Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH wrote: View Post
    At home. Two road games are better - Biyombo with 25 last year, Donyell Marshall with 24 back in the day.
    Yeah..I relied on sportsnet assuming what they say is accurate..big mistake
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

    Comment


    • Jonas adds to his itty bitty collection

      "Stay steamy"

      - Kobe

      Comment


      • hotfuzz wrote: View Post
        Jonas adds to his itty bitty collection

        jonas just looks like the hulk version of gordon hayward

        Comment


        • JV's too savage lol



          2:06: "They're racing for the 2nd place, we're racing for the 1st"

          Don't kill em Jonas!

          Comment


          • A.I wrote: View Post
            He is right. When JV gets the ball in the post, everyone stands there and watches him, no movement. So either he posts up and tries to score or has to walk back to the perimeter and pass it back to Lowry or DD. JV has made good passes quite a few times when his teammates actually move.
            Quite a few times? No. Every NBA player has made a few good passes, even Biyombo. JV is not Biyombo bad, but a segment of the Toronto fanbase is the only people who think JV is a good passer and the only reason he doesn't show it off more is because of his coach and teammates.

            Here's Zach Lowe prior to last season

            He’s a potent enough post scorer to draw double-teams but laughably bad at passing out of them
            The Warriors are the best team at passing and cutting. They have some very good passers and cut smartly. When it works it's a thing of beauty, but they also turn the ball over quite often, because it's hard to hit cutters through long armed NBA defenders no matter how good your passing skills.

            I don't criticize JV, because he brings some real offensive assets - ferocious rebounder, soft touch at the rim, good post scorer, great screen setter and the range on his jump shot has constantly improved. But this fanbase fantasy about his passing is exactly that. If anyone can find any outside observer that disagrees, feel free to post,
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

            Comment


            • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Quite a few times? No. Every NBA player has made a few good passes, even Biyombo. JV is not Biyombo bad, but a segment of the Toronto fanbase is the only people who think JV is a good passer and the only reason he doesn't show it off more is because of his coach and teammates.

              Here's Zach Lowe prior to last season



              The Warriors are the best team at passing and cutting. They have some very good passers and cut smartly. When it works it's a thing of beauty, but they also turn the ball over quite often, because it's hard to hit cutters through long armed NBA defenders no matter how good your passing skills.

              I don't criticize JV, because he brings some real offensive assets - ferocious rebounder, soft touch at the rim, good post scorer, great screen setter and the range on his jump shot has constantly improved. But this fanbase fantasy about his passing is exactly that. If anyone can find any outside observer that disagrees, feel free to post,
              Aren't both true? He's not a great passing big man, but also the Raps don't run anything off-ball while he's posting up and don't ask him to make those plays.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

              Comment


              • Lupe wrote: View Post
                JV's too savage lol



                2:06: "They're racing for the 2nd place, we're racing for the 1st"

                Don't kill em Jonas!
                That's the kind of attitude I want to see from ALL of our players. And hell yeah put it out on the media for Boston to hear about.

                Comment


                • S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Aren't both true? He's not a great passing big man, but also the Raps don't run anything off-ball while he's posting up and don't ask him to make those plays.
                  Yeah I don't know anyone would say that he's a good passer. I just think it's not fair to call him a bad passer when he doesn't have the ball enough to be tasked with shot creation.

                  Comment


                  • S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Aren't both true? He's not a great passing big man, but also the Raps don't run anything off-ball while he's posting up and don't ask him to make those plays.
                    Its much harder to hit a moving target with a pass than it is to find someone in their usual position on the floor. I think the lack of movement may be to minimize turnovers because we all know JV isn't known to be a good passer.

                    So yes, both are true and people need to realize that. If JV was a better passer, they would certainly run more plays through him. Its just the reality of the situation.

                    By the way - Great game from JV last night.

                    That's the kind of game people want to see from him. I know people are looking at his FG attempts and saying "hey we involved him much more," but let's be honest....not really. A LOT of those were due to him tipping the ball during rebounds around the rim, which in turn inflated his rebounding numbers as well.

                    Nevertheless, it was still a great performance and he was the best BIG on the floor for either team. It wasn't even close.....He looked like a man surrounded by boys.
                    Last edited by special1; Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:17 PM.

                    Comment


                    • special1 wrote: View Post
                      Its much harder to hit a moving target with a pass than it is to find someone in their usual position on the floor. I think the lack of movement may be to minimize turnovers because we all know JV isn't known to be a good passer.

                      So yes, both is true and people need to realize that. If JV was a better passer, they would certainly run more plays through him. Its just the reality of the situation.

                      By the way - Great game from JV last night.

                      That's the kind of game people want to see from him. I know people are looking at his FG attempts and saying "hey we involved him much more," but let's be honest....not really. A LOT of those were due to him tipping the ball during rebounds around the rim, which in turn inflated his rebounding numbers as well.

                      Nevertheless, it was still a great performance and he was the best BIG on the floor for either team. It wasn't even close.....He looked like a man surrounded by boys.
                      Yeah it was very reminiscent of the indy series. Didn't have a high usage, but still dominated. And he doesn't need 23 rebounds to stay on the floor. You just need to feel him. And they certainly did.
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Quite a few times? No. Every NBA player has made a few good passes, even Biyombo. JV is not Biyombo bad, but a segment of the Toronto fanbase is the only people who think JV is a good passer and the only reason he doesn't show it off more is because of his coach and teammates.

