Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Why is this surprising though? It makes sense that your guards and wings would receive more passes thatn your bigs.
    Other big men who have similar offensive efficiency to JV don't have this issue. Aldridge receives 36.2 passes per game, the only non-point guard on the Spurs who gets more is Leonard at 36.6. Dwight Howard, who's complained about not being involved in the Rockets offense, gets 27.2 passes per game. Enes Kanter clocks in at 6 less minutes per game than JV, and just 1.2 passes received per game less.

In terms of post touches, only two guys(Whiteside and Cousins) receiving more than 5 post touches per game score at a higher rate than JV, yet JV is ranked 18th in the league in post touches per game. Festus Ezeli gets more post touches per game than JV does.

Paint touches is even worse. Among guys getting more than 3 paint touches per game, JV has the 11th highest efficiency, yet ranks 35th in the league in paint touches/game. Three guys(Gortat, Drummond, Howard) get more than twice as many passes in the paint per game than JV gets.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• As I mentioned in a previous post. I agree that JV should get more shot attempts, but I'm not sure if passes are the same as shot attempts. He plays in the post and receives the ball at the end of a play. He does not get used as a pivot or swing the ball, so the chances of him receiving a pass, passing it and receiving again are slim in comparison to someone like Aldridge whom is used in those other scenarios.

Comment

• To add to my previous post, JV has the same PPP(1.11) as the roll man as Bosh does. We've gone to JV as the roll man 18 times, Bosh has been used as the roll man 150 times. JV has higher PPP than Marc Gasol(147 times, 1.10 PPP), Anthony Davis(163 times, 1.03 PPP), Serge Ibaka(153 times, 1.01 PPP).

Someone's going to point out sample size for JV here, but JV has all the skills to be an elite roll man. He's a good midrange shooter(40.9% from 10-16 ft in his career, 38.1% from 16-23ft), high efficiency post player.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          To add to my previous post, JV has the same PPP(1.11) as the roll man as Bosh does. We've gone to JV as the roll man 18 times, Bosh has been used as the roll man 150 times. JV has higher PPP than Marc Gasol(147 times, 1.10 PPP), Anthony Davis(163 times, 1.03 PPP), Serge Ibaka(153 times, 1.01 PPP).

Someone's going to point out sample size for JV here, but JV has all the skills to be an elite roll man. He's a good midrange shooter(40.9% from 10-16 ft in his career, 38.1% from 16-23ft), high efficiency post player.
          I was going to point out Sample Size, until you called me on it ... Lol

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            As I mentioned in a previous post. I agree that JV should get more shot attempts, but I'm not sure if passes are the same as shot attempts. He plays in the post and receives the ball at the end of a play. He does not get used as a pivot or swing the ball, so the chances of him receiving a pass, passing it and receiving again are slim in comparison to someone like Aldridge whom is used in those other scenarios.
            When JV receives an elbow pass, he passes out 82.5% of the time, and gets assists 12.5% of the time, and shoots 50%. It's really, really hard to find a place inside the 3pt line where passing the ball to JV is bad for our team.

Comment

When JV receives an elbow pass, he passes out 82.5% of the time, and gets assists 12.5% of the time, and shoots 50%. It's really, really hard to find a place inside the 3pt line where passing the ball to JV is bad for our team.
              Do we have turnover numbers for that situation?

In general though, I agree. JV has only ever done everything asked of him. He's earned his keep.

Comment

• Interestingly, JV has played almost half his minutes this season with the starters(Lowry/DeMar/Carroll/Scola/JV), and that's the only JV lineup with a negative point differential.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  Do we have turnover numbers for that situation?
                  He hasn't turned the ball over a single time this season on an elbow touch. He gets 2.2 touches there per game.

Comment

He hasn't turned the ball over a single time this season on an elbow touch. He gets 2.2 touches there per game.
                    Damn. Color me impressed.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                      Damn. Color me impressed.
                      JV's offensive numbers are ridiculously impressive the more you dig, and the more I dig the more I'm annoyed at how pathetic our usage of him is. He should be an elite big man. Has all the skills to be one.

Comment

That's actually really impressive. I thought it would be good, but that's really good

Comment

He's also shown a better eye for finding teammates since coming back from injury, when his teammates are actually moving while he has the ball.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            Nice stat. Would the fact that he's missed half their games have something to do with this?
                            Lol
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Like I said, he needs to get more shot attempts, but that isn't the same as passes. Scola and Patterson get used on the perimeter much more and have the opportunity to receive many more passes than JV, in the post. I don't know if those numbers correlate to being a good passer or not. He never seems too comfortable with the ball as a decision maker, but is clearly efficient scoring.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                He's also shown a better eye for finding teammates since coming back from injury, when his teammates are actually moving while he has the ball.
                                Out of players who have played at least 100 minutes for us, JV has the second highest 3pt% for teammates off his passes at 41.7%(he sets teammates up for 0.7 3pta per game). The only guy higher is James Johnson, at 57.9%.(I have to assume that's a sample size issue).

JV is actually a decent passer, hard for him to have much impact as a passer when he doesn't himself touch the ball that often. On his post touches, he actually passes out 14.7% of the time, and only turns the ball over 5.3% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X