Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'm not disagreeing about Hayes' contribution - I believe I named him as one of my 3 stars for that game. I seem to think that towards the end he was subbed out for Patterson, once he ran out of gas. I certainly wasn't implying that JV should have played all of Hayes' minutes. I just mentioned it as a game he could have gotten back into, moreso after/in addition to Hayes, not instead of him.

As for the Phoenix game, I totally get the idea of going small to defend Phoenix's game plan. However, Patterson was useless in this regard, because he was still too slow to defend the smaller guys on the perimeter AND he was awful cleaning up the defensive glass. Hell, I was yelling at my tv to get Fields or even Bruno in the game, to give the Raps another perimeter defender OR bring in JV to at least get rebounds. Patterson wasn't doing either.

I also agree with the sentiment that it is nit-picking. Some posters just observed that JV gets very little 4th quarter playing time and zero crunch-time minutes, while expressing a hope that this changes, because he's a much improved player and hardly the defensive liability that he used to be. Suddenly, those posters are attacked and painted with the 'fire DC' and 'JV's development is more important than the team and/or wins' brush, when that was never the case.
    "Suddenly, those posters are attacked and painted with the 'fire DC' and 'JV's development is more important than the team and/or wins' brush, when that was never the case."

I don't see any posters getting attacked at all. I know you don't speak for everyone who's concerned for JV's minutes......But to say that EVERYONE who has concern is painted with the fire DC/Coddle JV brush is simply not true and not what i've seen in this thread.

The truth is there are many posters in the "JV needs more 4th Q PT camp" who have said some pretty nasty stuff about Dwane Casey. It's almost like they truly believe he's incompetent and has somehow led this team to a 13-2 record by luck. They honestly feel that they know more than he does when it comes to JV. Keep in mind some of these same posters have been screaming this for years now and even after he led the team to a 48-34 franchise record in wins, still wanted him gone.

What you're probably seeing is a backlash from some fans who think that while JV is important to this team and the future.....he's not above anyone else on the team. He's not an all-star YET and doesn't deserve any special treatment than the other guys. Simple as that (at least for me). Therefore, the minutes he gets, are the minutes he deserves (due to what he's earned or simply due to match-ups). Despite all the complaining about the way he's being handled, the fact remains that he's 5th in minutes per game (behind the other 4 starters) and he's 22 years old. Also, he's the starter on a 13-2 team 15 games in. I'm encouraged that you also believe that it is nit-picking.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I'm not disagreeing about Hayes' contribution - I believe I named him as one of my 3 stars for that game. I seem to think that towards the end he was subbed out for Patterson, once he ran out of gas. I certainly wasn't implying that JV should have played all of Hayes' minutes. I just mentioned it as a game he could have gotten back into, moreso after/in addition to Hayes, not instead of him.

As for the Phoenix game, I totally get the idea of going small to defend Phoenix's game plan. However, Patterson was useless in this regard, because he was still too slow to defend the smaller guys on the perimeter AND he was awful cleaning up the defensive glass. Hell, I was yelling at my tv to get Fields or even Bruno in the game, to give the Raps another perimeter defender OR bring in JV to at least get rebounds. Patterson wasn't doing either.

I also agree with the sentiment that it is nit-picking. Some posters just observed that JV gets very little 4th quarter playing time and zero crunch-time minutes, while expressing a hope that this changes, because he's a much improved player and hardly the defensive liability that he used to be. Suddenly, those posters are attacked and painted with the 'fire DC' and 'JV's development is more important than the team and/or wins' brush, when that was never the case.
      "I seem to think that towards the end he was subbed out for Patterson, once he ran out of gas"
      Not true

"I just mentioned it as a game he could have gotten back into, moreso after/in addition to Hayes, not instead of him."
      To replace Amir?

"Patterson was useless in this regard, because he was still too slow to defend the smaller guys on the perimeter AND he was awful cleaning up the defensive glass................... to give the Raps another perimeter defender OR bring in JV to at least get rebounds. Patterson wasn't doing either."
      Wrong on both accounts down the stretch.

"Suddenly, those posters are attacked and painted with the 'fire DC' and 'JV's development is more important than the team and/or wins' brush, when that was never the case. "

When constant criticism is often as slanted as the two game examples you defined, what are people to think? The team is 13-2, and "JV is being slighted" is the big concern, and anybody trying to suggest otherwise runs up against one brick wall after another, often with a foundation of perception over reality.

Comment

• In the world of infinite hypotheticals that we live in, isn't it possible that the Raptors could be 13-2 with Jonas playing a prominent role closing out games?

If the answer is yes, I'm assuming this is what CRF (and others) would like to discuss.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          In the world of infinite hypotheticals that we live in, isn't it possible that the Raptors could be 13-2 with Jonas playing a prominent role closing out games?

