No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV will get there.... he needs time. He's a stiff right now however and sometimes he needs pine more than PT.

This isn't complicated.

Where some posters are a bit puzzled is when he IS playing well, has it going early, and he gets yanked and tossed into chill mode for 10-15 minutes. I have no idea why a coach wants to snuff a guy when he is heating up, but if there is a knock I have with casey, its that..... he does it with ross too.... hell he even shat on him for dropping 51

its a bit of a mystery

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
      JV will get there.... he needs time. He's a stiff right now however and sometimes he needs pine more than PT.

This isn't complicated.

Where some posters are a bit puzzled is when he IS playing well, has it going early, and he gets yanked and tossed into chill mode for 10-15 minutes. I have no idea why a coach wants to snuff a guy when he is heating up, but if there is a knock I have with casey, its that..... he does it with ross too.... hell he even shat on him for dropping 51

its a bit of a mystery
      i think the dropping 51 thing was because the team basically stopped playing defense (and maybe ross did too). in an interview he said that night felt more like a pickup game to him and it was just like playing for fun. well it shouldn't. it should feel like a professional matchup because thats what it was.

Comment

• whatever.
        its game, and its fun and he was lighting it up.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I generally agree with the bold. Again, as has been said in some posts over the last few days, it's not the quick hook that's as infuriating as the lack of follow-up minutes. When it's deserved, fine. Though sometimes it's definitely not. But also give the kid the chance to follow up bad stints with good ones. And reward him for good ones. It's good for confidence and developing a comfort zone on the court if a guy knows he'll get at least certain minutes with regularity. It doesn't have to be a lot. Casey benches him for 18 minutes at a time sometimes...At least give the kid 2-4 minutes in the 2nd/4th quarter just to see how he responds, and again, get him used to a rhythm and regular role.

And yeah, I really dislike +/- based stats in basketball.

2 minutes doesn't really give the guy any time to get into the game. Once the 4:30 mark has passed in the second, unless one of the other bigs got in foul trouble then there really is not point to put him back in. I suggested the 7 minute mark but maybe that is a bit much (maybe only if he is playing well with little fouls)....Casey should at least try and get him in before 5 though regardless of how we are playing.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            2 minutes doesn't really give the guy any time to get into the game. Once the 4:30 mark has passed in the second, unless one of the other bigs got in foul trouble then there really is not point to put him back in. I suggested the 7 minute mark but maybe that is a bit much (maybe only if he is playing well with little fouls)....Casey should at least try and get him in before 5 though regardless of how we are playing.
            I mostly meant that if he say, still is very obviously struggling, you don't have to leave him out that long.

Comment

• Today I watched the game with the Phoenix commentators and they mentioned in the third that Jonas must be frustrated. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "Valenciunas is frustrated. Of course he is! He had an impressive first quarter and probably had his mind set on having a great game but he is continuously looked off in the post by his teammates."
              I love watching the Raptors right now, but this is one area we need to improve on. Jonas is not a stiff on offence. He makes his shots at an impressive clip, he works hard to get good post position and he makes good decisions when he gets the ball down low. He doesn't need to be babied, but for the sake of the team he needs more touches.
              Last edited by Garbo; Sun Mar 16, 2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Garbo wrote: View Post
                Today I watched the game with the Phoenix commentators and they mentioned in the third that Jonas must be frustrated. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "Valenciunas is frustrated. Of course he is! He had an impressive first quarter and probably had his mind set on having a great game but he is continuously looked off in the post by his teammates."
                I love watching the Raptors right now, but this is one are we need to improve on. Jonas is not a stiff on offence. He makes his shot at an impressive clip, he works hard to get good post position and he makes good decisions when he gets the ball down low. He doesn't need to be babied, but for the sake of the team he needs more touches.
                Agree with this. I watched DeMar, on three possessions in a row it seemed, drive into the left side of the paint, drawing three defenders to him, leaving JV wide open for a little jumper or easy drive, and then put up a contested shot that missed. Don't know what the kid has to do to get some respect from DeMar, But DD isn't passing to him.

Comment

• Garbo wrote: View Post
                  Today I watched the game with the Phoenix commentators and they mentioned in the third that Jonas must be frustrated. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "Valenciunas is frustrated. Of course he is! He had an impressive first quarter and probably had his mind set on having a great game but he is continuously looked off in the post by his teammates."
                  I love watching the Raptors right now, but this is one area we need to improve on. Jonas is not a stiff on offence. He makes his shots at an impressive clip, he works hard to get good post position and he makes good decisions when he gets the ball down low. He doesn't need to be babied, but for the sake of the team he needs more touches.
                  The number culprit for this is Demar DeRozan! Every game he has multiple chances to pass to JV but fails to do so and looks him off! He's been doing this all year and several of us have noticed this
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• I really just want to know why he gets looked off so many times. Only person that passes to him in those situations is Amir lol
                    OG is our king

Comment

• Kyle has stretches where he regularly looks for him in those situations, but not always.

Comment

• sometimes it's funny how predictable Raptors will be in games, first qtr, feed JV, throw the ball inside, second quarter bench, all the rest of the game Derozan and Lowry try to fill their stat sheet, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, they are the best players in this team, just come on, mix it up at least a lil' bit... It's not even funny anymore how predictable our offense can be.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• It was hard watching JV only get one post up against a Morris twin , not taking an advantage over the size difference is one of the factors deciding we played Phoenix's type of game and didn't force them to adjust and slow down.

Comment

• One thing that Leo said last night was a good thought to hold re: JV.

He's a 21 year old kid who is a starting center on a team that is third in the East and is ranked 12th in the league. That's pretty good. And considering how his minutes are managed, and how often he gets overlooked on offense (see above) he is doing pretty well.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              One thing that Leo said last night was a good thought to hold re: JV.

He's a 21 year old kid who is a starting center on a team that is third in the East and is ranked 12th in the league. That's pretty good. And considering how his minutes are managed, and how often he gets overlooked on offense (see above) he is doing pretty well.
                              It is always bittersweet when Leo makes a good point

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                It is always bittersweet when Leo makes a good point
                                HaHaHaHa. Too true. Even my wife recognizes his bullshit now.

Comment

Working...
                                X