Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good defenders like iggy and dray struggle to defend Lebron but you have to try, especially if you are selling the farm for millsap. At that point sell the whole damn farm.
    It's gonna take all hands on deck, plus the best defensive upgrades you can get at the 3 and 5 with Millsap.
    Giving jv a few more hook shots is terrible strategy that I can't take seriously. So is holding on to jv for the future if you are all in on Millsap in the present.
    Cavs and gsw are doing anything they can to improve their team like completely altering their roster to get KD. You can't cling to jv in that situation.
    Biz or Howard can't stop lebron on their own, clearly. Either of those guys with Millsap and a Hawks version of demarre or roco greatly improves our chances. Of course Lowry and dd have to be the best they can be, it's championship basketball.
    Even the vaunted god, Zach Lowe criticises jvs fit as a professional, objective analyst and people here still coddle him with the same old arguments like screen assists. That's not a difference maker to compete with lebron. Millsap will need plenty of help and jv standing under the rim with his arms up is pretty useless, even vs players far less capable than Lebron.

    Comment


    • As part of the adjustment, Valanciunas spent the bulk of his summer in the gym, packing on 20 lb. of muscle, looking like the “after” shot in a P90X commercial.
      http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-a-true-force/

      October 29, 2013

      Big difference between muscular bulk and bulk from sweets, candies, sodas and beer.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

      Comment


      • slaw wrote: View Post
        So, JV is to blame for the defense. But, wait! It's actually Derozan and Lowry who are to blame cause they can't guard anyone. But, wait! It's the training staff's fault because they don't understand how to train professional athletes! But wait, it's the coach's fault because he doesn't understand how defense works! But, wait! It's all actually Siakam's fault because he is a rookie!

        Man, it's a wonder these guys can even find their way out of the locker room, let alone win 55 games.
        To be honest, they're all to blame

        Comment


        • tDotted wrote: View Post
          Don't you think Poeltl needs to bulk up to be a more well rounded defender?
          Maybe, long term at C. I wouldn't want him putting on weight as fast as JV did. And I want him to stay lean and play both the 4 and 5 anyway...
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-a-true-force/

            October 29, 2013

            Big difference between muscular bulk and bulk from sweets, candies, sodas and beer.
            Absolutely. But he's post-diet change and is mostly carrying muscle bulk now (his conditioning could improve but he doesn't look soft like he did for a couple seasons after his rookie year). And is too slow, because muscle bulk still slows guys down.

            That said, this whole JV defence thing is overblown anyway. He's serviceable as a big C with the right pieces around him.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

            Comment


            • Howard vs jv

              Off. Put backs

              Howard poss 3.1 PPP 1.26
              Jv poss 2.3 ppp .76

              Off pnr roll man

              Howard poss 1.9 PPP 1.25
              Jv poss 2.1 PPP 1.29

              Rebounding

              Howard 13.2/gm 24.4 reb℅
              Jv 9.6/gm. 20.7℅

              Defense

              Dwight 44.4 dfg℅ 1.4 blk/gm stl/gm .9 DRtg 101.5. Drpm 2.45. Dbpm 2.5
              Jv 51.3 dfg℅. .7 blk/gm. Stl/gm .5 DRtg 109.1. Drpm -.13. dbpm -.5

              Screen assists

              Howard 3.9
              Jv 4.1

              Free throws

              Dwight 2.9 ftm. 5.4 fta
              Jv 2.5 ftm. 3.0 fta

              In fairness, jv is a significantly better offensive player in post ups, mid range and free throw℅. However, I'm focusing here on the things we are actually asking jv to do and comparing that with Howard. I think it is also important to note that jv is also playing with significantly better players, particularly guards and that I am assuming Millsap is traded to Toronto.
              To me, an important factor that doesn't show up in the stats is that Howard is a significantly better athlete and physical presence. I think that's very important bc a big part of what makes Lebron successful is physicality and athleticism.
              No one is a Lebron stopper but it takes a team of great athletes/defenders to have a chance imo.
              Please feel free to add other stat comps. I just referenced a few that I felt pertinent to our needs/usage and matchup vs Lebron. I think that's what we are really talking about if we plan to trade for millsap and challenge lebron.
              I also think jv for Howard swap makes our offer for millsap much more attractive to ATL and I've had a hard time imagining possible trade partners for jv, if Masai wants to go that route.

