No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if it's that big a factor, but even getting Jonas the ball is more of an adventure than it has to be. On the roll he has difficulty catching oops (having to come down with it or tip it in). On post ups he doesn't seem to step to the pass while surveying the court like he should, highlighted by the opening sequence vs the Spurs.

He still sets big screens, makes his free throws, rebounds, and can finish around the rim. I just don't know that he's the offensivedynamo some make him out to be at this point.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Well, here it is in a Zach Lowe article from the horse's mouth:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ring-explosion

Casey is right about the fadeaways. But it also shows that Jonas wants to play more, which might explain his growing apathy.
      He's 100% right about fadeaways... Thank god Casey didn't bring Sikma to work with JV. Lol.

Comment

Casey is right about the fadeaways. But it also shows that Jonas wants to play more, which might explain his growing apathy.
        I may sound like an old fart, but I hate how every team's offense is basically becoming "shoot as many 3s as we can". Every tea, looks the same now.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
          He's 100% right about fadeaways... Thank god Casey didn't bring Sikma to work with JV. Lol.
          hey, jack sikma took 66 threes in his first 11 years, and then took 550 in 3 years, shooting over 35%. I think we'll see valanciunas shooting from distance eventually and if there was ever a guy to teach a big man to shoot it'd be him.

Comment

Umm, what about the fadeaways that demar takes?
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Good read. More and more Im accepting why jonas doesn't Play much.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                Umm, what about the fadeaways that demar takes?
                You don't see a difference in a 6'6 finesse go to scorer, and a 7' old school center?

Comment

I can't argue with the rationale, but I have two issues.

First, how often has JV been given the opportunity to dominate, in terms of touches and/or competent passes? Half the time he does get the ball in the post, his teammates stand around, which tells every defender that this is a JV post-up call.

Second, even when JV has had a dominant - or at least highly efficient & effective - night, he still seems to get the hook more often than not.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                    I may sound like an old fart, but I hate how every team's offense is basically becoming "shoot as many 3s as we can". Every tea, looks the same now.
                    yeah the 3 point line coupled with the untouchable ballhandler is making it boring as fuck IMO.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

First, how often has JV been given the opportunity to dominate, in terms of touches and/or competent passes? Half the time he does get the ball in the post, his teammates stand around, which tells every defender that this is a JV post-up call.

Second, even when JV has had a dominant - or at least highly efficient & effective - night, he still seems to get the hook more often than not.
                      I actually had the exact same thought process. I actually had no problem with Casey's quote on it's own. It makes sense on paper but doesn't actually match what happens on the court.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

He's gotta force the issue. There is a clear and undeniable difference in jonas vs indy and early miami series vs jonas of right now, and he was really being fed much more.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          He's gotta force the issue. There is a clear and undeniable difference in jonas vs indy and early miami series vs jonas of right now, and he was really being fed much more.
                          Forcing the issue is a surefire way to get benched, especially if you're Jonas. He is basically screwed, doesn't get enough touches or plays run for him to be dominant and he gets benched because he isn't a good defender.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                            Forcing the issue is a surefire way to get benched, especially if you're Jonas. He is basically screwed, doesn't get enough touches or plays run for him to be dominant and he gets benched because he isn't a good defender.
                            Well he dominated the indy series without many plays run for him..

Comment

I'm not sure I fully agree with that in regards to at least some of the Indiana series. Game 2 specifically sticks in my mind because I remember Lowry and CoJo explicitly looking for JV as often as they could. Or at least; enough that it was very noticeable to me.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

He had 19 rebounds in game 1.... 8 offensive rebounds. He dominated the glass. JV did this in only 21 minutes!! That got the attention of his teammates and his coaches for sure (he had an obvious advantage down there). Unfortunately, he wasn't very good offensively as he was 4-14 in that first game...However, something clicked because he had a great series.

He had a great game in game 2 and had 23 points and 15 rebounds with 5 offensive rebounds.
                                9 points 14 rebounds in game 3.
                                16 points 6 rebounds in game 4.
                                11 points 5 rebounds in game 5.
                                14 points 9 rebounds in game 6.
                                10 points 14 rebounds in game 7.

Yes, they started passing to him more because of his advantage, but he you have to give him credit for his rebounding which we needed because Kyle and Demar were missing so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X