Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    The reason why JV (and Ross) often get benched in the fourth is because they are terrible at defending the screen and roll. Opponents know this is a weakness and exploit continuously whenever JV is on the court. It's obvious that opposing coaches have keyed in on it.

Demar stays on the court in the fourth because he draws more fouls and gets to the line at an elite level. Also, his backups are Lou Williams, who is undersized against most SG, and GV, an even worse defender.

Sometimes I wonder if the biggest complainers on the board even watch the games or secretly are anti-fans that want the team to lose.
    Jonas has a free throw rate of .596 - elite. DD has a free throw rate of .479 - very good.

If free throws are reason enough to keep DD on, they sure are reason enough to keep Jonas on.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Jonas has a free throw rate of .596 - elite. DD has a free throw rate of .479 - very good.

If free throws are reason enough to keep DD on, they sure are reason enough to keep Jonas on.
      These numbers tell you that Jonas is better at drawing fouls than DeMar in crunch time of games? C'mon man.

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
        These numbers tell you that Jonas is better at drawing fouls than DeMar in crunch time of games? C'mon man.
        Well, how can we know when the coach doesn't give Jonas any crunch time minutes? How can Casey know otherwise?

All it tells us is that in the minutes he plays, Jonas is even more effective than DD at drawing fouls.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Well, how can we know when the coach doesn't give Jonas any crunch time minutes? How can Casey know otherwise?

All it tells us is that in the minutes he plays, Jonas is even more effective than DD at drawing fouls.
          Actually it tells you that Jonas doesn't get much of a chance to put up shots that aren't right around the basket.

Comment

• NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
            Actually it tells you that Jonas doesn't get much of a chance to put up shots that aren't right around the basket.
            That is your interpretation.

The meaning is actually what DanH wrote.

Comment

Is it even possible to construe that as a negative thing?
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes, yes it is.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                  Yes, yes it is.
                  I'd love to hear it.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Leo is the biggest JV fan lmao
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I'm not making it negative...

I don't think Jonas is better than DeRozan at drawing fouls. I think Jonas doesn't take as many bad/high difficulty mid-range shots, so the percentage of his FGAs that lead to fouls is higher.

Comment

I'm not making it negative...

I don't think Jonas is better than DeRozan at drawing fouls. I think Jonas doesn't take as many bad/high difficulty mid-range shots, so the percentage of his FGAs that lead to fouls is higher.
                        This is indeed a big part of it. But he also has a much higher free throw rate than the other bigs, so a lot of it is just that he is very good at drawing fouls.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• JV's been good at drawing fouls with the touches that he's given... which haven't been very many. Hopefully with increased usage he can continue to draw fouls at a high rate.
                          OG is our king

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
                            DanH wrote: View Post

Oh, this abuse of stats without context. *sigh*

That stat does not correlate to being more effective at drawing fouls, else you're saying JV is more effective at drawing fouls than not only DD, but Harden, LBJ, Duncan, Cousins, Gasol & Gasol, Westbrook, Lawson, Love, Lowry, Rose, Manu, Pierce, AD, Bosh, Kobe, Wall, Z-Bo, Wade, Lillard, Curry, Aldridge, CP, Dirk, and the list goes on and on.

But that stat, if used to correlate "effectiveness at drawing fouls", says we should have Psycho T on during crunch time, way ahead of JV. Also would say the following are "more effective" than JV, to say nothing of DD, Harden, etc.: Rudy Gobert, Biyombo, Reggie Evans, Mason Plumlee, Chris Anderson, etc.

Now, context within the NBA game:

There's are reasons why bigs are fouled so often, and it's not just because of poor FT%. JV is great as a C with his FT%, but a lot of bigs fouls occur AUTOMATICALLY, by every team, when a big has the ball 0-3 ft from the basket. Any time during a game, a team would rather take their chances with 2 FTs, than a gimme dunk. Many of those FTs that are included in this FTr stat aren't because of being good at drawing fouls. It's because of being a 7 footer with the ball under the basket. No skill involved at all.

The thing is, defenses change in crunch time (close game, less than 5 minutes to go), and they do everything possible to prevent bigs getting the ball in close, from fronting the big, to cutting of passing lanes with more intensity, etc.. There's plenty of reason why every team, including the Spurs btw, take mostly jump shots during crunch time. Defenses force that. They also try everything possible, during crunch time, to NOT foul those jump shooters, and is why guards like DD, Harden, Lowry, etc. are so relied upon during crunch time. Because despite all the efforts by teams to avoid fouling, they still draw fouls consistently. That's a very different context than JV drawing automatic fouls in the 1st-3rd qtrs.

PS. Hope we don't have to go around and around with thia again, but it's not a case of "Casey not GIVING crunch time minutes to JV", but a case of he either hasn't earned them, or is a bad fit for the lineup they're facing.
                            Last edited by chico; Sun Nov 30, 2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• A) No one would ever say we should have Hansbrough on in crunch time.

B) I never said drawing fouls was reason enough to be on in crunch time. I said IF DD was kept on for that reason, so should JV. And until he gets chances in crunch time, we won't know whether he can draw fouls. And the value of having a C that defences are going out of their way to deny the ball in crunch time is also kind of really huge, opening up the floor for other players.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

This is indeed a big part of it. But he also has a much higher free throw rate than the other bigs, so a lot of it is just that he is very good at drawing fouls.
                                I'm not saying that Jonas isn't good at drawing fouls... I just think DeRozan is better at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X