Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Excellent series by JV. You can go to war with this guy. Just needs to watch those fouls a little...
    He was our best player in the series, and frankly in a couple of those games the bad whistle was on the refs not JV. Games 1 and 3 were pretty bad that way.

    Comment


    • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      He was our best player in the series, and frankly in a couple of those games the bad whistle was on the refs not JV. Games 1 and 3 were pretty bad that way.
      There were some bad whistles, but on some of those bad whistles, he just shouldn't have been there - he needs to learn how to avoid those situations completely.

      I think he and cojo were the co- mvps of the series.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

      Comment


      • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        There were some bad whistles, but on some of those bad whistles, he just shouldn't have been there - he needs to learn how to avoid those situations completely.

        I think he and cojo were the co- mvps of the series.
        I think you vastly overestimate how possible this actually could be. On a few of those whistles he was in proper, legal defensive/rebounding position and got called for total nonsense. If he's not "there", there's a shot/layup or a rebound conceded anyway. You can't ask him not to "be there", because that's irresponsible play.

        Can he be a bit better with his fouls? Maybe. However it's hard not to fault the refs first and foremost. Especially when you consider that Indiana stopped even trying to legally box him out after game 1.

        Comment


        • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I think you vastly overestimate how possible this actually could be. On a few of those whistles he was in proper, legal defensive/rebounding position and got called for total nonsense. If he's not "there", there's a shot/layup or a rebound conceded anyway. You can't ask him not to "be there", because that's irresponsible play.

          Can he be a bit better with his fouls? Maybe. However it's hard not to fault the refs first and foremost. Especially when you consider that Indiana stopped even trying to legally box him out after game 1.
          You mean you can't send three guys to jump on him like he's a set of monkey bars?

          Comment


          • He was great. His defensive intensity seemed to drop as the series went along but what can you do when you have a guard going full speed at you because of our poor perimeter D. Biz is better suited for contesting shots like these.

            He could have been even better if given more opportunities, but I think he will only get there on a different team or without Casey.

            Comment


            • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I think you vastly overestimate how possible this actually could be. On a few of those whistles he was in proper, legal defensive/rebounding position and got called for total nonsense. If he's not "there", there's a shot/layup or a rebound conceded anyway. You can't ask him not to "be there", because that's irresponsible play.

              Can he be a bit better with his fouls? Maybe. However it's hard not to fault the refs first and foremost. Especially when you consider that Indiana stopped even trying to legally box him out after game 1.
              Lol I'm not vastly underestimating anything. Some of the bad calls were not avoidable, some were, and he needs to learn avoid those.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

              Comment


              • One thing's for sure, if we give him touches and develop him even more on both sides of the ball, Jonas is going to be earning every single penny in his contract+.

                Hell, I think he might earn them even if he doesn't improve much, he will though.
                Last edited by Mindlessness; Mon May 2, 2016, 09:16 PM.

                Comment


                • Look at how many ways the Spurs get LMA the ball en route to 38 points, it's beautiful: https://youtu.be/u8xmsoJ5ZYg

                  Such beautiful ball movement, love those passes on the roll. We can only dream.

                  Also though, look at how decisive LMA is compared to JV. JV needs more reps, but very simply over the next couple of seasons he needs to become more and more decisive.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                  Comment


                  • Bandit wrote: View Post
                    You mean you can't send three guys to jump on him like he's a set of monkey bars?
                    JV so big they wanna piggy back him
                    OG is our king

                    Comment


                    • S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Look at how many ways the Spurs get LMA the ball en route to 38 points, it's beautiful: https://youtu.be/u8xmsoJ5ZYg

                      Such beautiful ball movement, love those passes on the roll. We can only dream.

                      Also though, look at how decisive LMA is compared to JV. JV needs more reps, but very simply over the next couple of seasons he needs to become more and more decisive.
                      They have passing into the post down to an artform. This would never happen here. Casey would never consent to running offense through JV even if he was obliterating his defender on par with what Aldridge was doing to Ibaka/Kanter/Adams.

                      Comment


                      • S.R. wrote: View Post
                        Look at how many ways the Spurs get LMA the ball en route to 38 points, it's beautiful: https://youtu.be/u8xmsoJ5ZYg

                        Such beautiful ball movement, love those passes on the roll. We can only dream.

                        Also though, look at how decisive LMA is compared to JV. JV needs more reps, but very simply over the next couple of seasons he needs to become more and more decisive.
                        I agree that JV needs improved confidence in his midrange game but I doubt he'll ever reach the elite level like LA is at. I mean, the Spurs ran him off of two baseline screens for a jumpshot.

                        While it can and should be more of a weapon for JV, I'd rather not him not primarily rely on it.

                        Sinbad wrote: View Post
                        They have passing into the post down to an artform. This would never happen here. Casey would never consent to running offense through JV even if he was obliterating his defender on par with what Aldridge was doing to Ibaka/Kanter/Adams.
                        In that entire video there is exactly one pass to LA on the pick and roll, exactly two post ups and one drive from the foul line where LA trips and tosses it in at the hoop. Those sound similar to JV usage numbers to me. All the rest of his shots are open midrange shots (and one corner 3).

                        Kind of hard to blame Casey for not using JV like he's LA.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

                        Comment


                        • Mess wrote: View Post
                          In that entire video there is exactly one pass to LA on the pick and roll, exactly two post ups and one drive from the foul line where LA trips and tosses it in at the hoop. Those sound similar to JV usage numbers to me. All the rest of his shots are open midrange shots (and one corner 3).

                          Kind of hard to blame Casey for not using JV like he's LA.
                          I'm not advocating for Casey to use him like he's LA. I'm advocating for Casey to diversify how they use JV on a consistent basis, as opposed to the scraps they throw him. Watch how the Heat use Whiteside. They keep him involved-- a far cry from the amount of touches that JV gets within this offense.

                          Comment


                          • Sinbad wrote: View Post
                            I'm not advocating for Casey to use him like he's LA. I'm advocating for Casey to diversify how they use JV on a consistent basis, as opposed to the scraps they throw him. Watch how the Heat use Whiteside. They keep him involved-- a far cry from the amount of touches that JV gets within this offense.
                            Are you sure about that? Their usage/shot attempts/etc. look pretty much identical this season and if you've been following the Heat closely this season then you'll know that Whiteside has grumbled often about being underused.

                            Comment


                            • Now this guy is a star. Plays his best in the most important time of the year.
                              MeDar ReDozan

                              Comment


                              • I've been reading constantly that we should get JV the ball inside more but I disagree. And don't take this as an anti-JV post, because he plays great ball, but I just don't see where people get this idea that we can dump it to him down low and watch him wreck shop like he's Shaq.

                                He's not very good at actual post moves, he doesn't receive the ball well on passes in the low post with his back to the basket, he doesn't demand a double team and in the rare times he does he's not the Marc Gasol type passer who finds the open man in those situations.

                                JV's strengths are in the pick and roll and positioning to get points on scramble plays or offensive boards.

                                His shooting percentage and efficiency is so high because that's how he gets his points, you start feeding him the ball and his shooting percentage will drop and his turnovers will drastically rise.

                                Love the kid but in the post he's got 2 moves and a jump shot using only his arms that he's scared to take in the playoffs. The way he's being used now is how he's supposed to be used.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X