Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
    I'm not saying that Jonas isn't good at drawing fouls... I just think DeRozan is better at it.
    I know you do. I just see no evidence of it.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post
      I know you do. I just see no evidence of it.
      Let me get this straight ... Demar was #1 in the playoffs last year at FTA per game and you see no evidence of it? Top 10 in the entire NBA last year In FTA per game and you still see no evidence? LMAO

      Fair enough. Some people just miss the "evidence" I guess...OR maybe they're just looking in the wrong areas. A classic example of people using (useless) stats to fit the narrative.

      Comment


      • special1 wrote: View Post
        Let me get this straight ... Demar was #1 in the playoffs last year at FTA per game and you see no evidence of it? Top 10 in the entire NBA last year In FTA per game and you still see no evidence? LMAO

        Fair enough. Some people just miss the "evidence" I guess...OR maybe they're just looking in the wrong areas. A classic example of people using (useless) stats to fit the narrative.
        Yeah I'd say DD draws fouls better than Jonas as of right now, But I think what DanH is trying to say is you dont know if Jonas could potentially surpass DD in getting to the line. But as of today DD is better.
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

        Comment


        • Easily give up fouls from the SG/SF for fouls from the C. Rather get bigs in foul trouble then guards and forwards.

          Comment


          • special1 wrote: View Post
            Let me get this straight ... Demar was #1 in the playoffs last year at FTA per game and you see no evidence of it? Top 10 in the entire NBA last year In FTA per game and you still see no evidence? LMAO

            Fair enough. Some people just miss the "evidence" I guess...OR maybe they're just looking in the wrong areas. A classic example of people using (useless) stats to fit the narrative.
            Uh, DD is very good at drawing fouls. Did I say otherwise anywhere?

            But so is Jonas, and the reason he draws less fouls is a) he plays less minutes and b) has the ball way less.

            The evidence in terms of free throws drawn per possession used suggest they are similar in terms of their ability.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post
              Uh, DD is very good at drawing fouls. Did I say otherwise anywhere?

              But so is Jonas, and the reason he draws less fouls is a) he plays less minutes and b) has the ball way less.

              The evidence in terms of free throws drawn per possession used suggest they are similar in terms of their ability.
              If you have a big drawing fouls, that's better than the SG. If Tyson Chandler was in foul trouble the Mavs game ends better.

              Comment


              • DanH wrote: View Post
                Uh, DD is very good at drawing fouls. Did I say otherwise anywhere?

                But so is Jonas, and the reason he draws less fouls is a) he plays less minutes and b) has the ball way less.

                The evidence in terms of free throws drawn per possession used suggest they are similar in terms of their ability.
                The argument could be made though that the fouls are drawn largely due to circumstance. If we assume that most of JV's usage comes on put-backs and extra passes in the key.

                JV can't generate those situations consistently at a higher frequency than he has been.

                We can't expect that JV's foul drawing will translate if we start using him differently, which is the assumption without DD.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

                -Superjudge, 7/23

                Hope you're wrong.

                Comment


                • stooley wrote: View Post
                  The argument could be made though that the fouls are drawn largely due to circumstance. If we assume that most of JV's usage comes on put-backs and extra passes in the key.

                  JV can't generate those situations consistently at a higher frequency than he has been.

                  We can't expect that JV's foul drawing will translate if we start using him differently, which is the assumption without DD.
                  We can't assume that. We can try it though. And I'm pretty confident he stands the best chance on the entire team of replicating DD's foul drawing proficiency.

                  I think the situational argument is being oversold. When JV gets post chances, he very often draws a foul.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • DanH wrote: View Post
                    We can't assume that. We can try it though. And I'm pretty confident he stands the best chance on the entire team of replicating DD's foul drawing proficiency.

                    I think the situational argument is being oversold. When JV gets post chances, he very often draws a foul.
                    Yeah, I'm more than willing to try it.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

                    -Superjudge, 7/23

                    Hope you're wrong.

                    Comment


                    • Jonas looked visibly gassed at the end of the game to me.

                      There was one fast break that I felt like he could have at least slowed down if he hadn't loped back so casually, just to watch Kobe take Ross to the rim.
                      Last edited by stooley; Mon Dec 1st, 2014, 10:43 AM.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

                      -Superjudge, 7/23

                      Hope you're wrong.

