Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    When we face a legit contender like the Cav's, and they go small, should JV be in the line up to close the game?
    Of course not. But he should be in the game against TT at all times - he's one of the few bigs that can negate TT's board work.

But the Cavs will only go small for short stretches.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      JV will play 20-25 minutes a night. One night might be more because of match ups. 10-15 minutes will be given to Bebe or Yak. Depending on whose playing well.

JV has accepted his role on this team. I think it's time most of you accept it as well.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      Shutup Dwane.

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        And that's fine. They didn't have a better option before (seriously, BeBe was a disaster in the clutch, and there weren't many matchups where Pat at C was viable). I'm one of JV's biggest backers, and I don't think he should be closing with Ibaka/Pat or Ibaka/PJ available to crush teams' spirits defensively.

The real issue is him not getting 26-30 minutes. There is zero reason for BeBe or Poeltl to play over JV if Ibaka is soaking up C minutes.
        22mins is fine for JV, he could use a few more and when he plays he needs touches and to own the glass but other than that it's fine.
        Glad they gave yak a look. He's a MUCH better perimeter defender than JV or bebe. If we want to close with Ibaka for D than yak deserves a look to set up the closing mins. Saw it last night, looked good aside from rookie fouls. So there IS a reason yak played - defense. If the argument is strong D in the 4th than yak is showing more promise as a defender. He was awesome vs Charlotte in the 4th. I maybe wouldn't have tested it on nurkic but he's showing potential. Hope to see more.

Comment

When we face a legit contender like the Cav's, and they go small, should JV be in the line up to close the game?
          They have Bogut now.. so it's possible the Cavs don't go small. JV should be playing whenever Bogut is. But yeah.. if they roll out the TT/Love, TT/LBJ or Love/LBJ combo than JV should be sitting.

Comment

Yeah, but if the post-season is going to include lots of JV-and-bench minutes, I'd like to see JV and the bench get a few minutes together to build some chemistry, or to at least prove to themselves that it works. Last thing I want is a repeat of 2014-15 when Hansbrough was suddenly the starting PF right at the end of the year, screwing up the rotation. They should use this month to solidify the rotation, not to continue tinkering with pieces that, if all goes well, will not be seeing non-garbage time minutes in the playoffs.
            Disagree. SR is right. Last 20 games we have time to get JV 2nd unit looks and get yak some run. It's only 6-12mins. Bebe has been bad for so long that we should have done this earlier but still time. JV has 5 yrs experience, he's fine. Yak hasn't played all yr and we might need him so he needs run. Hopefully yak can step up or there's a small hole in the lineup.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
              22mins is fine for JV, he could use a few more and when he plays he needs touches and to own the glass but other than that it's fine.
              Glad they gave yak a look. He's a MUCH better perimeter defender than JV or bebe. If we want to close with Ibaka for D than yak deserves a look to set up the closing mins. Saw it last night, looked good aside from rookie fouls. So there IS a reason yak played - defense. If the argument is strong D in the 4th than yak is showing more promise as a defender. He was awesome vs Charlotte in the 4th. I maybe wouldn't have tested it on nurkic but he's showing potential. Hope to see more.
              Valanciunas literally has the best on-court DRTG on the team in the clutch this season. He's a 4th Q player whose intensity on both ends improves with the game on the line, who doesn't play in the 4th...

I like Poeltl and he'll come in handy next year as backup C and in case of injury, and long term could be a cheap replacement for JV when he's up for a raise in a couple years. But he's not a better overall option than JV. If the 4th Q strategy was only about defence, DeRozan wouldn't play at all. The Raptors have crapped away leads trying to defend their way to a win without bothering to score down the stretch, and would be smart to consider both ends of the floor at all times. And for all his defensive quickness, just like BeBe, Poeltl is a liability on the defensive glass.

If these are development minutes, sure I guess. I'd rather have the development minutes happen in the pre-all-star segment of the season, because we need to be nailing down a rotation soon.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Of course not. But he should be in the game against TT at all times - he's one of the few bigs that can negate TT's board work.

But the Cavs will only go small for short stretches.
                That implies we should be reacting to what the Cav's throw at us and not making them react to what we are trying to do. We have to at some point establish, or try to establish a mismatch of our own. If not we will always be trailing them and at best minimizing the margins of a loss.

Comment

That implies we should be reacting to what the Cav's throw at us and not making them react to what we are trying to do. We have to at some point establish, or try to establish a mismatch of our own. If not we will always be trailing them and at best minimizing the margins of a loss.
                  It depends where the talent gap is. In the past, rolling BeBe-Pat or Biz-Pat would be a talent deficit compared to Love-Frye. Ibaka-Pat is a talent surplus compared to Love-Frye.

You have to do some degree of matching up. It's when you do so at the expense of putting your best players on the floor that you play into your opponents' hands.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yes, I said yak should have got mins and a role a month ago when bebe started to decline. It's not ideal to try to reconfigure in the last 20 games but a lot is fluid now with two new players and we do need a viable option behind JV.
                    Again Dan, you're relying on stats, which is a good indicator but in this case yak is a rookie with inconsistent mins and no role to date. Watching him play shows more promise than the stats. His footspeed on the perimeter is not a boxscore metric. His stats do reflect that he has a nose for the ball on the O Rebs but is a little weak on the d Rebs. He'll get there and faster with consistent mins/role.
                    We need a backup behind JV and bebe isn't cutting it. It's a bit premature for yak but c'est la vie. If he flops, then back to bebe and hopefully it's 0-6mins in the playoffs. That's all I'm expecting out of bebe or yak in the playoffs but whichever guy fills those mins needs to be ready and capable.
                    We shouldn't coddle JV over 6-12 reg season, then 0-6mins post season. Seems most have come to terms with this.

Comment

• I think we can all agree this will b JV last year with raps..I just don't c coach Casey utilizing or playing him with the group raps have..
                      "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                      My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Great game jv. It's out of your hands now. Just continue being a good teammate and beasting near the rim for the first half of the 1st and 3rd.

Best 18 mpg player in the nba? Lol
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Great game jv. It's out of your hands now. Just continue being a good teammate and beasting near the rim for the first half of the 1st and 3rd.

Best 18 mpg player in the nba? Lol
                          At some point the lack of offence and rebounding when he sits will force Casey's hand. It'll be a couple of unnecessary losses first though.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

At some point the lack of offence and rebounding when he sits will force Casey's hand. It'll be a couple of unnecessary losses first though.
                            Force Casey's hand? Huh? What? Are you new around here??

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                              Force Casey's hand? Huh? What? Are you new around here??
                              I mean, at least he finally benched Bebe tonight
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                                I mean, at least he finally benched Bebe tonight
                                Backup C got no minutes and JV still got limited to 18 lol.

Expecting Casey to play him more is a pipe dream

Comment

Working...
                                X