No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “One of the big focuses for us to advance in the playoffs is that he’s got to be the best rim protector — block shots, [legal] vertical [jumps] and being able to get over to that weak side early on any [dribble] penetration,” said Bill Bayno, the Raptors assistant coach who has worked extensively with Valanciunas. “At times he was great at it last year. … But we want it every night, 82 games.”

By “best,” one assumes that Bayno meant he wants Valanciunas to be the best help defender he can be.

“Best in the league,” Bayno clarifies. “We want him to be No. 1 in the NBA. We want that as a goal. Right now, [Pacers centre Roy] Hibbert is the best. We want him chasing Hibbert. If he comes up a little short, hopefully he’s going to be elite, one of the top five in the league.”
    http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...that-as-a-goal

people on realgm are upset about this. Baffling.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...that-as-a-goal

people on realgm are upset about this. Baffling.
      Why would anyone be upset about this? You always want to set the highest goals possible.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Why would anyone be upset about this? You always want to set the highest goals possible.
        Continuing in the Raptors proud tradition of trying to turn players into something they never were instead of refining on what they are.
        Hopefully common sense will return
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Hopefully common sense will return
          There is a reason I left Realgm. Some of the posters on the raptors board are insanely stupid
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Comment

• WTF happened to Jonas last night? The dude was an absolute pylon. Deserved an F- in the quick recap.

It felt like it was just a summer ago that we were projecting him to be a top-5 centre in the near future. Well right now, he looks hard pressed to ever surpass Howard, Cousins, M.Gasol, Drummond, Vucevic, Chandler, Noah, Horford, Jordan, Lopez, Hibbert, etc. Maybe even add Olynyk to that list.

I want to remind myself to be patient, that he's only in his 3rd year. But looking objectively, I see a player whose low-post offensive repertoire is weak, doesn't have good defensive instincts, is slow-footed, not a great leaper, and doesn't have a soft touch around the basket.

There's a part of me that wonders whether he's actually our franchise "anchor" that we once thought. He'll be a serviceable player, no doubt, but a star-in-the-making? Not sure I see it anymore.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                ...I want to remind myself to be patient, that he's only in his 3rd year. But looking objectively, I see a player whose low-post offensive repertoire is weak, doesn't have good defensive instincts, is slow-footed, not a great leaper, and doesn't have a soft touch around the basket. ...
                Last night, all of this applied. Against Washington it was the absolute opposite. I think Val really needs to work on his consistency. He has shown that he could average 13/9 or 15/10 in this league, he just needs to bring it every night.

Comment

• My problem with Val right now is more attitudinal. He needs to be playing at a much higher compete level. On the boards, he needs to be active. And he needs to rip the ball, and hold it strong. Lift the ball over his head (don't bring it down so guards can strip it). Also when making his moves, he needs to tuck the ball right, two handed around his collar bone to avoid strips also. Want to minimize dribbles. Can be done by fighting for better position and by quicker moves with improved footwork.

One thing that is difficult for his growth, is he really doesn't have a big body centre to go up against in practice.

As others have said here, and his teammates, he needs to go straight up more. On his jumper and particularly inside. You're a 7' beast, enough with all the pump fakes.

Otherwise, it's important to have patience. Vucevic is in his 6th year I think. Val in his 3rd. Developing polished bigs takes time. Most important thing right now is improved compete level. Not letting his offence dictate his mood / attitude. If he defends and boards well he will be valuable when he is on the floor, offence gravy.

Lastly he has put on some size. Sometimes it takes time for coordination and fast twitch muscles to catch up to added bulk. Important weights are done right.

Comment

• Every player is subjected to a bad game here and there. Val is still only 22, so he still has time to learn and grow. But for me right now, he seems to be mentally psyching himself out.

Comment

WTF happened to Jonas last night? The dude was an absolute pylon. Deserved an F- in the quick recap.

It felt like it was just a summer ago that we were projecting him to be a top-5 centre in the near future. Well right now, he looks hard pressed to ever surpass Howard, Cousins, M.Gasol, Drummond, Vucevic, Chandler, Noah, Horford, Jordan, Lopez, Hibbert, etc. Maybe even add Olynyk to that list.

I want to remind myself to be patient, that he's only in his 3rd year. But looking objectively, I see a player whose low-post offensive repertoire is weak, doesn't have good defensive instincts, is slow-footed, not a great leaper, and doesn't have a soft touch around the basket.

There's a part of me that wonders whether he's actually our franchise "anchor" that we once thought. He'll be a serviceable player, no doubt, but a star-in-the-making? Not sure I see it anymore.
                      He is injured and his confidence is messed.

He seriously needs to get his head straight.

I'm concerned but not overly because he was looking more fluid just a few games ago.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                        Last night, all of this applied. Against Washington it was the absolute opposite. I think Val really needs to work on his consistency. He has shown that he could average 13/9 or 15/10 in this league, he just needs to bring it every night.
                        That's what separates good players from mediocre ones....consistency.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                          ...Vucevic is in his 6th year I think. Val in his 3rd...
                          Vucevic is in his 4th year.

Comment

That's what separates good players from mediocre ones....consistency.
                            Yessir.

Everyone in the league has talent.

Who brings it every night?

Comment

• Jonas looked distracted. Not sure if it's because of his injury or Wasaga Beach party.. we'll never know. Hoping for 15 & 10 against Pau and Noah.

Comment

Vucevic is in his 4th year.
                                Vucevic is a stud. I thought I heard on raps broadcast 6th year, but perhaps it was 6 yrs since Demar played w him at USC.

Val is unlikely to ever have as much scoring and rebounding talent as vucevic but he could be very effective if he picked up his intensity. We also don't need him to score 18-20 per night for the raps to be successful. But 10 boards would be nice. Easy put backs converted, less bone headed turnovers, less getting frustrated and letting that affect his focus and even effort. All achievable.

Comment

Working...
                                X