Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I also prefer getting the ball first in the 2nd half. I wonder if stats exist for scoring % for the game's first possession?
    Stats exist but they're meaningless.

    Edit: Read a JV stat today. He leads the league in keeping the shots he blocks live. 70% vs league average 56%.
    Last edited by 3inthekeon; Thu Feb 12, 2015, 06:59 PM.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

    Comment


    • RE Leo's sudden mini-retraction about JV....which is what I think this is since for about week previously it seemed like he was firmly in the camp of "JV is not being used properly/not playing enuff in the 4th/not being given the ball". It looks to me that Casey took him to the broom closet and demanded what the fuck he was up to.

      That said, and to his latest analysis that JV does not demand the ball enough...does anyone know about the game's nuances in Europe. Is it possible that JV may not have grown up with this demand technique which could be in contravention of the coach's basic game plan. From what I have read, discipline and coach's prerogative as well as team/seniority pecking order are still "the way". This demand thing could be blasphemous to him just as he cant shake that fake j try before whatever.

      Comment


      • Bendit wrote: View Post
        RE Leo's sudden mini-retraction about JV....which is what I think this is since for about week previously it seemed like he was firmly in the camp of "JV is not being used properly/not playing enuff in the 4th/not being given the ball". It looks to me that Casey took him to the broom closet and demanded what the fuck he was up to.

        That said, and to his latest analysis that JV does not demand the ball enough...does anyone know about the game's nuances in Europe. Is it possible that JV may not have grown up with this demand technique which could be in contravention of the coach's basic game plan. From what I have read, discipline and coach's prerogative as well as team/seniority pecking order are still "the way". This demand thing could be blasphemous to him just as he cant shake that fake j try before whatever.
        I don't think it has as much to do with Europe vs. NBA as it simply has to do with age/seniority dynamics. It's really difficult for a young player to demand touches from his veteran teammates who are above him on the pecking order.

        Comment


        • Jv at 22, puts up better numbers in less minutes than Marc gasol at 24

          Comment


          • draps wrote: View Post
            Jv at 22, puts up better numbers in less minutes than Marc gasol at 24
            gasol at 24 was also his rookie year. not only that, he was drafted 48th. JV was drafted 5th. huge difference in expectations. gasol also ended up becoming an all-star in his 4th nba year. do you think JV will get to be that next year?

            Comment


            • This 'demand' the ball thing is f***ing ridiculous. I've seen him stand in the post with hands up and outstretched asking for the ball LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF TIMES IN HIS CAREER ALREADY. You can only do this so much before it starts getting too awkward for everyone involved. We have smalls who don't like to make passes into the post - not to JV, not to Amir, not to Hands, not to anyone. That's the beginning and end of the story.
              Last edited by JimiCliff; Thu Feb 12, 2015, 08:36 PM.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

              Comment


              • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                This 'demand' the ball thing is f***ing ridiculous. I've seen him stand in the post with hands up and outstretched asking for the ball LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF TIMES IN HIS CAREER ALREADY. You can only do this so much before it starts getting too awkward for everyone involved. We have smalls who don't like to make passes into the post - not to JV, not to Amir, not to Hands, not to anyone. That's the beginning and end of the story.
                wanted to write the same thing today, but thought, whatever, was afraid to start another opinion battle.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

                Comment


                • iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  gasol at 24 was also his rookie year. not only that, he was drafted 48th. JV was drafted 5th. huge difference in expectations. gasol also ended up becoming an all-star in his 4th nba year. do you think JV will get to be that next year?
                  Actually I think there's a good chance given playing time.

                  Comment


                  • iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    gasol at 24 was also his rookie year. not only that, he was drafted 48th. JV was drafted 5th. huge difference in expectations. gasol also ended up becoming an all-star in his 4th nba year. do you think JV will get to be that next year?
                    None of that actually matters. The only important thing is that jv at 24 will be way ahead of a guy that we would all be very happy with, and at 28 should have more than the one gasol did

                    Comment


                    • draps wrote: View Post
                      None of that actually matters. The only important thing is that jv at 24 will be way ahead of a guy that we would all be very happy with, and at 28 should have more than the one gasol did
                      lol none of that matters? and yet you just basically just made up random things.

                      JV will be way ahead at 24? based on what? marc gasol can actually hit midrange jumpers and even did so in his rookie year. JV on the other hand, has been trending the other way and has been shooting less and less. JV is actually BEHIND in expectations for where hes supposed to be. just because a player gets older doesn't automatically mean they get better.

                      Comment


                      • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I also prefer getting the ball first in the 2nd half. I wonder if stats exist for scoring % for the game's first possession?
                        Probably the closest thing. 1st quarter shots in the first minute with the game tied (only 1 instance appeared when the score wasn't 0-0 - so pretty close). By looking at the games, you can see whether a second shot attempt was taken (ie first shot missed and a second shot was taken still within the 0-0, first minute parameter), and its around 12 or so. Wont take account if other team shot (and missed) first. Games where the other team scored first are filtered out.

                        20 "first" shots missed in 32 games.

                        Demar 1 for 6.
                        JV 4 for 15 (started season 4 for 6).
                        Amir 2 for 2 (0-2 on 2nd shot attempts after first team shot missed).
                        Lowry 0-3.
                        GV 2 for 4.



                        http://www.basketball-reference.com/...r_by=date_game
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                        If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                        Comment


                        • He might

                          Comment


                          • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            I don't think it has as much to do with Europe vs. NBA as it simply has to do with age/seniority dynamics. It's really difficult for a young player to demand touches from his veteran teammates who are above him on the pecking order.
                            That too....but it didnt stop Cousins from intimidating everyone including the coach to get the ball The pecking order is also more pronounced in Europe I think...as are fundamentals (Kobe's reference) and generally the team-first ethos drilled in at a young age in all sports really.

                            Comment


                            • And why isnt JV on the "world's" rising stars team?

                              Comment


                              • Bendit wrote: View Post
                                And why isnt JV on the "world's" rising stars team?
                                Isn't it just rookies and sophomores?
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X