No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Except JV did drop back over 95% of the time and didn't chase guards. Stats were posted a while back. And the main reason he had to close out on corner 3's was his defensively challenged teammates fucked up leaving shooters wide open.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Except JV did drop back over 95% of the time and didn't chase guards. Stats were posted a while back. And the main reason he had to close out on corner 3's was his defensively challenged teammates fucked up leaving shooters wide open.
      Yea I don't ever remember Jv ever hedging other than like one game, where he looked pretty good doing it too
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Except JV did drop back over 95% of the time and didn't chase guards. Stats were posted a while back. And the main reason he had to close out on corner 3's was his defensively challenged teammates fucked up leaving shooters wide open.
        I think a big part of the issue with JV dropping back is that the rest of the defence didn't react any differently than if he hedged. So the guards still tried to chase over the top trailing the opposing guard as though they were going to flash a double on the hedge, the weak side help reacted as though there would be a hedge. And the help became overdone, and scrambling would commence, even moreso than usual.

Having systems in place that are meant to accommodate the big dropping should help everyone on the team when JV (and, frankly, others) is in a PnR situation.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Casey made it clear, repeatedly, that he preferred that his bigs play aggressive and not drop back, and that Jonas was incapable of playing that way.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Casey made it clear, repeatedly, that he preferred that his bigs play aggressive and not drop back, and that Jonas was incapable of playing that way.
            casey also made it clear, repeatedly, that he's a fuckwit. he won't be around for long if he doesn't manage to come up with a defence that doesn't require Tyson Chandler.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              I think a big part of the issue with JV dropping back is that the rest of the defence didn't react any differently than if he hedged. So the guards still tried to chase over the top trailing the opposing guard as though they were going to flash a double on the hedge, the weak side help reacted as though there would be a hedge. And the help became overdone, and scrambling would commence, even moreso than usual.

Having systems in place that are meant to accommodate the big dropping should help everyone on the team when JV (and, frankly, others) is in a PnR situation.
              On phone, like this

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Casey's defence worked OK 2 years ago, and JV was here then as well. The biggest problem was we had the most useless godawful pack of perimeter defenders in the NBA. Vasquez moved like a slug, Lowry was an excellent help defender, but a poor perimeter defender, Lou was a short and skinny gambler, and Ross was simply awful.

With the 2 best hedgers (Amir and Hans) gone, the addition of Carroll, and GV/ Lou replaced by players with good defensive reps I too am expecting to see some form of D such as ICE that doesn't involve massive scrambling.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Casey's defence worked OK 2 years ago, and JV was here then as well. The biggest problem was we had the most useless godawful pack of perimeter defenders in the NBA. Vasquez moved like a slug, Lowry was an excellent help defender, but a poor perimeter defender, Lou was a short and skinny gambler, and Ross was simply awful.

With the 2 best hedgers (Amir and Hans) gone, the addition of Carroll, and GV/ Lou replaced by players with good defensive reps I too am expecting to see some form of D such as ICE that doesn't involve massive scrambling.
                  Casey's defence was different this year than last. There was a lot more hedging, and a lot more dependence on help, systemically, not just due to the quality of defenders. I think Amir's drop off didn't help either, but remember our guard situation was largely the same the year before - Ross, DD, Lowry, Vasquez - only Lou was new and he wasn't as bad as people make him out to be, while Salmons, the main deportee, was not nearly as good defensively as people make him out to be.

I agree that I expect an ICE based defence, hopefully with some of Casey's patented zone (which worked so well and he's simply never implemented it here).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Casey's defence was different this year than last. There was a lot more hedging, and a lot more dependence on help, systemically, not just due to the quality of defenders. I think Amir's drop off didn't help either, but remember our guard situation was largely the same the year before - Ross, DD, Lowry, Vasquez - only Lou was new and he wasn't as bad as people make him out to be, while Salmons, the main deportee, was not nearly as good defensively as people make him out to be.

I agree that I expect an ICE based defence, hopefully with some of Casey's patented zone (which worked so well and he's simply never implemented it here).
                    Except both Vasquez and Ross were far worse defenders last year than the year before. With Ross, maybe the bone spurs affected him and as you pointed out, Amir was just not able to cover up nearly well as had had in the past. I also think once the lack of perimeter D got exposed, opponents seemed to make it a game plan to attack it relentlessly.

Anyway, MU has made sure to upgrade that area, and I hope his faith in Casey being able to come up with viable system was the right call.

Comment

Except both Vasquez and Ross were far worse defenders last year than the year before. With Ross, maybe the bone spurs affected him and as you pointed out, Amir was just not able to cover up nearly well as had had in the past. I also think once the lack of perimeter D got exposed, opponents seemed to make it a game plan to attack it relentlessly.

Anyway, MU has made sure to upgrade that area, and I hope his faith in Casey being able to come up with viable system was the right call.
                      What if Casey finds a lineup that executes last year's system much more effectively. What if that lineup doesn't include JV.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I can't wait to see the new defense in action. If things go well, Jonas could emerge regarded as one of the top defensive centers - a bit like Bogut has been (minus the injuries) for much of his career. In Greer I trust, but I think his D, Masai's roster, and Jonas's development are going to have Casey playing 48 minutes of shot-blocking 5s - Jonas, Biyombo/Bebe.
                        Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Jul 17, 2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          What if Casey finds a lineup that executes last year's system much more effectively. What if that lineup doesn't include JV.
                          Then that lineup will probably get slaughtered on the boards.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

And why would Vasquez and Ross be considerably worse than the previous year? For Ross, maybe the spurs played into it, but my theory is that the system made everyone look bad.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

And why would Vasquez and Ross be considerably worse than the previous year? For Ross, maybe the spurs played into it, but my theory is that the system made everyone look bad.
                              So Casey purposely downgraded his system?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                So Casey purposely downgraded his system?
                                Purposely? Probably not. Downgraded? Certainly.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X