                      Comment


                      • The easiest way to end the speculation and discussion would be to play JV in the 4th and then see what happens.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                        If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                        Comment


                        • special1 wrote: View Post
                          Let me get this straight ... Demar was #1 in the playoffs last year at FTA per game and you see no evidence of it? Top 10 in the entire NBA last year In FTA per game and you still see no evidence? LMAO

                          Fair enough. Some people just miss the "evidence" I guess...OR maybe they're just looking in the wrong areas. A classic example of people using (useless) stats to fit the narrative.
                          MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          Yeah I'd say DD draws fouls better than Jonas as of right now, But I think what DanH is trying to say is you dont know if Jonas could potentially surpass DD in getting to the line. But as of today DD is better.
                          My interpretation of DanH's analysis is that it could be hugely beneficial for the Raptors to be able to throw out 2 players in crunch-time (one down low and one on the perimeter) who are both highly effective at drawing fouls, while also converting their free-throws at a high rate.

                          How could that ever be a negative thing?



                          I hate how this forum has devolved to the point that any compliment of JV is automatically taken to be a shot against DD, and vice-versa. People on both sides just need to stop being so damn defensive, especially since there is no need for a 'DD vs JV' scenario on this team.

                          Comment


                          • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            My interpretation of DanH's analysis is that it could be hugely beneficial for the Raptors to be able to throw out 2 players in crunch-time (one down low and one on the perimeter) who are both highly effective at drawing fouls, while also converting their free-throws at a high rate.

                            How could that ever be a negative thing?



                            I hate how this forum has devolved to the point that any compliment of JV is automatically taken to be a shot against DD, and vice-versa. People on both sides just need to stop being so damn defensive, especially since there is no need for a 'DD vs JV' scenario on this team.
                            I wasn't trying to turn it into a JV vs. DD thing.

                            I actually think JV might be a more effective crunch time player, not because of his ability to draw fouls (although he is good at it), but just based off the fact that most of his offense comes around the rim and not every team has a big C to matchup with him.

                            All I was saying is I think DD is better at drawing fouls.

                            The problem on this forum is that if you support DeRozan, you're viewed as someone who doesn't really cheer for the Raptors and doesn't like the other players on the team. And nothing highlights that better than the District of DeRozan nonsense from a little while back. I support DeRozan, but my first priority is the Raptors winning games. If that means we need to go to Val or Lowry or Ross or whoever more often in the clutch then that's what I want for the team.

                            This narrative that being a DeRozan fan and Raptors fan are mutually exclusive is unfair and it is DIVIDING this forum. I AM A TORONTO RAPTORS FAN, just like any of the other posters on here who like DeRozan. If DeMar got traded I would still be here. I was a Raptors fan before we drafted him and I'll be a Raptors fan after he's gone!
                            Last edited by NaijaBoy17; Mon Dec 1st, 2014, 10:20 AM.

                            Comment


                            • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              My interpretation of DanH's analysis is that it could be hugely beneficial for the Raptors to be able to throw out 2 players in crunch-time (one down low and one on the perimeter) who are both highly effective at drawing fouls, while also converting their free-throws at a high rate.

                              How could that ever be a negative thing?



                              I hate how this forum has devolved to the point that any compliment of JV is automatically taken to be a shot against DD, and vice-versa. People on both sides just need to stop being so damn defensive, especially since there is no need for a 'DD vs JV' scenario on this team.
                              Really?? I think it would be hugely beneficial as well! Except JV is the one who lacks the "evidence." Maybe compare him to Hansborough's ability (who's better than JV at drawing fouls by the way).

                              I don't think its about complimenting JV (I love the kid).....It's the ridiculousness of the debate. Why even compare the two when we know that Demar's a top 10 player at drawing fouls and JV's still worried about staying on the floor? The same poster who was raving about JV's ability to draw fouls (he used the word ELITE).....also said he saw no evidence of Derozan being better at it....said he was "good." LOL

                              Honestly, its very hard to take someone seriously when they write stuff like that. Not sure how you can even mention Demar and JV in the same sentence when comparing their ability to draw fouls. Only JV fans think there's a "JV vs DD" scenario.....the rest of us know who's the leader/co-leader and all-star on this team. We know who the other team game plans for. We're not delusional....

                              Comment


                              • With Boogie Cousins coming up, the MVP play of Anthony Davis, and Drummond finally playing for a good coach...is C the position of the next generation of superstars? So important to develop Jonas.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X