Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ogi wrote: View Post
    Sarcasm?
    stupidity

    Comment


    • Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Well one of the big knocks on Cousins is his inefficiency. I think part of that is that he's forced to do so much. Yeah he takes some bad shots but it's often because he's trying to put the team on his back.

      If his usage decreases and he's surrounded with better pieces I think he will actually be more effective.

      The real question is chemistry. But I think we have enough of a winning culture that we can keep him in line. Lowry can play Billups to his Sheed.

      We can't be afraid of change or we are just going to keep running in place imo.
      Keep running in place? Have we run in place at all in the last half decade? Besides one blip year in 2014-15 where we plateaued from the year prior, we've improved pretty dramatically every year in recent memory. I agree we should not hesitate to try to improve the team - but I also think we should not be so eager to change the pieces that helped us get here if we can improve in other ways.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • Whatever happened to that "we're on the treadmill" guy?

        Comment


        • ogi wrote: View Post
          Whatever happened to that "we're on the treadmill" guy?
          OldSkool? Pretty sure he left the moment Demar got re-signed.

          Rumour is....he has so much crow to eat that he's still going through the ones in storage. lol

          The guy's probably waiting for Demar to come back down to earth before he posts again. I don't blame him.... he couldn't stand Demar. I haven't read one positive thing about Demar from that guy.

          Comment


          • Well, guys, we're still on the treadmill. We can't get trough the Cavs, right? so we're still running on expensive as fuck treadmill.

            Few years ago we had this..



            We're running on this beauty now tho..

            Comment


            • Scraptor wrote: View Post
              But first I'd throw the kitchen sink at Anthony Davis. Because the time is coming when he gets sick of losing.
              You can offer the kitchen and throw in the mortgage to the cottage in Muskoka too lol there is ZERO percent chance the Pelicans are ever letting go of AD. He is not only the future of their franchise but the league. The Pelicans aren't going to make fools of themselves by trading away the biggest young talent of the next generation.

              white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Well for a player like Davis he gets traded whenever he wants.

              Not to relate it to anything the Raps would do, but if the Pelicans keep sucking so hard it might not be too long. I don't think he'd request it in season, but if they don't make a big addition early in the summer? Maybe...
              I don't know in what world the player becomes the GM and AD isn't going to do anything to hurt his image. New Orleans has him locked up and they're not letting go of the top talent of the next gen. The Pels have plenty of time to still try and add pieces and sell AD on staying....if not they 100% will ride out the next 4 years (at minimum with his PO in his 5th year) and only then look to trade him. There isn't a franchise in this league that would let him go.

              Unfortunately for AD, he is looking at a KD type of experience for the foreseeable future.

              Comment


              • JamesNaismith wrote: View Post


                I don't know in what world the player becomes the GM and AD isn't going to do anything to hurt his image. New Orleans has him locked up and they're not letting go of the top talent of the next gen. The Pels have plenty of time to still try and add pieces and sell AD on staying....if not they 100% will ride out the next 4 years (at minimum with his PO in his 5th year) and only then look to trade him. There isn't a franchise in this league that would let him go.

                Unfortunately for AD, he is looking at a KD type of experience for the foreseeable future.
                KD could've asked out at any time. It's a superstar's league. How often does a team not trade a guy who wants out, especially a player that good? Most of the time stars go where they want. And it pretty much never ends well for a team that plays hardball or drags things out. Image doesn't matter. It won't affect his sponsorships, and any stores relating to it would fade as long as he has success on his new team.

                The Pels aren't exactly putting contenders around him. If he asked out, got traded and his new team was winning, whoever might write anti-Davis stories for the trade demand would quickly change their tune to "the Pels should only blame themselves for not giving him a better team". Don't forget there are positives for the Pels to act on his demand. He's young and locked in...his trade value would be stupidly high. The longer they wait the more risk that teams will start lowballing and it might impact dealings with that player's agent/agency (also important in a star's league).

                If Davis is a top 5 talent for the next 10-15 years, he is one of the most powerful people in the league and will be able to basically dictate where he plays. I'm not saying he will demand a trade, but if he ever does the Pels would likely accommodate.

                Comment


                • If they land a top pick like fultz with #1 pick, plus their cap room then their fortunes could change in a yr.

                  Comment


                  • Edit top pg

                    Comment


                    • lewro wrote: View Post
                      If they land a top pick like fultz with #1 pick, plus their cap room then their fortunes could change in a yr.
                      Or they could stumble their way to a number 6 pick again, draft Buddy Hield, and be in the same position next year.

                      My only point about Davis is that another 50-60 loss season and Davis might have had enough.
                      It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                      Comment


                      • DanH wrote: View Post
                        Keep running in place? Have we run in place at all in the last half decade? Besides one blip year in 2014-15 where we plateaued from the year prior, we've improved pretty dramatically every year in recent memory. I agree we should not hesitate to try to improve the team - but I also think we should not be so eager to change the pieces that helped us get here if we can improve in other ways.
                        Maybe I should have used the phrase "we will keep running in place" as opposed to "we are going to", as it is not as clearly a future tense.

                        But still, it depends on how you look at it. Was 2014-15 the blip or was 2015-16 the blip?