If the answer is yes, I'm assuming this is what CRF (and others) would like to discuss.
          If only that was an actual reflection of the discussion.

Comment

• I really liked what Casey did with Jonas tonight; he was struggling and getting frustrated after being blocked twice. Casey gives him the quick hook, sits him for 3 minutes, puts him back in knowing that that Chandler will need to sit near the end of the third. Sure enough, when Chandler sits with 3 minutes left in the third, JV gets it rolling against Nowitzki and Wright, racking up the rebounds, scores all 8 of his points, and draws a couple fouls. To me, that's Casey making a good move that gave JV an opportunity to be successful in this game. Downside is that JV had played 14 of the first 17 minutes of the second half. I would have liked to have seen JV getting in late in the game, but the Amir, Patterson combo was very effective late so it would have been a questionable coaching decision to break that up.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
              I really liked what Casey did with Jonas tonight; he was struggling and getting frustrated after being blocked twice. Casey gives him the quick hook, sits him for 3 minutes, puts him back in knowing that that Chandler will need to sit near the end of the third. Sure enough, when Chandler sits with 3 minutes left in the third, JV gets it rolling against Nowitzki and Wright, racking up the rebounds, scores all 8 of his points, and draws a couple fouls. To me, that's Casey making a good move that gave JV an opportunity to be successful in this game. Downside is that JV had played 14 of the first 17 minutes of the second half. I would have liked to have seen JV getting in late in the game, but the Amir, Patterson combo was very effective late so it would have been a questionable coaching decision to break that up.
              Completely agree. Getting Jonas minutes against bench units is great for both him and the bench.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Would you play Jonas 12 minutes straight in the first half? I really don't like that Casey is playing Jonas 12 minutes in the first Q. Maybe it's for the better, but Jonas looks like a fucking robot EVERY TIME after playing straight 12 minutes.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Drummond getting his poop together. Pistons still suck but they sucked before too. SVG is like the Marines, tears you down to build you back up!

66% FG
                  22pts
                  14rebs

over last 3
                  Thought I would throw this over here.

This is why you give a potentially dominant Center reps, because if he can give you numbers like that your team becomes unstoppable in the playoffs.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    Thought I would throw this over here.

This is why you give a potentially dominant Center reps, because if he can give you numbers like that your team becomes unstoppable in the playoffs.

JV looked like beast against Bucks as well. All I see is alley oops, o-rebs and dump offs. One post up.
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• ^ and why don't we throw some PnR oops to JV? He may not throw it down like Drummond but I'm pretty sure he would be pretty damn effective. But no, lets just have him stand on the low block on nearly every possession and play 2 on 5 offense...cause that's gonna work well in the playoffs.

Also you see that post up? It was better executed than many of JV's moves (though we have seen better out of jv for a while now), and Drummond couldn't do that a year ago, but he looked comfortable because he is getting some reps in games.

Comment

• Sure give him some easy points. But that wouldn't be JV being dominant.

Comment

• The reason why JV (and Ross) often get benched in the fourth is because they are terrible at defending the screen and roll. Opponents know this is a weakness and exploit continuously whenever JV is on the court. It's obvious that opposing coaches have keyed in on it.

Demar stays on the court in the fourth because he draws more fouls and gets to the line at an elite level. Also, his backups are Lou Williams, who is undersized against most SG, and GV, an even worse defender.

Sometimes I wonder if the biggest complainers on the board even watch the games or secretly are anti-fans that want the team to lose.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                            The reason why JV (and Ross) often get benched in the fourth is because they are terrible at defending the screen and roll. Opponents know this is a weakness and exploit continuously whenever JV is on the court. It's obvious that opposing coaches have keyed in on it.

Demar stays on the court in the fourth because he draws more fouls and gets to the line at an elite level.
                            So DD is allowed to play bad D but stay on the court because we use him offensively.

Why don't we use JV offensively and negate the losses that he poses guarding the PnR (unless a PHX situation arises obviously)?

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                              The reason why JV (and Ross) often get benched in the fourth is because they are terrible at defending the screen and roll. Opponents know this is a weakness and exploit continuously whenever JV is on the court. It's obvious that opposing coaches have keyed in on it.

Demar stays on the court in the fourth because he draws more fouls and gets to the line at an elite level. Also, his backups are Lou Williams, who is undersized against most SG, and GV, an even worse defender.

Sometimes I wonder if the biggest complainers on the board even watch the games or secretly are anti-fans that want the team to lose.
                              Lou plays a lot in the fourth quarter?

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                So DD is allowed to play bad D but stay on the court because we use him offensively.

Why don't we use JV offensively and negate the losses that he poses guarding the PnR (unless a PHX situation arises obviously)?
                                Why doesn't JV play like Lowry. Lowry can have a shitty shooting night and he'll be MVP of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X