Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [QUOTE=LJ2;699457]
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Versatile in usage, perhaps. But not necessarily in scheming.

    EDIT: The Raptors offense has almost no emphasis on scoring from the low blocks. Inside

    Nor do the two main contenders for the championship. Like it or not that is the NBA right now and Ujiri is spear heading this as any legitimate rumours that have ever been associated with the Raptors were for scoring wings or defensive bigs. Cousins does not fit that bill.
    my god, here we go again.

    The 2 contenders have the best wings in the entire fucking league, no shit they're focused around that.

    That's not a reason not to use your advantages. what a dumb argument.

    Lupe wrote: View Post
    Shifting the offense to focus on getting the ball to JV inside is not a viable or even logical solution.

    The offense is fine, in fact it's been playing at a historic level. It doesn't need to change, Lowry and DeMar just need to show up in the playoffs that's all.

    What needs improvement is the defense, now down to 22nd in the league.
    Oh, well Lupe has spoken. The offence is fine guys, clearly the playoffs will be exactly like the regular season. No reason to think last year was any indication.

    Christ...

    Comment


    • [QUOTE=LJ2;699457]
      Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Versatile in usage, perhaps. But not necessarily in scheming.

      EDIT: The Raptors offense has almost no emphasis on scoring from the low blocks. Inside

      Nor do the two main contenders for the championship. Like it or not that is the NBA right now and Ujiri is spear heading this as any legitimate rumours that have ever been associated with the Raptors were for scoring wings or defensive bigs. Cousins does not fit that bill.
      But they can't score in the low block, they have no bigs who can. Either way, we don't have a Curry, Klay and KD trio or a Lebron, Kyrie and Love trio. Both teams have enough firepower and star power to win championships without a low post presence, Raptors don't have that luxury, they have Lowry and Demar, who are very good, but their third guy is JV who is a low post presence, but isn't utilized often.

      Comment


      • [QUOTE=A.I;699464]
        LJ2 wrote: View Post

        But they can't score in the low block, they have no bigs who can. Either way, we don't have a Curry, Klay and KD trio or a Lebron, Kyrie and Love trio. Both teams have enough firepower and star power to win championships without a low post presence, Raptors don't have that luxury, they have Lowry and Demar, who are very good, but their third guy is JV who is a low post presence, but isn't utilized often.
        Maybe their "3rd guy" isn't JV. Or rather, maybe JV isn't suited to be the 3rd to DD and KL's 1st and 2nd...
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

        Comment


        • [QUOTE=jimmie;699467]
          A.I wrote: View Post

          Maybe their "3rd guy" isn't JV.
          Well no one else on the team is. JV is still the starting C and should be used to his strengths.

          Comment


          • [QUOTE=jimmie;699467]
            A.I wrote: View Post

            Maybe their "3rd guy" isn't JV. Or rather, maybe JV isn't suited to be the 3rd to DD and KL's 1st and 2nd...
            Is there another LJ2 on this site, because I don't recall every making that quote?

            Comment


            • [QUOTE=LJ2;699472]
              jimmie wrote: View Post

              Is there another LJ2 on this site, because I don't recall every making that quote?
              something is going wrong with the quotes. It looks like there's a hanging open quote tag that has gotten carried through from somewhere.

              For example, this will probalby quote "jimmie".

              Comment


              • [QUOTE=LJ2;699472]
                jimmie wrote: View Post

                Is there another LJ2 on this site, because I don't recall every making that quote?
                Quoting seemed to mess up a couple of posts back.

                Comment


                • We literally broke this thread talking about Jonas' usage.

                  Comment


                  • I don't think it's wrong to entertain the idea of moving JV.

                    We're not changing to an inside-outside 4-man out 1 guy in offense any soon. Nor should we. I don't even think JV is capable of handling that type of role. Doesn't have the passing ability on the offensive end, nor does he have the variety and versatility offensively to score consistently with that responsibility. On defense he is not capable of being a good anchor or making any kind of plays on the perimeter.