                        We had two consecutive first round exits (one that was a sweep to a lower seed), then escaped another first round exit by the skin of our teeth. We beat the Cavs twice but they were on cruise control (per LeBron's comments).

                        We just lost to the Cavs at home again this year; they are clearly a level above us. So we have to at least consider what needs to happen in order to compete with them. And it's not just Cleveland. It's Golden State, it's San Antonio. These are teams we have to focus on battling for the next five years if we want to win a title.

                        Carroll, Sullinger... these are patchwork moves. They won't move the needle. We had a single lottery pick which a lot of us invested a lot of hope into, and as much as I like Poeltl, he isn't the answer either. And we're capped out.

                        So we either start consolidating assets and making a push, or we will keep running in place. It doesn't necessarily have to be Cousins, but it has to be someone.

                        And there is no perfect answer. Thaddeus Young, Tobias Harris, Markieff Morris--these guys won't move the needle enough. DeMarcus Cousins? Maybe he'll move the needle too much, or break the needle entirely! Serge Ibaka? Don't want to risk assets on a one-year rental. Etc etc etc.

                        We've just come to a point as a fanbase (understandably, after the wild risk-taking days of BC) where it feels like risk aversion is the only way forward.

                        For all of Joe Dumars's faults, his comments in 2004 when acquiring Sheed at the deadline ring true for us now:

                        Dumars said Wallace's past problems never entered into his
                        decision-making process.

                        "We know about all the issues," he said. "We feel this is a
                        guy who can help us make a run when it comes to playoff time. We've
                        said for a while now that we wanted to add an impact player, and we
                        feel he's the type of guy who can impact our team."
                        I love JV. But I've come to terms with the fact that if he's never going to reach his potential here, we might as well extract value out of him for the sake of the team.
                        It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                        Comment


                        • Scraptor wrote: View Post

                          I love JV. But I've come to terms with the fact that if he's never going to reach his potential here, we might as well extract value out of him for the sake of the team.
                          He may never reach his potential here, that's true, but there really isn't anyone that would be a better fit than JV next to Demar and Lowry.

                          If the justification for trading a young elite looking centre on a fantastic value contract is that he can't be as great as he could be because of our older, more expensive players then perhaps he's not the one that should be traded. For the sake of the team and all that.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                          If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                          Comment


                          • Hmm. I guess I'm of the opinion that a) JV's value to the team in his current usage and role is dramatically underestimated by most, and b) his trade value is somewhat suppressed by the new style of the NBA and him never having been used in any other role, and therefore c) his value to the team in his current role is already greater than his value would be in a trade. I think any deal made to bring in a star using JV will also require shedding significant pick/prospect assets while taking on the risk that the incoming player is not as productive as JV in this system or doesn't fit like he does.

                            In short, the best way to extract value from JV is to keep him and play him, regardless of what potential he has for even more value extraction in another role (which he will in all likelihood end up in long term as Lowry starts to decline and DD starts to approach the end of his peak and the team shifts focus to other sources of primary scoring).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

                            Comment


                            • DanH wrote: View Post
                              Hmm. I guess I'm of the opinion that a) JV's value to the team in his current usage and role is dramatically underestimated by most, and b) his trade value is somewhat suppressed by the new style of the NBA and him never having been used in any other role, and therefore c) his value to the team in his current role is already greater than his value would be in a trade. I think any deal made to bring in a star using JV will also require shedding significant pick/prospect assets while taking on the risk that the incoming player is not as productive as JV in this system or doesn't fit like he does.

                              In short, the best way to extract value from JV is to keep him and play him, regardless of what potential he has for even more value extraction in another role (which he will in all likelihood end up in long term as Lowry starts to decline and DD starts to approach the end of his peak and the team shifts focus to other sources of primary scoring).
                              The bold is very true and key to me. There really isn't a player that would be a substantially better fit than JV next to Demar and Kyle. The mythical options for bigs that rebound, block shots, and can score on the perimeter are just as likely as trading JV for LeBron. JV produces at a level that most other elite Cs do at 10%-15% less usage; adding a big usage guy with our current team is not a clear upgrade.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                              If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                              Comment


                              • Axel wrote: View Post
                                The bold is very true and key to me. There really isn't a player that would be a substantially better fit than JV next to Demar and Kyle. The mythical options for bigs that rebound, block shots, and can score on the perimeter are just as likely as trading JV for LeBron. JV produces at a level that most other elite Cs do at 10%-15% less usage; adding a big usage guy with our current team is not a clear upgrade.
                                To me, offensively he is good fit with Kyle and demar but a bad fit for himself with them. He's also a good fit bc he doesn't complain about it.
                                Defensively he is a decent fit but we've already seen a better fit imo from a very green rookie in poeltl. Jv and the organization have tried very hard to improve in this area but there's not much more room for improvement. I don't see him gaining a lot more footspeed.
                                I think we'd be better served by a Chandler type 5 and a millsap type 4.
                                Any team that does not have a center would value jv. Raps valued yak enough with jv already here to still use a top 10 pick on him. The game is changing but any skilled 7ft guy has lots of value bc the pool is small. You "run and hug them".

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X