Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not concerned about JV guarding guys on the perimeter in the 4th. As was discussed during the "small ball" thread, not many threats from there. Most teams can't really play that way for long stretches.

    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...ht=#post501373

    As for pick and roll, better defence on the ball handler will help here. The guards/wings should be able to disrupt more. Biyombo is a better hedger but it would be nice to see the coach play to players strengths rather than try and force players into roles.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

    If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

    Comment


    • Axel wrote: View Post
      Not concerned about JV guarding guys on the perimeter in the 4th. As was discussed during the "small ball" thread, not many threats from there. Most teams can't really play that way for long stretches.

      http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...ht=#post501373

      As for pick and roll, better defence on the ball handler will help here. The guards/wings should be able to disrupt more. Biyombo is a better hedger but it would be nice to see the coach play to players strengths rather than try and force players into roles.
      This is true
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

      Comment


      • Axel wrote: View Post
        Not concerned about JV guarding guys on the perimeter in the 4th. As was discussed during the "small ball" thread, not many threats from there. Most teams can't really play that way for long stretches.

        http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...ht=#post501373

        As for pick and roll, better defence on the ball handler will help here. The guards/wings should be able to disrupt more. Biyombo is a better hedger but it would be nice to see the coach play to players strengths rather than try and force players into roles.
        Casey doesn't strike me as someone who knows how to best play to people's strengths or we would have seen an adjustment last season when things took a downward turn. Based on Masai's signings, the plan was get guys who can play Casey's defense as opposed to get Casey to work with the talent he has by putting them in a better position to maximize their skill set.

        But I guess that's why coaches have their own styles, they have to put an imprint on their team; not just cater to their players and abandon their principles.

        Comment


        • Another advanced stat that paints a rosy picture of JV's defence: DRPM. He actually ranked above average defensively in that stat.

          He also has tremendous numbers for rim protection, both by NBA.com's raw numbers and an advanced rim protection stat (from number fire, I think?).

          Throw in his 17th ranked DRB% (among guys who played 500+ minutes) and you've got a lot of support for him being at least an average defender.

          He can sure improve in pick and roll though, and the new system should help - can't be any worse than the old one.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • DanH wrote: View Post
            Another advanced stat that paints a rosy picture of JV's defence: DRPM. He actually ranked above average defensively in that stat.

            He also has tremendous numbers for rim protection, both by NBA.com's raw numbers and an advanced rim protection stat (from number fire, I think?).

            Throw in his 17th ranked DRB% (among guys who played 500+ minutes) and you've got a lot of support for him being at least an average defender.

            He can sure improve in pick and roll though, and the new system should help - can't be any worse than the old one.
            No... don't jinx it...
            OG is our king

            Comment


            • I just want to hear Casey himself say he's implementing this new system. I just don't trust it until it comes out of his mouth. He's just too stubborn of a guy for me to believe it.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

              Comment


              • Man if only JV got better at dishing out to open teammates from the post. Together with defense that's one of the top priorities for him in my view.

                Comment


                • GLF wrote: View Post
                  I just want to hear Casey himself say he's implementing this new system. I just don't trust it until it comes out of his mouth. He's just too stubborn of a guy for me to believe it.
                  I won't even believe it when he says it. Need to see it on the court to believe.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                  If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                  Comment


                  • GLF wrote: View Post
                    I just want to hear Casey himself say he's implementing this new system. I just don't trust it until it comes out of his mouth. He's just too stubborn of a guy for me to believe it.
                    This.
                    @Chr1st1anL

                    Comment


                    • I'm watching Lithuania-Belgium. Good morning to me.. looks like Jonas is back at "I can rebound with one hand" AGAIN.

                      Comment


                      • Jonas is limping.

                        EDIT: Jonas is good, but Lithuania has so many problems. They were much more organized when I watched them play against France in Spain. Our young team would beat the shit out of this Lithuania team!
                        Last edited by rocwell; Mon Sep 7th, 2015, 09:41 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Primer wrote: View Post
                          DRtg. The best advance stat for defense in my book. He was a 105 last year, which is average. Please do show me the advanced stats you have which say he is a bad defender.
                          That means al jefferson is one of the top defensive bigs in the game. With a staggering 100 drtg. This isn't a end all stat, Jv still gets lost on p&r and is sometimes gets lost on where to be on defence.

                          There is no defensive advanced stat that correctly really shows defence
                          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

                          Comment


                          • Belgium upsets Lithuania on putback buzzer beater, Valanciunas finished with 25 points, 12 rebs.

                            Comment


                            • rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Belgium upsets Lithuania on putback buzzer beater, Valanciunas finished with 25 points, 12 rebs.
                              Holy shit. Lithuania is struggling this tournament !!!
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

                              Comment


                              • Kalnietis shot way to early!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X