                    Also even looking at impact stats it's not like he's exactly setting the world on fire. Yes he's very efficient with what he's asked to do offensively, but when you look at his WS/48 (he ranks 5th among our rotation players, BPM (he and CoJo are the only players on the team in the negatives), you can see he's not having a tremendous impact on the team even on the offensive end. And defensively he doesn't fit our schemes particularly well.

                    I'm just wondering if you bring in a guy that can play our defensive schemes better and still do the straightforward parts of offense well (catch and finish pick and rolls, score easy ones inside), then move JV for an upgrade at PF, doesn't the team get a lot better?
                    Last edited by Lupe; Fri Dec 9, 2016, 12:57 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Lupe wrote: View Post
                      I don't think it's wrong to entertain the idea of moving JV.

                      We're not changing to an inside-outside 4-man out 1 guy in offense any soon. Nor should we. I don't even think JV is capable of handling that type of role. Doesn't have the passing ability on the offensive end, nor does he have the variety and versatility offensively to score consistently with that responsibility. On defense he is not capable of being a good anchor or making any kind of plays on the perimeter.
                      I agree. Nor is it wrong to consider the idea of moving Lowry or DD. It's a question of what you would be willing to move them for. Considering the way the team is performing, change should be made only with very, very high reward potential, because any change, especially to the core, will carry with it a significant risk.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

                      Comment


                      • Lupe wrote: View Post
                        I don't think it's wrong to entertain the idea of moving JV.

                        We're not changing to an inside-outside 4-man out 1 guy in offense any soon. Nor should we. I don't even think JV is capable of handling that type of role. Doesn't have the passing ability on the offensive end, nor does he have the variety and versatility offensively to score consistently with that responsibility. On defense he is not capable of being a good anchor or making any kind of plays on the perimeter.
                        It doesn't need to be so black & white. Casey doesn't need to change the offense, just tweak it. Make our half court sets less predictable by giving Jonas a few more ISOs.

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          I agree. Nor is it wrong to consider the idea of moving Lowry or DD. It's a question of what you would be willing to move them for. Considering the way the team is performing, change should be made only with very, very high reward potential, because any change, especially to the core, will carry with it a significant risk.
                          Not wrong to consider DD or KL, but a lot less likely to happen for a number of reasons. And since that would absolutely be the wrong move from a chemistry standpoint, cultural standpoint, etc., most people see it as more likely JV is the outgoing asset in a trade. If they can get a Noel type without giving up JV, that would help. A trade of JV wouldn't likely be to replace JV; it would be to shore up the 4. The D fix needs to come from elsewhere, which is why Noel's name has come up so often.

                          I trust Masai would not make a move that doesn't have "very, very high reward potential", so that's not a factor when I'm personally thinking of how they could get a better roster/better fit for DD/KL.
                          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

                          Comment


                          • DanH wrote: View Post
                            I agree. Nor is it wrong to consider the idea of moving Lowry or DD. It's a question of what you would be willing to move them for. Considering the way the team is performing, change should be made only with very, very high reward potential, because any change, especially to the core, will carry with it a significant risk.
                            casey, lowry and dd are the core. jv is not. we can talk about moving lowry to push the window back for potentially talented youth (draft picks) but masai is not doing this so it's just a fantasy exercise. it's hard enough to envision masai breaking slightly from his patience mantra to make any trade, let alone lowry or dd. it's not "wrong" but pointless is probably a better word.

                            Comment


                            • lewro wrote: View Post
                              casey, lowry and dd are the core. jv is not. we can talk about moving lowry to push the window back for potentially talented youth (draft picks) but masai is not doing this so it's just a fantasy exercise. it's hard enough to envision masai breaking slightly from his patience mantra to make any trade, let alone lowry or dd. it's not "wrong" but pointless is probably a better word.
                              How many C's have come and gone from this roster while JV's been here? What, other than usage, makes you think he's not a core piece?
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                              Comment


                              • S.R. wrote: View Post
                                How many C's have come and gone from this roster while JV's been here? What, other than usage, makes you think he's not a core piece?
                                Length of tenure does not = core player. What makes you think he is? His usage suggests he's not.
                                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X