Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    Trade him and let him resurrect his career somewhere else.
    Stop being so dramatic lol. You talk like the Raps are killing his career but the reality is, this is what he is. I've been sayin this for 3 years now, he's an energy guy. He needs to bring that energy EVERY NIGHT. He hasn't been doing that.
    Mamba Mentality

    Comment


    • TRex wrote: View Post
      Stop being so dramatic lol. You talk like the Raps are killing his career but the reality is, this is what he is. I've been sayin this for 3 years now, he's an energy guy. He needs to bring that energy EVERY NIGHT. He hasn't been doing that.
      Casey is killing his career. He is a capable 20 and 10 player. He is extremely underutilized, sure he isn't a good defender, and when you combine that with the low amount of touches he gets, you have a player who isn't helping you offensively or defensively. When you bench him for 2 players who JV outplayed in the game in less minutes, you're basically killing his confidence, hard to bring energy every night when that happens.

      Comment


      • TRex wrote: View Post
        Stop being so dramatic lol. You talk like the Raps are killing his career but the reality is, this is what he is. I've been sayin this for 3 years now, he's an energy guy. He needs to bring that energy EVERY NIGHT. He hasn't been doing that.
        He brings the energy, then gets tired from waving his arms while he's wide open.

        Two Suns rookies got more FGAs than JV tonight, a sophomore got almost five times as many, hell even Tyson Chandler got more. Pascal Siakam got more and played more minutes despite posting 5 fouls, 5 fewer rebounds, and a worse +/- rating.

        What are we even doing.

        Comment


        • TRex wrote: View Post
          Stop being so dramatic lol. You talk like the Raps are killing his career but the reality is, this is what he is. I've been sayin this for 3 years now, he's an energy guy. He needs to bring that energy EVERY NIGHT. He hasn't been doing that.
          Please tell me how you can bring energy when your own coach crushes your confidence?

          It's been 3 years of this bullshit and enough's enough. It's obvious as long as Casey is here, he'll never be used much offensively (which is where most of his value lies). Just trade him. It's better than him being a benchwarmer.
          "Stay steamy"

          - Kobe

          Comment


          • JV is just way too slow in everything he does. Its so frustrating to watch him get a pass from demar when he gets double and have to take 2 seconds to realize whats happening and for the raps to lose any advantage of a scrambling defense. Also he's been here for 5 years and is one of the best free throw shooting bigs why hasn't he developed a mid-range game? And on defense he has got to be one of the worst rim protecting 7 footers of all time. I just can't understand why he always has his hands down low when he is trying to help on a drive.

            I also can't see him improving on any of these deficiencies since most of them rely on athleticism which he doesn't have.

            Comment


            • hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              Please tell me how you can bring energy when your own coach crushes your confidence?

              It's been 3 years of this bullshit and enough's enough. It's obvious as long as Casey is here, he'll never be used much offensively (which is where most of his value lies). Just trade him. It's better than him being a benchwarmer.
              Its not just Casey, even the Lithuanian head coach benched him for 20 year old rookie because he was getting exposed defensively down the stretch of every game.
              Last edited by slamdunk23; Fri Dec 30, 2016, 12:44 AM.

              Comment


              • TRex wrote: View Post
                Stop being so dramatic lol. You talk like the Raps are killing his career but the reality is, this is what he is. I've been sayin this for 3 years now, he's an energy guy. He needs to bring that energy EVERY NIGHT. He hasn't been doing that.
                Jonas is far more than just an "energy guy"...he is actually fairly skilled hence why he was able to dominate in the post last Playoffs, so no it's not simply a matter of "just bringing the energy". That's just the role we've reduced him to.

                If a team looked for him consistently like we did in the Playoffs, he would be doing MUCH better statistically and that would of course "resurrect his career".

                Comment


                • slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                  JV is just way too slow in everything he does. Its so frustrating to watch him get a pass from demar when he gets double and have to take 2 seconds to realize whats happening and for the raps to lose any advantage of a scrambling defense. Also he's been here for 5 years and is one of the best free throw shooting bigs why hasn't he developed a mid-range game? And on defense he has got to be one of the worst rim protecting 7 footers of all time. I just can't understand why he always has his hands down low when he is trying to help on a drive.

                  I also can't see him improving on any of these deficiencies since most of them rely on athleticism which he doesn't have.
                  Wait, what? Do you want a 7 footer to drive or shoot from 20 feet out, where he gets it after DD dribbles uselessly in a double for several seconds? Because the rest of the team doesn't move. There's no pass to make. Heck, Nogueira looks real good passing out of the roll, but he often ends up in the same stand-there-and-hope-a-guard-gets-open situation on those bailout passes from DeMar - except even more often because he doesn't even think about taking a jumper.