              Comment


              • lewro wrote: View Post
                Howard vs jv

                Off. Put backs

                Howard poss 3.1 PPP 1.26
                Jv poss 2.3 ppp .76

                Off pnr roll man

                Howard poss 1.9 PPP 1.25
                Jv poss 2.1 PPP 1.29

                Rebounding

                Howard 13.2/gm 24.4 reb℅
                Jv 9.6/gm. 20.7℅

                Defense

                Dwight 44.4 dfg℅ 1.4 blk/gm stl/gm .9 DRtg 101.5. Drpm 2.45. Dbpm 2.5
                Jv 51.3 dfg℅. .7 blk/gm. Stl/gm .5 DRtg 109.1. Drpm -.13. dbpm -.5

                Screen assists

                Howard 3.9
                Jv 4.1

                Free throws

                Dwight 2.9 ftm. 5.4 fta
                Jv 2.5 ftm. 3.0 fta

                In fairness, jv is a significantly better offensive player in post ups, mid range and free throw℅. However, I'm focusing here on the things we are actually asking jv to do and comparing that with Howard. I think it is also important to note that jv is also playing with significantly better players, particularly guards and that I am assuming Millsap is traded to Toronto.
                To me, an important factor that doesn't show up in the stats is that Howard is a significantly better athlete and physical presence. I think that's very important bc a big part of what makes Lebron successful is physicality and athleticism.
                No one is a Lebron stopper but it takes a team of great athletes/defenders to have a chance imo.
                Please feel free to add other stat comps. I just referenced a few that I felt pertinent to our needs/usage and matchup vs Lebron. I think that's what we are really talking about if we plan to trade for millsap and challenge lebron.
                I also think jv for Howard swap makes our offer for millsap much more attractive to ATL and I've had a hard time imagining possible trade partners for jv, if Masai wants to go that route.
                I highly doubt they'll trade Millsap and Howard. Plus Howard is low key a cancer.

                Comment


                • lewro wrote: View Post
                  Howard vs jv

                  Off. Put backs

                  Howard poss 3.1 PPP 1.26
                  Jv poss 2.3 ppp .76

                  Off pnr roll man

                  Howard poss 1.9 PPP 1.25
                  Jv poss 2.1 PPP 1.29

                  Rebounding

                  Howard 13.2/gm 24.4 reb℅
                  Jv 9.6/gm. 20.7℅

                  Defense

                  Dwight 44.4 dfg℅ 1.4 blk/gm stl/gm .9 DRtg 101.5. Drpm 2.45. Dbpm 2.5
                  Jv 51.3 dfg℅. .7 blk/gm. Stl/gm .5 DRtg 109.1. Drpm -.13. dbpm -.5

                  Screen assists

                  Howard 3.9
                  Jv 4.1

                  Free throws

                  Dwight 2.9 ftm. 5.4 fta
                  Jv 2.5 ftm. 3.0 fta

                  In fairness, jv is a significantly better offensive player in post ups, mid range and free throw℅. However, I'm focusing here on the things we are actually asking jv to do and comparing that with Howard. I think it is also important to note that jv is also playing with significantly better players, particularly guards and that I am assuming Millsap is traded to Toronto.
                  To me, an important factor that doesn't show up in the stats is that Howard is a significantly better athlete and physical presence. I think that's very important bc a big part of what makes Lebron successful is physicality and athleticism.
                  No one is a Lebron stopper but it takes a team of great athletes/defenders to have a chance imo.
                  Please feel free to add other stat comps. I just referenced a few that I felt pertinent to our needs/usage and matchup vs Lebron. I think that's what we are really talking about if we plan to trade for millsap and challenge lebron.
                  I also think jv for Howard swap makes our offer for millsap much more attractive to ATL and I've had a hard time imagining possible trade partners for jv, if Masai wants to go that route.
                  i don't think anyone is going to argue against the fact that on paper, right now, howard would probably do better than JV for us. But JV is younger, cheaper, doesn't have back trouble, accepts his role and isn't a locker room cancer.

                  If you're assuming Millsap is in TO i would rather keep JV than bring on that drama queen. Millsap/JV with our guards would be dominant on offence and that pairing would be good on D.
                  Last edited by KHD; Tue Jan 3rd, 2017, 05:02 PM.

                  Comment


                  • KHD wrote: View Post
                    i don't think anyone is going to argue against the fact that on paper, right now, howard would probably do better than JV for us. But JV is younger, cheaper, doesn't have back trouble, accepts his role and isn't a locker room cancer.

                    If you're assuming Millsap is in TO i would rather keep JV than bring on that drama queen. Millsap/JV with our guards would be dominant on offence and that pairing would be good on D.
                    Co-sign on not wanting any part of Howard. Dwight doesn't solve the defensive issues that come with JV, IMO; no sense moving an asset who provides good dollar-for-production at his salary unless those issues are addressed first/concurrently.
                    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

                    Comment


                    • Good on D is not good enough vs the best players in the world. You have to be very good to elite to compete at that level. Jv is very good on offense but hes not used. Some disagree but I think he gets less usage with Millsap here
                      I'm not saying Howard is hand in glove the best fit like millsap but it's conceivable that we could get him in this deal, maybe that helps our offer vs Denver and maybe it makes us a better matchup vs cavs. Perhaps the Clips fall apart and we can get deandre in the summer? Hard to say. Either way, I think jvs skills, recent play and usage don't move the needl enough vs the cavs, even with Millsap. They haven't played yet so we might get to see. It is also possible that Howard falls off a cliff and jv climbs one long term but I think that is an inherent risk in going all in a 30yr old player window.
                      As far as being a cancer, guys can mature, especially in winning, high competition situations. Having a demarre/Millsap connection and Kyle/demar is a strong, vet character group. None have Kobe egos.
                      Back issues, yes, it's a problem. Jv gets injured too. Part of the sport with degrees of risk.
                      Imo Dwight's $23m price tag is a big problem but also why ATL might consider the deal. Perhaps it could be the difference between getting Millsap or not.

