Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH wrote: View Post
    Yeah, DRPM is vastly better.

    Jonas was 5th on the team in DRPM if I recall correctly.
    Yes he was fifth
    Tyler, JJ, Amir, Lowry, JV

    But I dont fully follow the RPM stats and find some heavy flaws in them.

    IE:
    Dramon Green is listed as the 8th top RPM in the league
    Korver as the 11th

    Comment


    • Snooch wrote: View Post
      Yes he was fifth
      Tyler, JJ, Amir, Lowry, JV

      But I dont fully follow the RPM stats and find some heavy flaws in them.

      IE:
      Dramon Green is listed as the 8th top RPM in the league
      Korver as the 11th
      DRPM is not perfect. It says that Korver is a better defender than Carroll, which anyone who watched the Hawks can tell is straight up wrong.

      Comment


      • Snooch wrote: View Post
        Yes he was fifth
        Tyler, JJ, Amir, Lowry, JV

        But I dont fully follow the RPM stats and find some heavy flaws in them.

        IE:
        Dramon Green is listed as the 8th top RPM in the league
        Korver as the 11th
        RPM isn't perfect but definitely superior to win shares.

        Draymond Green may have been the 8th best NBA player last year, he may even have been higher than 8th; he was the best defensive player.

        Korver is the best 3 pt shooter in the NBA and has other skills as well, i.e. he's a great screen setter, something RPM picks up, but other stats don't. Maybe 11th is too high, and I'm pretty sure outside Coach Buds offence he probably would have been lower, maybe even much lower.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

        Comment


        • I wouldnt say that Green was the 8th best player in the league last season.

          Comment


          • Korver is outstanding on defense and I am saying that based only on having watched games and highlights.

            Last edited by stretch; Wed Jul 29th, 2015, 01:30 PM.

            Comment


            • stretch wrote: View Post
              Korver is outstanding on defense and I am saying that based only on having watched games and highlights.

              Korver is a fantastic player, I used to get flamed on other boards for saying he is better than Demar for a few years now.

              But he isnt the 11th best player in the league was the point....

              Comment


              • Snooch wrote: View Post
                I wouldnt say that Green was the 8th best player in the league last season.
                Depends on your definition of best.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                Comment


                • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  Depends on your definition of best.
                  what?

                  best is best.


                  Green is not even top 15 talent in the nba.

                  Comment


                  • Snooch wrote: View Post
                    what?

                    best is best.


                    Green is not even top 15 talent in the nba.
                    RPM doesn't measure talent. It's a +/- stat that tries to remove the effects of team mates and opponents.

                    It's a yearly stat. "Best players" to most people has more to do with career than 1 yr.

                    TRoss had the worst defensive RPM among SF's last year. Is he "The Worst"? No, he played injured and out of position - a lot.

                    I don't rank players, there were over 1200 regular season games last year, I watched maybe 100. And as the Korver clip shows, ther eis a lot of shit going on in a game many of us don't see or understand. There are people who break down games, and I think the number is over 16000 seperate actions in each game.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                    Comment


                    • can say with confidence I have not once looked at any of these stats. Sometimes they have some serious validity, sometimes they are off the mark.

                      I do however watch the games. I watch, and I see what I see. The key indicator for me with big men is when I see them standing with their arms down, and looking a tad lost. Jonas is guilty of this way too much. It can get better, likely will as he gets smarter, and a bit quicker as he gets stronger..... but anyone who has watched him play so far is reaching if they are saying he is a good defensive player. He isn't.

                      I'm hoping he makes a confidence leap this year. Usually a growth spurt accompanies it. But his window for "he's young" is closed. He has 5 professional seasons under his belt now. It might start becoming "what ya see is what ya get".

                      That would suck.

                      Comment


                      • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        And as the Korver clip shows, ther eis a lot of shit going on in a game many of us don't see or understand. There are people who break down games, and I think the number is over 16000 seperate actions in each game.
                        I agree, because when I played, I got beat one on one a lot, and wasn't the fastest, but I was a defensive player and our team help opponents down when I was on the floor. Defense is effort, no doubt, all effort, but 70% of that effort in mental effort..... not really a measured stat. At the floor level, do you know how many plays are altered just by a clever glance or a little body fake by a defender to push the ball away from an area or break up an offensive idea.... so many.

                        Comment


                        • Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          ...The key indicator for me with big men is when I see them standing with their arms down, and looking a tad lost. Jonas is guilty of this way too much...
                          I wonder how many of those times are accompanied by the thought " That's not the way we practised it!" or "The guard is supposed to force him to the outside. WTF?"

                          Comment


                          • not as many as you'd like

                            Comment


                            • Superjudge wrote: View Post
                              can say with confidence I have not once looked at any of these stats. Sometimes they have some serious validity, sometimes they are off the mark.

                              I do however watch the games. I watch, and I see what I see. The key indicator for me with big men is when I see them standing with their arms down, and looking a tad lost. Jonas is guilty of this way too much. It can get better, likely will as he gets smarter, and a bit quicker as he gets stronger..... but anyone who has watched him play so far is reaching if they are saying he is a good defensive player. He isn't.

                              I'm hoping he makes a confidence leap this year. Usually a growth spurt accompanies it. But his window for "he's young" is closed. He has 5 professional seasons under his belt now. It might start becoming "what ya see is what ya get".

                              That would suck.
                              Nope. He's 23 - he's a young big. Bigs take time. He's still learning. He's nowhere near being the finished article or "what Ya see is what Ya get".

                              Comment


                              • big boi wrote: View Post
                                Nope. He's 23 - he's a young big. Bigs take time. He's still learning. He's nowhere near being the finished article or "what Ya see is what Ya get".
                                I hope not. But he's getting close.... age isn't as important as time in competition. He's had a few years in a top euro role, and now the NBA.... he's gotta get it together this year, or at the least show improvement mentally. I'd be cool with that.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X