                        Here's Zach Lowe prior to last season



                        The Warriors are the best team at passing and cutting. They have some very good passers and cut smartly. When it works it's a thing of beauty, but they also turn the ball over quite often, because it's hard to hit cutters through long armed NBA defenders no matter how good your passing skills.

                        I don't criticize JV, because he brings some real offensive assets - ferocious rebounder, soft touch at the rim, good post scorer, great screen setter and the range on his jump shot has constantly improved. But this fanbase fantasy about his passing is exactly that. If anyone can find any outside observer that disagrees, feel free to post,
                        I'll feel free to post regardless

                        Developing a good post offence (even as a 3rd option) is something that requires commitment. And not just from JV.

                        It requires that the offence be set up to pass in to the post. JV posted up on the weak side, probably best by either Lowry, Ross or even Patterson. So that there is a viable 3 point threat if the passer's check doubles JV. If JV is on the strong side, the 3rd player needs to move to the other side to remove the easy double. DD would have to be willing to rotate to the strong side to isolate JV.

                        Now sure, if we work on this, is it going to take some practice for JV to read the double and pass out of it? Absolutely. Will there be hiccups, frustration and faces in palms? Yes.
                        But shouldn't we work on that now rather than hope JV can somehow come out of nowhere again in the playoffs and that somehow our guards and wings will know how to pass in to the post and move, even thought it's something they haven't run all year.

                        And it's something we should want to do. Develop a bonafide 3rd option and create ball movement. The more JV is a threat inside and commands the double, the more KL, DD, PP and TR are open.

                        Said it tons of times before, its a cliche but it's true. Bigs take time. Particularly bigs that can't just rely on freak athletic ability early on.

                        Learning how to read defences and pass out of the double to feed the open man is one of the most difficult skills for a big man. I'd at least like to see a raptors team determined to practice it before I'm willing to throw my hands up and say JV is bad at passing from the post. I've seen him do it. But I very rarely see A determination to post JV up and run an offence with that as the goals. And as a post man, if you only see a few passes a game, good chance you're going up with it. Pretty sure that applies to any other top 6-7 guy in the rotation with limited touches.

                        Comment


                        • big boi wrote: View Post
                          I'll feel free to post regardless

                          Developing a good post offence (even as a 3rd option) is something that requires commitment. And not just from JV.

                          It requires that the offence be set up to pass in to the post. JV posted up on the weak side, probably best by either Lowry, Ross or even Patterson. So that there is a viable 3 point threat if the passer's check doubles JV. If JV is on the strong side, the 3rd player needs to move to the other side to remove the easy double. DD would have to be willing to rotate to the strong side to isolate JV.

                          Now sure, if we work on this, is it going to take some practice for JV to read the double and pass out of it? Absolutely. Will there be hiccups, frustration and faces in palms? Yes.
                          But shouldn't we work on that now rather than hope JV can somehow come out of nowhere again in the playoffs and that somehow our guards and wings will know how to pass in to the post and move, even thought it's something they haven't run all year.

                          And it's something we should want to do. Develop a bonafide 3rd option and create ball movement. The more JV is a threat inside and commands the double, the more KL, DD, PP and TR are open.

                          Said it tons of times before, its a cliche but it's true. Bigs take time. Particularly bigs that can't just rely on freak athletic ability early on.

                          Learning how to read defences and pass out of the double to feed the open man is one of the most difficult skills for a big man. I'd at least like to see a raptors team determined to practice it before I'm willing to throw my hands up and say JV is bad at passing from the post. I've seen him do it. But I very rarely see A determination to post JV up and run an offence with that as the goals. And as a post man, if you only see a few passes a game, good chance you're going up with it. Pretty sure that applies to any other top 6-7 guy in the rotation with limited touches.
                          In an alternate universe, where JV joins the Raptors in 2009 and DeRozan joins as a rookie in 2012, this is a scenario that possibly happens.

                          It goes to show the importance of timing and opportunity. Raps have designed an entire offense to take advantage of DeMar's unique strengths on offense, minimizing his weaknesses on both offense (3-pt shooting) and overall defense. They've developed DeMar and the roster to work around him.

                          In the alternate JV arrives first universe, the Raps develop a Grizzlie style big man offense around JV and DeMar is told to improve his 3&D game, as well as learning how to feed the post.
                          Last edited by golden; Wed Jan 11, 2017, 02:50 PM.

                          Comment


                          • golden wrote: View Post
                            In an alternate universe, where JV joins the Raptors in 2009 and DeRozan joins as a rookie in 2012, this is a scenario that possibly happens.

                            It goes to show the importance of timing and opportunity. Raps have designed an entire offense to take advantage of DeMar's unique strengths on offense, minimizing his weaknesses on both offense (3-pt shooting) and overall defense. They've developed DeMar and the roster to work around him.

                            In the alternate JV arrives first universe, the Raps develop a Grizzlie style big man offense around JV and DeMar is told to improve his 3&D game, as well as learning how to feeding the post.
                            Ah yes, first come first serve. The foundation of any good community league kids basketball team. Wait..
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Yeah it was very reminiscent of the indy series. Didn't have a high usage, but still dominated. And he doesn't need 23 rebounds to stay on the floor. You just need to feel him. And they certainly did.
                              Actually offensive rebounds factor into usage.

                              Comment


                              • Lupe wrote: View Post
                                Actually offensive rebounds factor into usage.
                                I'm sure you were picking up what I was laying down
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X