No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It really is shocking to read how the reports of Jonas have changed since pre-draft analysis. Very few people were writing about Jonas. Even people such as Draft Express suddenly started writing glowing reviews of Jonas as soon as the draft took place.

Some might say that this changed due to his appearances in the Under18 Worlds and on the Lithuania Men's National Team, but it really does seem that things changed as soon as the draft took place. Suddenly he was being seen as the potential steal of the draft. Suddenly he became the player with the highest ceiling and potential star talent. Suddenly he was the most talked about prospect and someone you could build a team around.

For a draft that was said to not have any star talent, the way analysts are writing about Jonas is incredible. I love how things change with time, and I hope that the positives for Jonas continue to roll in.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      I tell you, the way some are talking, his ceiling could be Sabonis version 2.0.

If he plays like how Marcin Gortat is playing in Phoenix right now I would be very happy.

Comment

• I have extremely high expectations of JV purely for his, as some have already alluded to, "nose for the ball." He seems to find a way to be where the rebounds are bouncing to. His ability to get put-backs and the likelyhood of him being fouled repeatedly (and making good on his foul shooting) suggest to me that he will be able to be a 7 and 7 player for every 20 minutes on the floor in his first year. This might seem a little high , but that is what I think.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          I tell you, the way some are talking, his ceiling could be Sabonis version 2.0.
          Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Do you mean posters here at RR or people working in the basketball media?
          I've been making the comparison since Day 1. I still say its valid.
          I've heard it thrown around a few times since as well in the media.

Not necessarily just in playing style, but in the emotion and aggression with which they play.
          Which was a huge contributing factor to Sabonis success if you ask me.
          He was an ANIMAL out there.

I remember I posted videos of Young Sabonis and JV one after the other, and its uncanny how similar they are; IF Jonas can add the 18 footer, all the better.
          The thing about Sabonis is, he was old, injured and fat when he came over to the NBA; and he was STILL pretty damn good.
          If only he came over 10 years sooner. HOPEFULLY, thats what is happening with us drafting JV.
          Last edited by Joey; Tue Jan 17, 2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            I've been making the comparison since Day 1. I still say its valid.
            I've heard it thrown around a few times since as well in the media.

Not necessarily just in playing style, but in the emotion and aggression with which they play.
            Which was a huge contributing factor to Sabonis success if you ask me.
            He was an ANIMAL out there.

I remember I posted videos of Young Sabonis and JV one after the other, and its uncanny how similar they are; IF Jonas can add the 18 footer, all the better.
            The thing about Sabonis is, he was old, injured and fat when he came over to the NBA; and he was STILL pretty damn good.
            If only he came over 10 years sooner. HOPEFULLY, thats what is happening with us drafting JV.
            I've watched a few of the lithuanian games... JV seems to have a decent jump shot approaching the 10 - 15ft range, he gets it off pretty quick too (unlike Amir's five second special). 18ft as a big makes you a match up nightmare.
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
              It really is shocking to read how the reports of Jonas have changed since pre-draft analysis. Very few people were writing about Jonas. Even people such as Draft Express suddenly started writing glowing reviews of Jonas as soon as the draft took place.

Some might say that this changed due to his appearances in the Under18 Worlds and on the Lithuania Men's National Team, but it really does seem that things changed as soon as the draft took place. Suddenly he was being seen as the potential steal of the draft. Suddenly he became the player with the highest ceiling and potential star talent. Suddenly he was the most talked about prospect and someone you could build a team around.

For a draft that was said to not have any star talent, the way analysts are writing about Jonas is incredible. I love how things change with time, and I hope that the positives for Jonas continue to roll in.
              isn't it more likely that people (like raptor fans) simply started to pay attention more to those reports once he was drafted by the raps? Draft Express, for example, date-stamps their articles, and so you can see that they were writing quite reviews of JV for a some time leading to the draft. i'm sure that the mainstream media has taken notice of him since the draft (no doubt influenced by the U-18), but most of pundits had written about him pre-draft as well.
              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• Oh boy, I don't envy this guy when he plays his first game here. Fans are going to expect a lot...as long as we remember he is still young and give the guy some breathing room he should be ok. But this is Toronto after all...
                Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

• The Fox wrote: View Post
                  Oh boy, I don't envy this guy when he plays his first game here. Fans are going to expect a lot...as long as we remember he is still young and give the guy some breathing room he should be ok. But this is Toronto after all...
                  Just imagine if he takes five years to develop - lol.