                  Why hasn't he developed a midrange game? JV shoots about the same percentage from 10 feet to the three point line as Kyle Lowry or Patrick Patterson (roughly 40%), and takes a higher percentage of his shots from there than either of those two do.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • DanH wrote: View Post
                    Wait, what? Do you want a 7 footer to drive or shoot from 20 feet out, where he gets it after DD dribbles uselessly in a double for several seconds? Because the rest of the team doesn't move. There's no pass to make. Heck, Nogueira looks real good passing out of the roll, but he often ends up in the same stand-there-and-hope-a-guard-gets-open situation on those bailout passes from DeMar - except even more often because he doesn't even think about taking a jumper.

                    Why hasn't he developed a midrange game? JV shoots about the same percentage from 10 feet to the three point line as Kyle Lowry or Patrick Patterson (roughly 40%), and takes a higher percentage of his shots from there than either of those two do.
                    No I want him to at least move towards the basket when no is guarding him and wait for the rest of the defense to collapse and then kick it out to an open man.

                    I don't think comparing the % of mid-range shots between those players is a good measuring stick because they have another element of their game (3 point shot) that JV cannot shot. Lowry takes 15 shots per game and I want most of his shots coming from three or driving to the layup. And 2Pat is almost exclusively a 3 point shooter so the number of mis range shots he takes will be very low.

                    Comment


                    • A.I wrote: View Post
                      Casey is killing his career. He is a capable 20 and 10 player. He is extremely underutilized, sure he isn't a good defender, and when you combine that with the low amount of touches he gets, you have a player who isn't helping you offensively or defensively. When you bench him for 2 players who JV outplayed in the game in less minutes, you're basically killing his confidence, hard to bring energy every night when that happens.
                      Greg Monroe could put up 20-10 too if you fed him the shots. So could Vucevic or Kanter. Their teams don't push for that, because it's not the best way to play offense and they're not good defensively.

                      Comment


                      • Btw I hate how people are always so against JV extending his range. If he really wants to get more shots up, that's the way to do it because then you're a pick and roll AND a pick and pop threat AND catch and shoot threat. Marc Gasol has significantly increased his shot attempts this year from 13 to 16 primarily by virtue of taking 3 threes per game (as opposed to zero before) and shooting them at a very high clip (43%). Also when he made his initial shot increase at around age 26/27 it was because he expanded his midrange game. Went from shooting about 20% of his shots from 10-23 feet to over 40% and at a good percentage too. Can't just keep dumping the ball into the post, need to diversify offensively if you want more touches as a big.

                        That's not even getting into defense where he is a liability in modern defensive schemes. Lacks the quickness and athleticism and doesn't make up for it via effort or IQ.

                        Comment


                        • slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                          Its not just Casey, even the Lithuanian head coach benched him for 20 year old rookie because he was getting exposed defensively down the stretch of every game.
                          Are you talking about the Rio? Then you're wrong. He was benched cuz he was screwing up Lithuania's offensive system. Too many broken plays.

                          Comment


                          • Eric Koreen included this clip of JV in his recap, critiquing his d :

                            http://stats.nba.com/events/#!/?flag...0PTS)&sct=plot


                            "Every worry about Jonas Valanciunas’s defensive ability was exposed midway through the first quarter. The very fast Bledsoe beat Lowry cleanly, and Valanciunas, abandoning Chandler, was there to provide the help. Or, he was theoretically there to provide the help. In practice, he stood there, flat-footed, and Bledsoe swooped in for an easy layup. Valanciunas just does nothing on that play. He does not put his body on Bledsoe, nor does he not make Bledsoe shoot an in-between shot. He does not have the speed to contest the layup at the rim. He does nothing. And that cannot happen."


                            Here's the link to the article. Good stuff.

                            https://theathletic.com/31819/2016/1...og-in-phoenix/
                            Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Fri Dec 30, 2016, 09:41 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Not sure why everyone is piling on the JV criticism so much. His value will be proven in the playoffs when at least for two rounds of the ECF the game slows down and is played in the half court. When we face the true small ball teams of the league he becomes a liability, but there are few teams whom can pull off small ball successfully.

                              Comment


                              • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                Not sure why everyone is piling on the JV criticism so much. His value will be proven in the playoffs when at least for two rounds of the ECF the game slows down and is played in the half court. When we face the true small ball teams of the league he becomes a liability, but there are few teams whom can pull off small ball successfully.
                                Raptorsland always does this. There always has to be a guy. When it's not JV, it will be someone else. Been this way for 20 years.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X