Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Thx. The ORtg off split is interesting. Will is the guy I trust most at RR. Said this pre jv controversy and not a slight on any other contributor. His reaction pods are spot on imo.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Poeltl and Bebe aren't mobile? This is new to me. Pretty sure both players went in lottery and had a lot to with them being mobile 7 footers. I suggest you go read thier draftexpress profiles.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      If you read JV's DX writeup, his quickness was mentioned multiple times as well.

The Raptors and Roy Hibbert fucked up JV's development. When he got drafted Hibbert was the gold standard NBA defensive centre. We bulked JV up to be like Hibbert.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

If you read JV's DX writeup, his quickness was mentioned multiple times as well.

The Raptors and Roy Hibbert fucked up JV's development. When he got drafted Hibbert was the gold standard NBA defensive centre. We bulked JV up to be like Hibbert.
        Yes, he looked promising as a rookie. Can we reverse his development?

Comment

Yep. I'll respond to the following here because it's where it belongs:

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Poeltl is more athletic than a young JV. Better lateral quickness. Better defender all around than JV was at 21.

From a DX scouting report:

The place this seems to show up most is on the defensive end. Valanciunas is a major presence in the paint with his terrific size and length. His mobility helps him out quite a bit as well. He can contest shots around the rim and has good timing for blocking shots, even if he's not what you would call a high-flyer.
          "Jonas is so quick, he is so agile, he is so skilled that sometimes I forget how tall he is," said FIBA Europe President Olafur Rafnsson.
          Watch young JV highlights. The guy is so much quicker than he is now it's pretty sad. It's like we've aged him into a 30-something plodding center.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
            It confirms what many of us have seen this season.

Our Net rtg is +4.9 with JV on the court and +14.4 with JV on the bench.

That's significant and shouldn't just be ignored...

Our Net rating is +7.3 with DeMar on the court and +17.3 with DeMar on the bench.

These numbers are noisy and don't give us conclusions that are as simple as they imply.

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
              Yes but the team knows what it has with JV. Why set him up to fail by using a scheme that doesn't fit for the type of player he is?
              Because it worked?

Celtics were torching us from 3 in the first half.

Changed to the hedge, and yeah it didn't work that well at 1st with the Celtics making 2 more 3''s.. But once PPat subbed in for Pascal, the JV/PPat combo held the Celts without a make from 3. That's when the comeback started. Yeah, JV had trouble recovering a couple of times, but it seems Casey preferred giving up the occasional 2 points rather than 3 points.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Our Net rating is +7.3 with DeMar on the court and +17.3 with DeMar on the bench.

These numbers are noisy and don't give us conclusions that are as simple as they imply.
                almost as if our bench is better than other teams benches?

Comment

What do your eyes tell you?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Yep. I'll respond to the following here because it's where it belongs:

From a DX scouting report:

Watch young JV highlights. The guy is so much quicker than he is now it's pretty sad. It's like we've aged him into a 30-something plodding center.
                    Late last season and in the playoffs last year, JV seemed discernibly quicker than he seemed before and quicker than he seems now. There were stories circulating about him changing his diet mid season, giving up sugar etc.

I'm not going to guess what happened in the offseason, but I think there is a quicker JV than we're seeing lately.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      What do your eyes tell you?

That those bad long 2 pt shots he was unsustainably making early in the season aren't falling quite as often lately.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                        It confirms what many of us have seen this season.

Our Net rtg is +4.9 with JV on the court and +14.4 with JV on the bench.

That's significant and shouldn't just be ignored...
                        lol wait. all of a sudden you care about stats???

we know that demar is generally a liability on defense but we supposedly need his offense right?

so whats the on/off for the team with demar?

raptors when demar is on the court 115.5 ORtg!
                        raptors when demar is off the court 121.7 ORtg!

difference of -6.2.

not a huge difference you say?

look at opposing teams ORtg when demar is off/on the court

opposing teams when demar is on the court 109.3 ORtg
                        opposing teams when demar is off the court 102.3 ORtg

difference of -7.0.

combined thats a -13.2. thats a pretty huge drop from last year where the combined difference was overall -6.1. so demar has actually gotten worse from last year.

jonas? his combined difference THIS year is -9.5 which isn't good, but not as bad as -13.2. plus, last year jonas was only -1.5.

so shouldn't demars numbers also be 'significant and not be ignored' as well?
                        Last edited by iblastoff; Sun Dec 11, 2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• I can slag any player on this team. They all have warts.

But I don't do it often, as opposed some, and to be honest I don't feel good doing so, as opposed to some.

As long as they wear a Raptor uniform I think of them somewhat like I think of my kids.

JMO.

Comment

Nice! I think this just kinda shows that our bench is vastly superior compared to other teams.
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post

we know that demar is generally a liability on defense but we supposedly need his offense right?

difference of -6.2.

difference of -7.0.

combined thats a -13.2. thats a pretty huge drop from last year where the combined difference was overall -6.1. so demar has actually gotten worse from last year.

jonas? his combined difference THIS year is -9.5 which isn't good, but not as bad as -13.2. plus, last year jonas was only -1.5.

Love your effort to switch this to a debate about Demar..... However, Demar isn't going anywhere and this is his team (like it or not). JV's playing style just doesn't fit with this team and his defence is HORRIBLE. So much so that he's not finishing games and has trouble with mediocre and elite teams.

So we get it.... you never liked Demar and he was the first guy you went to look at his stats to save JV. But it's pointless because this is Kyle and Demar's team. They are the ALL-STARS.... not JV.

Instead of trying to prove a useless point, let's try to see who actually fits with this team so that we can be better and maybe, just maybe, try to beat the Cavs.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post

difference of -6.2.

difference of -7.0.

I'm not ignoring demars weaknesses but I'm also not ignoring that Casey is ride or die and that seems to lead to a misuse of jv and demar having a high usage and league leader in mins.
                                We don't control Casey so unless he decides to make the adjustment or gets fired then I think it's best to try to maximize what hes trying to do.
                                I like both jv and demar. My all time favorite Casey decision was when he benched demar vs indy. I was also happy when he benched jv at end of the celts game and I am happy to see jv drop 32 on Drummond.

Comment

Working...
                                X