Or what about if he starts strong then goes in to a 10 game slump, haha.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I would imagine that most Europeans would have a difficult time in their first couple of years. We all know the struggles Bargnani had in his first year. Even guys like Nowitski struggled early.
                    Jonas's game meshes better with the NBA game (compared to Dirk and Bargs). Jonas isn't a finesse player. He's a legit big man, with legit big man skills. A lot of international post players with his skill-set have had immediate success in their NBA careers, because their game didn't require much adapting (e.g. Yao, Pau & Marc Gasol, Scola, Ilgauskas, Bogut). They can step in and contribute from day-1 since they're already familiar with their roles (defence and rebounding). They're not being asked to re-invent themselves once they land in North America.

It's the finesse international big men that tend to struggle out of the gates (Dirk, Bargs, Splitter, Smits, Okur, etc.).
                    Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Jan 18, 2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                      isn't it more likely that people (like raptor fans) simply started to pay attention more to those reports once he was drafted by the raps? Draft Express, for example, date-stamps their articles, and so you can see that they were writing quite reviews of JV for a some time leading to the draft. i'm sure that the mainstream media has taken notice of him since the draft (no doubt influenced by the U-18), but most of pundits had written about him pre-draft as well.
                      I was thinking the same thing. It's like when you buy a car, and all of a sudden, you start noticing the same car everywhere. Did everyone buy the same car after I did?

In reality, you subconsciously look for it more often...probably because you're excited about your purchase, or feel the need to justify it.

Comment

• The Fox wrote: View Post
                        Oh boy, I don't envy this guy when he plays his first game here. Fans are going to expect a lot...as long as we remember he is still young and give the guy some breathing room he should be ok. But this is Toronto after all...
                        I doubt this will a problem in the early stages because people will really appreciate the (jyd) effort he will likely bring even if his play is subpar.
                        Last edited by Soft Euro; Wed Jan 18, 2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Jonas's game meshes better with the NBA game (compared to Dirk and Bargs). Jonas isn't a finesse player. He's a legit big man, with legit big man skills. A lot of international post players with his skill-set have had immediate success in their NBA careers, because their game didn't require much adapting (e.g. Yao, Pau & Marc Gasol, Scola, Ilgauskas, Bogut). They can step in and contribute from day-1 since they're already familiar with their roles (defence and rebounding). They're not being asked to re-invent themselves once they land in North America.

It's the finesse international big men that tend to struggle out of the gates (Dirk, Bargs, Splitter, Smits, Okur, etc.).
                          agree...JV's an excellent PnR player right now - sets great picks, rolls hard, knows when to set vs slip, has great hands & is a great finisher at the hoop, an excellent FT shooter, and has a nice little mid-range J. the NBA is a PnR league, so in that respect, i don't see him taking too long to adapt.

that being said, he will need time to adapt defensively & to develop his body so he can handle the daily grind, but all in good time.
                          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• Omg soo much potential!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

I was actually thinking more in the line of adapting to the new culture and grind of an 82 game schedule. The language barrier is one thing, but being so far away from him friends and family has got to pay a toll eventually.

He would still need to bang with the big boys. He has a frame that is smaller than Davis' is now. Even Bogut was averaging about 9pts / 7rbs in his first year.

If JV can average around what Bogut averaged in his first year, I'll be very happy.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                If JV can average around what Bogut averaged in his first year, I'll be very happy.
                                Agreed.

As for the culture shock, if Kleiza isn't amnestied, I'm sure he'll help bridge the gap.

Comment

Working...
                                X