                      Comment


                      • lewro wrote: View Post
                        Good on D is not good enough vs the best players in the world. You have to be very good to elite to compete at that level. Jv is very good on offense but hes not used. Some disagree but I think he gets less usage with Millsap here
                        I'm not saying Howard is hand in glove the best fit like millsap but it's conceivable that we could get him in this deal, maybe that helps our offer vs Denver and maybe it makes us a better matchup vs cavs. Perhaps the Clips fall apart and we can get deandre in the summer? Hard to say. Either way, I think jvs skills, recent play and usage don't move the needl enough vs the cavs, even with Millsap. They haven't played yet so we might get to see. It is also possible that Howard falls off a cliff and jv climbs one long term but I think that is an inherent risk in going all in a 30yr old player window.
                        As far as being a cancer, guys can mature, especially in winning, high competition situations. Having a demarre/Millsap connection and Kyle/demar is a strong, vet character group. None have Kobe egos.
                        Back issues, yes, it's a problem. Jv gets injured too. Part of the sport with degrees of risk.
                        Imo Dwight's $23m price tag is a big problem but also why ATL might consider the deal. Perhaps it could be the difference between getting Millsap or not.
                        If taking the drama-queen, injury riddled Howard and his 3-year $23M contract is the price for Millsap - in addition to whatever assets need to be given up - I'd rather target another PF. I want nothing to do with Howard. Never have. He cares about the name on the back of the jersey, not the logo on the front. What could potentially be just a half-season rental of Millsap is definitely not worth 2+ years of that man-child.

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          In the one playoffs series that Dwight and LeBron faced off in the playoffs, LeBron averaged 39 points a game (plus 8 and 8, on 60% TS%). His team just couldn't get stops, so they lost out to that incredible 4-out offence SVG put together way ahead of its time. And that was really early in LBJ's career, the version of LBJ that, according to Casey, was far easier to stop than the current iteration.

                          Nobody stops LeBron. Getting on your horse and trying to outscore him seems like the way to go.
                          The fact remains that LeBron has only been eliminated by a non top-5 defense once and it was the 8th best defense, Dallas in 2011 where he didn't show up to the series.

                          Just having a peek at the kind of rim protectors that have knocked LeBron teams out of the playoffs. Ben Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Tyson Chandler and Andrew Bogut/Draymond Green. DPOY candidates all around.

                          Comment


                          • https://www.google.ca/amp/www.peacht...roid-rogers-ca

                            Howard is likely not the ideal option but he might be the best we get in the Lowry window. ATM id think he gives us a better chance vs Lebron and that should be the focus imo.

                            I'm not the biggest Howard or noel fan, I just want to beat the cavs. If jv is the cost then so be it. Ideally I think we need deandre but hard to say if he'd be available or if we had the pieces?

                            Comment


                            • Guys, if you've even glanced at the salary situation involved in keeping Lowry and Millsap this summer, you'd be aware that there is zero chance the Raps take on a contract the size of Howard's. They are more likely to dump JV for nothing and start Poeltl than they are to go after a high priced C. And I'm not saying that's likely. I'm saying it's very unlikely, and there's no chance the Raps go after Howard.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment


                              • Yes, the money is a good argument.

                                Roughly if they traded cojo, Ross, jv (I'd ask for a pick swap if we are giving Cory instead of sully) and added 2 1st Rd picks, don't resign pat or Sully, maybe pick up fvv and of course norm; it equals roughly 55m$.
                                If they can convince Lowry and millsap to resign at $25m each and Dwight at $23m then that's $128m. $6m over the apron if it's $122m. That's optimistic, it could be more like $16m with two $30m contracts.
                                Not sure how much mlse is willing to go over but having these guys locked in for 2 yrs and the cap going up, hopefully getting us under the apron and avoiding the repeater tax. Again, optimistic.
                                Unfortunately, being in the tax is the cost of business at the championship level. Saving $8m + tax/yr on jv is not worth the chance to really challenge the cavs imo but I'm not the one paying the bills.
                                We would have our 3 picks and exceptions to fill out the roster next yr. Personally I'd be happy to trade cory for 4 cheap yrs of jawun Evans. I am hopeful we can develop yak and siakam into the kind of 5 that we need and maybe attract some David west types with the exceptions to replace pat.

                                Certainly gsw and Cavs are gonna have financial realities to deal with as well. Tax is just the ante for a seat at the table.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X