Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    He's also shown a better eye for finding teammates since coming back from injury, when his teammates are actually moving while he has the ball.
    I would like to see what would happen if we gave him a Pau role in our offense. Or even what Scola's doing in our offense. With JV shooting 38.1% from 16-23ft I wouldn't even mind seeing what happens with a couple corner shots. If he could shoot even 30-35% there I'd be happy.

I think you give him some burn as a passer out of the high post you see the floor open up for the whole team. Set it up with a Pick and roll/pop scenario and see what happens

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Like I said, he needs to get more shot attempts, but that isn't the same as passes. Scola and Patterson get used on the perimeter much more and have the opportunity to receive many more passes than JV, in the post. I don't know if those numbers correlate to being a good passer or not. He never seems too comfortable with the ball as a decision maker, but is clearly efficient scoring.
      The numbers simply disagree with him being a bad decision maker. His turnover numbers are low on post, paint and elbow touches, he passes out at a decent rate, and scores at a high efficiency. All of those would indicate he makes good decisions.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        The numbers simply disagree with him being a bad decision maker. His turnover numbers are low on post, paint and elbow touches, he passes out at a decent rate, and scores at a high efficiency. All of those would indicate he makes good decisions.
        JV has basically improved everything each year. Only thing that is concerning is shot blocking, he showed a lot of promise in that area in his rookie season, not so much the last 3.

Comment

• I wouldn't call JV a good passer, but he knows it and doesn't really attempt any pass that's not wide open. That's a good thing.
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Interestingly, JV also has a 64.7% eFG in catch and shoot situations, and is shooting 55.7% from outside the paint this season. Also, unsurprisingly, we're a very good catch and shoot team. Aside from Scola, Patterson, Biz and DeMar, everyone playing 15+ minues per game has at least a 56% eFG on catch and shoots.

Comment

And that is why I hate taking numbers or stats at face value. They don't take into consideration what impacts those numbers/stats and leave a lot to interpretation.

JV's numbers look good as you quoted, but would you use him as a point/centre?

Comment

And that is why I hate taking numbers or stats at face value. They don't take into consideration what impacts those numbers/stats and leave a lot to interpretation.

JV's numbers look good as you quoted, but would you use him as a point/centre?
                Of course not, his ball handling isn't that good. I would use him the way that the Lakers used Pau, however. A mix of post-up opportunities and elbow possessions where he can be effective both as a passer and a scorer.

Comment

Of course not, his ball handling isn't that good. I would use him the way that the Lakers used Pau, however. A mix of post-up opportunities and elbow possessions where he can be effective both as a passer and a scorer.
                  I wouldn't mind using him the way we use Scola right now for the most part

Comment

• He doesn't make decisions quick enough or see the floor well enough to be used the way either Pau or Scola are imo. In time I think he can, but he just seems too slow and not nearly "crafty" enough at this stage of his career.

Comment

He doesn't make decisions quick enough or see the floor well enough to be used the way either Pau or Scola are imo. In time I think he can, but he just seems too slow and not nearly "crafty" enough at this stage of his career.
                      Based on what?

The top 2 players in elbow touches/game are Marc Gasol and Blake Griffin.

Gasol: 13.2 touches, 61.4 fg%, 10.4 assist%, 2.8 TO%.
                      Griffin: 10.0 touches, 43.3 fg%, 9.0 assist%, 2.7 TO%.
                      Jonas: 2.2 touches, 50.0 fg%, 12.5 assist%, 0 TO%.

You're telling me we couldn't increase his touches there? Again, I know, sample size. But still, the skillset looks like it's there.

Comment

Based on what?

The top 2 players in elbow touches/game are Marc Gasol and Blake Griffin.

Gasol: 13.2 touches, 61.4 fg%, 10.4 assist%, 2.8 TO%.
                        Griffin: 10.0 touches, 43.3 fg%, 9.0 assist%, 2.7 TO%.
                        Jonas: 2.2 touches, 50.0 fg%, 12.5 assist%, 0 TO%.

You're telling me we couldn't increase his touches there? Again, I know, sample size. But still, the skillset looks like it's there.
                        Wasn't a reply to me but....Yes I'm telling you JV is nowhere near as skilled at passing as either Gasol (and probably the third Gasol brother that isn't in the NBA) and no stat is going to convince me otherwise. You can increase his touches but he won't suddenly become a playmaker on offense as a result.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Well for one, those guys can put the ball on the floor to do more than go to the rim. As you yourself mentioned JV can't do that. How can you expect to run an offence through a player that can't do that?

Again, don't confuse me as saying JV doesn't deserve more shot attempts. He's capabel of that. Decision making and distribution not so much imo.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                            Wasn't a reply to me but....Yes I'm telling you JV is nowhere near as skilled at passing as either Gasol (and probably the third Gasol brother that isn't in the NBA) and no stat is going to convince me otherwise. You can increase his touches but he won't suddenly become a playmaker on offense as a result.
                            I wasn't saying he's going to be as good as either Gasol, I'm saying he can be good though. We need to increase his touches to get there though. How's he supposed to be a good passer without the ball in his hands?

Also, I have a theory about JV. I think that with guys like DeMar and Lowry, when they make a mistake on offense it's easy for us to forget it, or pass it off, because in the next 2-3 minutes they're going to have the ball in their hands another 4-5 times and get plenty of chances to make up for it.

With guys like JV and Ross, their mistakes stick with us longer, because when they have a bad offensive possession, they might not touch the ball again on offense for another 2-3 minutes, meaning the mistakes stick in our memory longer. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                              JV has basically improved everything each year. Only thing that is concerning is shot blocking, he showed a lot of promise in that area in his rookie season, not so much the last 3.
                              shot blocking is hugely overrated.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                                shot blocking is hugely overrated.
                                Yep. Main reason that a closer look at BB's numbers show that he isn't that impactful on D.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X