Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Everyone loves a guy who plays hard.
    If you have a presence, and an energy to really force or fuel your teammates to play better, harder on the defensive end, you've got the attributes of a defensive anchor.

    Valanciunas definitely has the ability and will have the ability to be a defensive anchor.

    Comment


    • NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      The dude is automatic from 18 ft and in
      He shoots 44.4% from 10 to 15 feet, and 41.0% from 16 to 23 feet, far from automatic.

      http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?...%20Valanciunas

      DeRozan shoots 36.0% (10-15) and 41.0% (16-23), Gay 45.1% and 41.1% (Memphis data only). Keep in mind a higher proportion of DeRozan's and Gay's shots are contested.

      It will be interesting to see if he can continue to raise these (open shot) percentages and force the defense to guard him more closely. The Raptor wings could certainly benefit from better spacing.

      Comment


      • Hugmenot wrote: View Post
        He shoots 44.4% from 10 to 15 feet, and 41.0% from 16 to 23 feet, far from automatic.

        http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?...%20Valanciunas

        DeRozan shoots 36.0% (10-15) and 41.0% (16-23), Gay 45.1% and 41.1% (Memphis data only). Keep in mind a higher proportion of DeRozan's and Gay's shots are contested.

        It will be interesting to see if he can continue to raise these (open shot) percentages and force the defense to guard him more closely. The Raptor wings could certainly benefit from better spacing.
        Using Hoopsdata.com he is 17th in 10-15 feet and 11th in 16-23 feet among 36 eligible players (C's only, 20+ mins per game).

        He is just 20, I feel good about his prospects but he is not automatic now.

        **Off Topic**

        I found Drummond's stats interesting: 71% at rim, 18% 3-9ft, 0% 10-15ft.

        Comment


        • Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I found Drummond's stats interesting: 71% at rim, 18% 3-9ft, 0% 10-15ft.
          Yet he's 50% from the 3 point line

          Having said that, 73% of his shot attempts are either dunks or layups.

          Comment


          • omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
            +1 for being the first to find and post this

            Comment


            • Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Using Hoopsdata.com he is 17th in 10-15 feet and 11th in 16-23 feet among 36 eligible players (C's only, 20+ mins per game).

              He is just 20, I feel good about his prospects but he is not automatic now.

              **Off Topic**

              I found Drummond's stats interesting: 71% at rim, 18% 3-9ft, 0% 10-15ft.
              Valanciunas percentages will go up as he gets better and down as he gets more closely guarded. Without his and his peer open/contested shot breakdown, I would not put too much emphasis on his ranking within his group.

              Let's hope he gets good enough that he will have to be guarded all the time. The end result will be better percentages shots for the team, which hopefully will translate into wins.

              As to Andre Drummond. he has no range whatsoever and throws air balls from the free throw line on a regular basis. He started the season well (for him) making 28 of his 69 free throw attempts (40.6%) in 2012 before returning to numbers which are consistent with his percentage in college (29.5%). Drummond made 14 of his 46 free throw attempts (30.4%) in 2013.

              I wanted the Raptors to draft him but I am still not sold whether he was worth the risk.

              Comment


              • Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                Valanciunas percentages will go up as he gets better and down as he gets more closely guarded. Without his and his peer open/contested shot breakdown, I would not put too much emphasis on his ranking within his group.

                Let's hope he gets good enough that he will have to be guarded all the time. The end result will be better percentages shots for the team, which hopefully will translate into wins.

                As to Andre Drummond. he has no range whatsoever and throws air balls from the free throw line on a regular basis. He started the season well (for him) making 28 of his 69 free throw attempts (40.6%) in 2012 before returning to numbers which are consistent with his percentage in college (29.5%). Drummond made 14 of his 46 free throw attempts (30.4%) in 2013.

                I wanted the Raptors to draft him but I am still not sold whether he was worth the risk.
                His body was what worried me..... and the free throws lol.

                His knees were my concern but this fall he took and fractured vertebra is scary stuff. I hope it was really just a freak accident and not a sign of things to come for a young man (19) who has been carrying 260+lb for a number of years with very high impact athleticism.

                Comment


                • JV porn:

                  http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ates-and-fans/

                  http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...r_himself.html

                  Comment


                  • Sometimes I forget he's still just 20....that's so young for centres...I'm so damn happy to see him playing some games again. Even with the trade, the most exciting thing for me has been JV. He just oozes potential in all aspects of the game...

                    Comment


                    • omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                      IVE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR THIS!!!!

                      When I saw it live, I fell off my chair laughing. It was such a bad call by the refs. But... "BALL DONT LIE!"
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

                      Comment


                      • some thoughts

                        Since Jonas started this year I have been extremely frustrated with the way Casey utilizes his him. One game 20 minutes, the next 10 minutes, then another at 30 minutes. Sometimes he pulls him with 3 fouls(!), sometimes lets him fouls out.

                        Fast forward post injury, post trade. Casey has given Jonas some good minutes in the past two games, and we've been rewarded with double doubles in both. 2 blocks-per to boot.

                        I'm making this thread because watching Jonas play, you can clearly see the potential he has to unleash. So I decided to look up the actual stats, and compare to him to say ... #1 draft pick and Team USA candidate Anthony Davis?

                        http://bkref.com/tiny/X4wsT

                        Code:
                        Rk	Player			From	To	G	MP	PER	TS%	eFG%	ORB%	DRB%	TRB%	AST%	STL%	BLK%	TOV%	USG%	ORtg	DRtg	OWS	DWS	WS	WS/48
                        1	Anthony Davis		2013	2013	39	1084	20.1	.546	.510	9.5	22.0	15.7	5.4	2.3	5.6	11.3	21.4	108	103	1.5	1.5	3.0	.133
                        2	Jonas Valanciunas	2013	2013	33	708	14.4	.570	.532	10.4	19.2	14.6	7.0	0.7	4.1	16.3	17.0	108	107	0.9	0.6	1.5	.100
                        Davis hasn't had a great year. In my opinion at least. Others would argue hes doing exactly what they expect of him. I think he was over hyped a bit. By the numbers at least, Jonas is as good, if not better than Davis offensively. Defensively, the stats say Jonas has a better overall % rating, but I'm going to go ahead and say Davis is probably better in this department since he's pretty good at steals, and gets a little under 2x blkpg more than jonas.

                        But really. I watch Jonas for those dunks. Give this man his minutes and let the kid dunk the ball. Hell, when you're looking at a starting line up of Lowry - Demar - Gay - Amir - Jonas, you'd think Toronto would get all their points inside the paint?!

                        Comment


                        • He's back on the rookie ladder at 9th place.

                          Comment


                          • Tyson Chandler that dirty punk elbowing our JV I yelled at my tv when that he pulled that shit.... should now better, these guys better enjoy this now cause JV is going to get stronger and push back someday.

                            Comment


                            • jonas V

                              i was thinking this summers why dont we send him to hakeem olajuwon camp
                              i really think he could become the next great center


                              what do you think

                              Comment


                              • whose 'we'?

                                Its as if you are speaking to the board of directors directly LOL
                                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X