Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    Not sure if I'm reading this right: Are you suggesting JV is as talented as Marc Gasol or ZBo offensively? Those guys have been in the league for a long time, and entered the league with a broader repertoire of moves.

    Here's an nice article by Zach Lowe on the up and coming big men in the league. No mention of JV (Blasphemy) but it highlights some of the challenges big men are facing these days.

    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...new-era-skill/

    The truth is, it's not just guys like JV that aren't getting low post touches. Traditional low post play is declining across the entire league. Not having illegal defences makes it very easy for a team to pack the paint, or have a second or third defender swipe at the ball and still recover to guard their man. Truth is you can see a lot of similarities between how the Raptors use JV and how Adams, Gobert and Len are used on their respective teams (although they could still be using JV better).

    Zach's argument is that there's still a place for big men, but they need to be much more skilled than they were in the past. Hopefully with enough work JV can get there.
    With Okafor, Town incoming and Randle and Embid the low post big is going to be a factor in the future. Guys like Bargs, Howard and LMA altered high draft bigs and for a few years. DMC and Vuc are also starting to effect things.

    Comment


    • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure if it's a lack of confidence. To me it's always looked like there's a little voice in his head telling him not to settle for jumpers, so he hesitates far too often. I mean it very well could be a lack of confidence, but we've seen him take and make jumpers confidently...
      Yeah, definitely could be.

      He's trying to learn so much, and he's still so young, you can definitely see him thinking/overthinking. Only experience is gonna bring the fluidity he needs.

      Re: his foot speed - recently an away broadcaster joked about him being "slow of foot," which is true. JV is a big C, and he won't be as mobile as Tyson Chandler or Anthony Davis. That's fine. Personally I think the pick and roll game he showed when he started out (which the Raps don't use anymore) will be replaced by more of a back-to-the-basket post game. Maybe that's why the coaching staff isn't worried about him finishing PnR plays anymore.

      Also none of the current guards are as good as Jose was at hitting the bigs rolling to the basket.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

      Comment


      • S.R. wrote: View Post
        Yeah, definitely could be.

        He's trying to learn so much, and he's still so young, you can definitely see him thinking/overthinking. Only experience is gonna bring the fluidity he needs.

        Re: his foot speed - recently an away broadcaster joked about him being "slow of foot," which is true. JV is a big C, and he won't be as mobile as Tyson Chandler or Anthony Davis. That's fine. Personally I think the pick and roll game he showed when he started out (which the Raps don't use anymore) will be replaced by more of a back-to-the-basket post game. Maybe that's why the coaching staff isn't worried about him finishing PnR plays anymore.

        Also none of the current guards are as good as Jose was at hitting the bigs rolling to the basket.
        JV ain't fast but it always seems weird that Casey keeps telling guys to push the ball then has no other plan once they're across half. It's like he want to set up before JV can get positioned. Calderon was good at hitting bigs because everybody fell asleep as he dribbled in circles.

        Comment


        • Fully expecting Ppat to move into the starting lineup in place of Jonas after all star break.
          "Stay steamy"

          - Kobe

          Comment


          • hotfuzz wrote: View Post
            Fully expecting Ppat to move into the starting lineup in place of Jonas after all star break.
            lol.

            not even Casey is that stupid.

            Comment


            • Hey, Jonas played at the most crucial defensive moment of a game #progress lol

              Comment


              • And he made the play

                Comment


                • Yeah, great job challenging with length, and most importantly not fouling. Little strange he sat so long this game, but meh. Break time - we'll see how he looks after the break, last year he got a lot more minutes down the home stretch.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • Is it me or is Big Val terrible at recovering the tip-off? I'm a big fan of the guy but i notice he frequently loses it.

                    Comment


                    • Hurricane_Herm wrote: View Post
                      Is it me or is Big Val terrible at recovering the tip-off? I'm a big fan of the guy but i notice he frequently loses it.
                      He doesn't win more than one in five it seems, if that many. He doesn't have great hops and his timing is off in those circumstances when he seems to have a chance.

                      Comment


                      • Anyone read that Leo Rautins interview on Jonas? He's basically saying that it's Jonas' own fault he's not playing in the 4th. In other words, he's averaging 28 mpg, but still hasn't earned coach's trust. Therefore, he must be doing something wrong.

                        He also implied that it's Jonas' fault that his teammates don't pass him the ball, because he's not demanding enough.

                        Are there any merits to these claims, or is this a classic case of victim-blaming?

                        http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...h-quarter-run/
                        Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Feb 12th, 2015, 09:39 AM. Reason: Added link.

                        Comment


                        • Simple solution: Trade Hayes & AJ to HOU for Monteijunas.



                          Guaranteed JV goes buck for 20+,10+,5+. It's what we've been waiting for. Mr. Ujiri ... engage!

                          Comment


                          • Jrice9 wrote: View Post
                            Hey, Jonas played at the most crucial defensive moment of a game #progress lol
                            Hahaha he looked shocked. I'm pretty sure he didn't even know who he was supposed to be guarding.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

                            Comment


                            • godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
                              Simple solution: Trade Hayes & AJ to HOU for Monteijunas.

                              Guaranteed JV goes buck for 20+,10+,5+. It's what we've been waiting for. Mr. Ujiri ... engage!
                              Now we just need to convince Morey to make such a 1-sided trade
                              Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Feb 12th, 2015, 09:07 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Now we just need to convince Morey why to make such a 1-sided trade
                                Get Gnarles to mediate it. You know he & Morey have history.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X