Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    I would argue he did a pretty good job of maximizing talent. The teams record was far better than the talent on the roster. Casey's biggest problems are poor in game decision making and a lack of offensive creativity.

And yeah, Masai is weeding out the issues, and yeah, I hope he can find the next Steve Kerr/Brad Stevens.
    This isn't really true dude. It's not that hard to win ~45 games in the east. Did a team like Washington or Milwaukee have any more talent than we did?

Comment

• I was just looking at JV on BBref, and I can't believe how good his advanced stats were last year. He made a huge jump from the prior seasons.

ORtg 121
      DRtg 105
      PER 20.6
      TS% .623
      WS/48 .189

He was basically able to put up slightly better numbers across the board, while playing 2 fewer minutes per game. If JV were to play at the exact same level as last year but get 31 minutes per game, here is what his box score would look like.

14.2 pts
      10.3 reb
      1.4 blk
      0.6 ast
      0.47 stl

Since I predict JV to both be better and get more minutes, here's my prediction for his box score this season.

34 minutes
      16 pts
      12 reb
      2 blk
      1.5 ast
      1 stl

I'm starting to think we may win the East this year, and I invite everyone to join me in this optimism.

Comment

• ^ Tbh I'd be shocked if JV got 34 minutes per game.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          This isn't really true dude. It's not that hard to win ~45 games in the east. Did a team like Washington or Milwaukee have any more talent than we did?
          Raptors won 8 more regular season games than Milwaukee. Bulls with Thibs won 1 more game than the Raptors. Only 5 teams in the East won 45. 10 did not.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            ^ Tbh I'd be shocked if JV got 34 minutes per game.
            The best kind of shocked. Like winning the lottery.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              I was just looking at JV on BBref, and I can't believe how good his advanced stats were last year. He made a huge jump from the prior seasons.

ORtg 121
              DRtg 105
              PER 20.6
              TS% .623
              WS/48 .189

He was basically able to put up slightly better numbers across the board, while playing 2 fewer minutes per game. If JV were to play at the exact same level as last year but get 31 minutes per game, here is what his box score would look like.

14.2 pts
              10.3 reb
              1.4 blk
              0.6 ast
              0.47 stl

Since I predict JV to both be better and get more minutes, here's my prediction for his box score this season.

34 minutes
              16 pts
              12 reb
              2 blk
              1.5 ast
              1 stl

I'm starting to think we may win the East this year, and I invite everyone to join me in this optimism.
              Yeah, he is a good player.

His game helps win games.

A few more minutes would help but he also needs touches. I put a post up yesterday showing he gets just 17 front court touches a game which was about on par with Hansbrough usage.

I don't think he needs 34 minutes to get those numbers. If he has gotten stronger and more agile this summer, I think 30-31mins combined with more offensive involvement would get them. Also, I'd like to see him capped at 31 minutes anyways. I'm always scared of injuries to bigs due to the wear and tear of an 82 game schedule. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - apparently.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                Every player needs to be held accountable, and that simple fact has eluded Casey during his tenure.

If I had to choose rank all of Casey's flaws that are detrimental to this team, I would probably put that as number 1.

Making all players accountable on both ends of the court would improve many things about this team. Sadly, that was one of the things Casey was expected to bring to the job. Casey seemed exactly the right fit for a young team (defence first, disciplinarian, champ experience) but sadly the only thing he brought to Toronto was his flashy ring and a big rock.
                Good post. By the way that rock that he pounds is not that big. Lol. Anyways DC is a flawed stubborn coach and may be projecting his personal acceptance of his own flaws to that of his players.

Comment

• Jonas is going to dominate for us next season, but it might be in 30 minutes or so. We've got a very deep team (considerably deeper than last year IMO) so need everyone to play all-out in fewer minutes to maximize our 2-way synergy. It's time for Jonas to start playing like Amir defensively, that should be the sell, and then you've got Biyombo and Bebe putting the pressure on with their mobility. I expect Casey to give Jonas some leeway this coming season, but not the whole rein. As the starting centre on a winning team his head's going to be big enough without the gaudy numbers that come with playing 34+ minutes.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    Jonas is going to dominate for us next season, but it might be in 30 minutes or so. We've got a very deep team (considerably deeper than last year IMO) so need everyone to play all-out in fewer minutes to maximize our 2-way synergy. It's time for Jonas to start playing like Amir defensively, that should be the sell, and then you've got Biyombo and Bebe putting the pressure on with their mobility. I expect Casey to give Jonas some leeway this coming season, but not the whole rein. As the starting centre on a winning team his head's going to be big enough without the gaudy numbers that come with playing 34+ minutes.
                    Best thing that could happen to this team is the development of JV, Lowry looking great and the addition of Carrol.

That has the makings of a VERY EFFICIENT 3 man band, so to speak.

P&R Lowry and JV all damn day with Carrol on the wings waiting for a kickout.

Comment

• This why Casey sucks. Best small ball team in the NBA only goes small occasionally. Whereas the retard used a team with marginally useful small ball player too much and wants to increase small ball next season after losing two three point shooter while adding one

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...er-been-higher

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                        Best thing that could happen to this team is the development of JV, Lowry looking great and the addition of Carrol.

That has the makings of a VERY EFFICIENT 3 man band, so to speak.

P&R Lowry and JV all damn day with Carrol on the wings waiting for a kickout.
                        Combine that with JV in the post with Carroll either spotting up or cutting (he's a great cutter) depending on the defence and you've got yourself an offence.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Combine that with JV in the post with Carroll either spotting up or cutting (he's a great cutter) depending on the defence and you've got yourself an offence.
                          Damn straight.

and much more viable long term, much more availability for improvisation. honestly very solid chance that is our most efficient lineup....I just hope we get to see it.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                            Damn straight.

and much more viable long term, much more availability for improvisation. honestly very solid chance that is our most efficient lineup....I just hope we get to see it.
                            id kinda wanna see a lowry - carrol - JJ - Patterson - JV linup

more cutting, more defence, and ALOT of size. this linup would bully smaller teams
                            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                                id kinda wanna see a lowry - carrol - JJ - Patterson - JV linup

more cutting, more defence, and ALOT of size. this linup would bully smaller teams
                                Yeah, I'd like to see JJ used as first option off the bench, sometimes coming in for DD, sometimes Carroll, sometimes Patterson. I wouldn't be surprised is he beat out Ross for that role, who will really be made to work for his minutes in a RFA situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X