No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case dismissed. He dodged a bullet. I hope he learned from the situation he put himself in.

"We're pleased that the crown reassessed the case and accepted our position," Valanciunas' lawyer, Melanie Webb, told QMI outside the courtroom.
    Valanciunas never made a court appearance through several court dates, and was represented by agents on behalf of lawyer Alan Gold.

http://m.torontosun.com/2014/07/15/r...harges-dropped

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Case dismissed. He dodged a bullet. I hope he learned from the situation he put himself in.

"We're pleased that the crown reassessed the case and accepted our position," Valanciunas' lawyer, Melanie Webb, told QMI outside the courtroom.
      Valanciunas never made a court appearance through several court dates, and was represented by agents on behalf of lawyer Alan Gold.

http://m.torontosun.com/2014/07/15/r...harges-dropped

Yay! Charges dropped = no penalty from NBA! right?

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        Yay! Charges dropped = no penalty from NBA! right?
        Not necessarily

He might be fined but I doubt suspended.

Comment

• I love how in the sportsnet photo he is "driving".
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...to-be-dropped/
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Not necessarily

He might be fined but I doubt suspended.
              How can he be fined for a dismissed charge? Legally he didn't do anything.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                How can he be fined for a dismissed charge? Legally he didn't do anything.
                They just can and often do.

Has to do with embarrassment to the league and hurting image.

Comment

Birdman was accused of child molestation in a cat fishing scam. Charges dismissed. Should he have to pay a fine? Kobe
                  Paying a fine admits guilt. It means the NBA thinks you did something wrong over the court system. It isn't a big deal but a terrible message.

Comment

I can't recall an example. Not saying you are wrong, I just can't think of any. Can you?
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      I can't recall an example. Not saying you are wrong, I just can't think of any. Can you?
                      Assaults like the Sprewell incident. No charges but league suspension and fines. This a reverse situation where the courts made no decision but the League assumed guilt and punished. But off-court incidents where the player is found not-guilty can't be punished. The NBAPA would probably act to protect players rights.

Comment

• On the face of it seems like prosecution would have been a waste of resources all around. A suite opening night for the prosecutor's office may have clinched the deal

The big thing here is that conviction could have jeopardized cross border travel for what was a juvenile mistake.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          There is one just spinning in the darkest recesses of my mind.

I can't remember and no luck with vague Google searches.

I'm going to have to say I'm wrong..... but I know I'm not really - lol - if that makes any sense.

Comment

• Not a league suspension, but a team example:

The Boston Celtics announced Tuesday that they have suspended Jared Sullinger for one game "for his role in an incident that occurred on August 31, 2013." The second-year forward will serve his suspension during the team's 2013-14 regular-season opener against the Toronto Raptors in Canada on Wednesday night.

The "incident" was Sullinger's arrest on charges of assault and battery, malicious destruction of property and witness intimidation stemming from a "domestic situation" with his girlfriend. Sullinger pleaded not guilty to the charges on Sept. 3 and was released on $5,000 bond. The charges were dismissed in Waltham District Court on Monday after Deann Smith said she wouldn't testify against Sullinger, according to David Abel and John R. Ellement of the Boston Globe:
                            Despite the dismissal, the Celtics chose to issue a one-game suspension "because he failed to meet the high expectations we have for all Celtics employees," team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement. The Celtics also said they "will have no further comment on this matter."
                            https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nb...7783--nba.html

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                              On the face of it seems like prosecution would have been a waste of resources all around. A suite opening night for the prosecutor's office may have clinched the deal

The big thing here is that conviction could have jeopardized cross border travel for what was a juvenile mistake.
                              agreed it was juvenile but what made it for me a non issue is the way he handled it so well
                              he wasn't arrested while driving drunk. they went to where he was staying and confronted him where he admitted it to the police. (he could of denied it and said talk to my lawyer )
                              i admire that kind of honesty and after the story got out he did everything to admit his mistake and apologize to the public, instead of hiding behind the organization or lawyers which is why i believe he got off without any punishment and/or outrage from the public

Comment

• Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                                agreed it was juvenile but what made it for me a non issue is the way he handled it so well
                                he wasn't arrested while driving drunk. they went to where he was staying and confronted him where he admitted it to the police. (he could of denied it and said talk to my lawyer )
                                i admire that kind of honesty and after the story got out he did everything to admit his mistake and apologize to the public, instead of hiding behind the organization or lawyers which is why i believe he got off without any punishment and/or outrage from the public
                                I agree. It was a combination of him and the Raptor org. who put out the appropriate press releases to handle the issue. Having spent some time in a Scandinavian country (a couple of years) and though Lithuania is not one the ethos I imagine is similar...not a litigious society and respect for the authorities (police) to do the right thing. So it is not surprising he was open and probably said too much initially. Ironically though drinking and driving in some of those countries gets the book thrown at you. It is a very anti social thing to do and not just an illegal one. Anyhow, glad things worked out. JV is probably going break open a couple tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X