 1230 games played in a season or maybe around 900 so far. And about 10 guys that get starters minutes in every game. That means 107th out of 9000. And considering the way Steph Curry is playing, probably like 30-40 of those games belong to just him.

How's that for "perspective". And GameScore is not some end-all be-all statistic. Stop trying to constantly diminish his achievements.
      I was actually agreeing with a post of yours when I posted it.

It was a great game. He also had a turnover that almost cost us the game at the end. I never said it was a 'end-all be-all' statistic.

The thing is, the post you quoted talked about 'how many guys can put forth the kind of offensive performance'. The answer, apparently, is a reasonable number of guys.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        Thanks for the perspective.

Not sure if this diminishes anything.

Those guys had great/legendary games for sure. This doesn't mean that Demar just had a "nice game" as you say. He had an awesome/great game period.

Basketball References GameScore stat ranking means absolutely NOTHING. Demar isn't a superstar, so throwing out superstars and their numbers don't mean much to me at all.

Here's another perspective....

If JV had 38 pts 10 Rebs and 7 ast, the praise would be endless!!

If TRoss had 38 pts 10 Rebs and 7 ast, people would be saying how TRoss is the future of this team and how much he has grown.

DD had 38 pts 10 rebounds and 7 ast and it was a nice game.

The bias....oh the bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My word choice was poor, DeMar had a great game last night. But it wasn't a 'historically great game'. It was, in historical context, a 'nice game'. He didn't reinvent the game of basketball or propel himself into the stratosphere of guys like Kobe and Jordan last night. He had a very good game.

Comment

• Nobody said it was a historically great game. Hell if anything the positive reaction to the game was pretty moderate. Couple guys just posted his stats and that was about it. What annoyed me and I'm sure others was OSK coming in and saying "meh" like the game didn't matter. It was a huge performance for DeRozan.

And yeah, we all know that 35-10-7 has been done before... many times by other players. LeBron used to average like 30-8-7 every year. The reason why it's great for DeRozan is because he can't do that every game but when he does it's special and bigtime, especially considering that a lot of his baskets came in the 4th quarter/OT and he had some great defensive plays as well while securing a couple key rebounds.

Comment

Nobody said it was a historically great game. Hell if anything the positive reaction to the game was pretty moderate. Couple guys just posted his stats and that was about it. What annoyed me and I'm sure others was OSK coming in and saying "meh" like the game didn't matter. It was a huge performance for DeRozan.

And yeah, we all know that 35-10-7 has been done before... many times by other players. LeBron used to average like 30-8-7 every year. The reason why it's great for DeRozan is because he can't do that every game but when he does it's special and bigtime, especially considering that a lot of his baskets came in the 4th quarter/OT and he had some great defensive plays as well while securing a couple key rebounds.
            I agree that it was a huge performance for DeRozan. I've been saying I want him passing more and playing the two-man game with JV, which he had going tonight and was fantastic.

Comment

• March DeRozan is making December DeRozan look like a scrub.

30.2ppg
              18.0 FGA/13.8 FTA
              5.3rpg
              3.0apg
              62.6 TS%

Only 6 games but holy shit lol

Comment

March DeRozan is making December DeRozan look like a scrub.

30.2ppg
                18.0 FGA/13.8 FTA
                5.3rpg
                3.0apg
                62.6 TS%

Only 6 games but holy shit lol
                Literally was just about to post this lol

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  My word choice was poor, DeMar had a great game last night. But it wasn't a 'historically great game'. It was, in historical context, a 'nice game'. He didn't reinvent the game of basketball or propel himself into the stratosphere of guys like Kobe and Jordan last night. He had a very good game.
                  I don't think anyone was saying it was "historical" though... the only such claim that was made for that was how he and Bosh are the only 2 players in Raptors history to have a 35, 10 and 5 game .. so it kind of IS historical in a way .. for Raptors fans anyway. Not too often in our history have we had the pleasure of watching such a complete game by someone in our own uniform.. so there's that.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    I don't think anyone was saying it was "historical" though... the only such claim that was made for that was how he and Bosh are the only 2 players in Raptors history to have a 35, 10 and 5 game .. so it kind of IS historical in a way .. for Raptors fans anyway.
                    Fair enough.

I was trying to put it into context. Also, as I pointed out, I was agreeing with a point JWash made and providing statistical context. It was a great game.

Comment

• Raptors' history sucks. It is what it is
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                        Raptors' history sucks. It is what it is
                        That doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate when players have historical games for the team.

Warriors history kinda sucked before the last few seasons. They've been around the NBA much longer and had only ever fielded 1 or 2 actual contending teams.

It's about making history not living in the past and being down on the team.

Comment

Warriors history kinda sucked before the last few seasons. They've been around the NBA much longer and had only ever fielded 1 or 2 actual contending teams.
                          They have 3 titles excluding last season

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                            They have 3 titles excluding last season
                            Two of their 4 titles were as the Philadelphia Warriors (beat the Chicago Stags in '47 and the Fort Wayne Pistons in '56).

Only title in Golden State was in '75 over the Bullets.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              Two of their 4 titles were as the Philadelphia Warriors (beat the Chicago Stags in '47 and the Fort Wayne Pistons in '56).

Only title in Golden State was in '75 over the Bullets.
                              Yeah and I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure that since 1995 (not including their last two years of dominance) they were the only team that had less regular season wins than us. I need to search that up again though could be wrong.

Comment

• Who really cares where his game/season/stats rank? What matters is that, for the most part, he's developed, expanded, evolved, improved, changed, refined (there should be an adjective to make the full range of lovers/haters/neutrals happy) his game this season, to the benefit of the Raptors.

The only frustration I have with DeRozan this season, is when he forces his game via hero-ball too much. When he lets the game come to him, and plays a more mature and well-rounded team-first game, he's been fantastic. Thankfully, 'bad DeRozan' has only reared his ugly head a few times this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X