Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH wrote: View Post
    So far this year he's taken 8 midrange shots per game to only 6 inside the paint, and only half those paint shots at the rim. Your thought seems pretty up to date.
    But he'd still be our best "inside option" since Bosh. Someone you can clear out and run an ISO in the post.

    Comment


    • S.R. wrote: View Post
      I'd keep those guys and look for a "put us over the top" trade somewhere else. I'm not convinced that isn't a lateral move overall, and it leaves roster holes on the Raptors and makes them older.
      Are you saying look for another trade target using different players in return? Who's the target and what are we giving up? I agree we would get older, should we consider to trade Lowry and DC? I agree a lateral move puts us on a treadmill. We have to improve somehow bc we are not quite there. How are we gonna do that?

      Comment


      • Nilanka wrote: View Post
        But he'd still be our best "inside option" since Bosh. Someone you can clear out and run an ISO in the post.
        Well, we CAN do that with JV, we just don't very much. Can't see it happening a lot with Aldridge either - more likely he'd be used as a pick and pop option.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • lewro wrote: View Post
          Are you saying look for another trade target using different players in return? Who's the target and what are we giving up? I agree we would get older, should we consider to trade Lowry and DC? I agree a lateral move puts us on a treadmill. We have to improve somehow bc we are not quite there. How are we gonna do that?
          Coming up with 100% speculative/fictitious trade scenarios are not really my thing, maybe I should keep my nose out of it when other guys are throwing ideas around
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

          Comment


          • S.R. wrote: View Post
            Coming up with 100% speculative/fictitious trade scenarios are not really my thing, maybe I should keep my nose out of it when other guys are throwing ideas around
            That's cool. I was asking in earnest. I hope I didnt sound sarcastic? Good day.

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post
              Well, we CAN do that with JV, we just don't very much. Can't see it happening a lot with Aldridge either - more likely he'd be used as a pick and pop option.
              You hit the nail on the head there when you said... he'd be used. I'm not convinced this Raps core could ever play inside-out even with Shaq or Duncan in their primes, so you might as well swap JV for one of the premier mid-range shooters in the game, since that seems to be what Casey's offense generates a lot of.

              And you can still put a lot of pressure on the rim without a traditional post-up guy using Noel as a PnR specialist who can finish athletically above the rim - kind of like the Mavericks with Chandler/Wright & Dirk. No true post-up guy.

              Comment


              • S.R. wrote: View Post
                I'd keep those guys and look for a "put us over the top" trade somewhere else. I'm not convinced that isn't a lateral move overall, and it leaves roster holes on the Raptors and makes them older.
                I do not see Aldrige as a lateral move, at least not on offense. He can carry a sputtering offense when Lowry & DD get game-planned in the playoffs. He is regularly over the 25% USG / 110 ORTG threshold, i.e., my 'golden' rule for elite and efficient scorers. And Noel would not be a lateral move on defense - he has shown he potential to be an elite rim protector, whose scoring would not be needed or even wanted in Lowry/DD/LMA offense.

                Comment


                • golden wrote: View Post
                  You hit the nail on the head there when you said... he'd be used. I'm not convinced this Raps core could ever play inside-out even with Shaq or Duncan in their primes, so you might as well swap JV for one of the premier mid-range shooters in the game, since that seems to be what Casey's offense generates a lot of.

                  And you can still put a lot of pressure on the rim without a traditional post-up guy using Noel as a PnR specialist who can finish athletically above the rim - kind of like the Mavericks with Chandler/Wright & Dirk. No true post-up guy.
                  Casey's old team. Beat lebron.

                  Comment


                  • lewro wrote: View Post
                    Casey's old team. Beat lebron.
                    The other thing is: where exactly did this "Aldridge can't play inside" theory come from?

                    LMA is a top tier post-up player, who just happens to have an even better mid-range game. In fact, he's the poster boy for this Nylon Calculus feature on Bullyball, i.e., top post-up players in the NBA. Other than shooting the 3, LMA is a complete offensive stud for a PF.

                    Check out the article....

                    http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/09/24/bullyball/

                    Still, some players are quite effective at bullyball. One of the theoretical pluses of the Spurs acquiring LaMarcus Aldridge is his supposed ability to negate smallball by being an effective scorer when presented with a smaller defender. At least in 2014/15, this theory appears to hold up. I’ll get to the methodology in a moment, but Aldridge shot just under 72% from the floor from around the post area when the closest defender was undersized. Combine that efficiency with his minuscule turnover rate and the mobility and length to allow him to catch the ball in a variety of positions on the floor, and yes, it’s probably fair to say Aldridge is a weapon who can pick on the mouse in the house. So, which other players struggle or excel when confronted with a smaller defender? Which players in fact require the mismatch to be effective?
                    On the other hand, Aldridge does in fact obliterate smalls. He’s no slouch scoring over credible big defenders either, but a steady diet of Aldridge in the post[1. Probably closer to the true post, rather than his more preferred quasi-midrange midpost office.] could easily give teams some pause before they decide to try to outquick San Antonio with small lineups, especially with Tim Duncan also excelling (71.1% vs. mismatches.)


                    Last edited by golden; Fri Nov 11, 2016, 09:19 AM.

                    Comment


                    • DanH wrote: View Post
                      Well, we CAN do that with JV, we just don't very much. Can't see it happening a lot with Aldridge either - more likely he'd be used as a pick and pop option.
                      I love Jonas, but he's not on the same level as Aldridge in terms of offensive polish.

                      Comment


                      • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I love Jonas, but he's not on the same level as Aldridge in terms of offensive polish.
                        Agreed. Not really the point though. DeMar needs the ball in his hands to be useful. The offence would still revolve around screen play, primarily, and any post chances would likely be limited.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • Polish can include a mid range jumper. Doesnt have to be the post. Like Jonas pump fakes at the elbow lacks polish. How I read it.

                          Comment


                          • DanH wrote: View Post
                            Agreed. Not really the point though. DeMar needs the ball in his hands to be useful. The offence would still revolve around screen play, primarily, and any post chances would likely be limited.
                            True, but come playoff time, we have a legit secondary strategy when DeMar's shot inevitably stops falling.

                            5 minute scoreless droughts will be a thing of the past

                            Comment


                            • Is Bebe slowly out playing JV ??!! Look at the numbers tonight

                              Comment


                              • McRealistic wrote: View Post
                                Is Bebe slowly out playing JV ??!! Look at the numbers tonight
                                Haha does a troll still get pleasure if no one responds?
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                                If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X