No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV has led in his feet. He was way too slow. Any chance Utah would bite on a JV for Favors trade?! Lol I know not but we need someone like that to replace him ideally. But really our C position just requires a better athlete that can move quick enough to guard the perimeter n ability to catch lobs n drop offs.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I dont agree on the Aldridge comparison. He took time to adjust his game last year and became more efficient by being willing to sacrifice. He also never lashed out in ways Cousins does. Cousins body language is almost always bad on the court, sometimes even when they're winning.

I also disagree on Wallace. There was never a question as to his on court abilities and contributions to winning. He was also never considered a franchise talent. People confuse personality as a person with mentality as an athlete. Sheed was a great teammate and win-first player. He was just a bit crazy. He consistently made smart bball plays on both ends, was always willing to sacrifice to win and was never about his own ego. He'd get techs and have a blow up every now and then. You can be a volatile personality and still "get it".

Cousins is all about ego. He was complaining earlier this season about how unfair it was that he wasn't 1st team all nba because of "politics". Dude is all about himself and that's always a problem from a "core" piece.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
      On a superstar level, sure you can question his ability to change games. But on a team where he's not the clear #1? He's one of the two best passing centers in the game as well as being the clear best scorer.

I just don't see how you can pass on a player like that if he IS in fact willing to take on a smaller role. (Big "if", I know). That first team talk is just immaturity on a losing team. Nothing much to look forward to besides accolades in that situation. Heck you have guys like Lillard complaining about making an Allstar team even with a moderately successful team. It happens.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
        JV has led in his feet. He was way too slow. Any chance Utah would bite on a JV for Favors trade?! Lol I know not but we need someone like that to replace him ideally. But really our C position just requires a better athlete that can move quick enough to guard the perimeter n ability to catch lobs n drop offs.
        Some have discussed a three team trade for favors. He's gotta get healthy.

Comment

• Marc Gasol 36 PTS, 9 REB aganst the Blazers. Grizzlies kept 'em under 90 pts. I didn't watch the game, but impressive stuff.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
            Marc Gasol 36 PTS, 9 REB aganst the Blazers. Grizzlies kept 'em under 90 pts. I didn't watch the game, but impressive stuff.
            What does that have to do with JV?
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              What does that have to do with JV?
              We've been talking about Marc here.. few hours ago I believe.

EDIT: Oh right. Sorry, that's JV's, not trade chatters thread lol.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Not to mention Demar has never shown signs of functioning well as a secondary guy playing with less volume, which is exactly the kind of shitshow we saw with Gay here.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                This applies to any trade to improve our front court, whether it's Cousins, Millsap, Aldridge, or whoever. Casey and DeRozan neeed to adjust. Our offense would need to emphasize getting the ball inside.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  This applies to any trade to improve our front court, whether it's Cousins, Millsap, Aldridge, or whoever. Casey and DeRozan neeed to adjust. Our offense would need to emphasize getting the ball inside.
                  broken record time: even if they don't acquire another frontcourt player this needs to happen.

Comment

• Shifting the offense to focus on getting the ball to JV inside is not a viable or even logical solution.

The offense is fine, in fact it's been playing at a historic level. It doesn't need to change, Lowry and DeMar just need to show up in the playoffs that's all.

What needs improvement is the defense, now down to 22nd in the league.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                      Shifting the offense to focus on getting the ball to JV inside is not a viable or even logical solution.

The offense is fine, in fact it's been playing at a historic level. It doesn't need to change, Lowry and DeMar just need to show up in the playoffs that's all.

What needs improvement is the defense, now down to 22nd in the league.
                      The offense is fine [in the regular season].

Yes, defense needs to improve greatly. But offensive versatility will also help our chances in the post-season.

Comment

• Despite DD's insanely high usage, we also have 4 other regular rotation players with over 19% Usage. Spurs have 6 at 19% +, but none of the Warriors, Clips, Cavs or Rockets have 6. I think we are pretty versatile.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          Despite DD's insanely high usage, we also have 4 other regular rotation players with over 19% Usage. Spurs have 6 at 19% +, but none of the Warriors, Clips, Cavs or Rockets have 6. I think we are pretty versatile.
                          Versatile in usage, perhaps. But not necessarily in scheming.

EDIT: The Raptors offense has almost no emphasis on scoring from the low blocks. Inside-out, outside-in is the versatility I'm referring to.
                          Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Dec 9, 2016, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Versatile in usage, perhaps. But not necessarily in scheming.
                            For me, the biggest issue is not the system, but developing a counter to the high trap on screen plays. The team has to have a standard reaction that can break the trap if the opposition uses it a lot. Can't be trying to find a solution on the fly, or expecting the guard being trapped to just be able to figure a way out of it. Maybe a version of the re-screen the Raps often use can be implemented to free the guard - JV's awareness is not great but specifically in the re-screen area his reads are really good now, so if they have a standard counter re-screen (I'd have to figure out exactly how they'd do it, lots of options) he should be able to execute it.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              For me, the biggest issue is not the system, but developing a counter to the high trap on screen plays. The team has to have a standard reaction that can break the trap if the opposition uses it a lot. Can't be trying to find a solution on the fly, or expecting the guard being trapped to just be able to figure a way out of it. Maybe a version of the re-screen the Raps often use can be implemented to free the guard - JV's awareness is not great but specifically in the re-screen area his reads are really good now, so if they have a standard counter re-screen (I'd have to figure out exactly how they'd do it, lots of options) he should be able to execute it.
                              Vs cavs he got the ball a couple times out of the trap at the foul line. He can make that shot. ideally I'd rather see him attack the basket to finish or when the help comes the wing like Dmc that's posted in the corner 3 would collapse to the basket and get an easy dunk from jvs pass.
                              He's not really comfortable or suited there but he could do it with a lot of practice.
                              Alternatively, the weak side wing (pat) sets a screen for the off guard (Lowry/cory) who receives the hand off curl from jv at the foul line and drives to finish or pass to the cutting Carroll. That's a lot more complicated but it's a matter of whether jv can do option 1.
                              I'm sure Nick can do better.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Nilanka;699446]Versatile in usage, perhaps. But not necessarily in scheming.

EDIT: The Raptors offense has almost no emphasis on scoring from the low blocks. Inside

Nor do the two main contenders for the championship. Like it or not that is the NBA right now and Ujiri is spear heading this as any legitimate rumours that have ever been associated with the Raptors were for scoring wings or defensive bigs. Cousins does not fit that bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X